DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using an old RS VHF/UHF Indoor Antenna. Not getting all of the OTA channels. I would like to buy one that is dedicated for HDTV. Any of the RS Line-up that are decent?
Thx

·
Up The Irons!
5,775 Posts
Try a Silver Sensor.

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
I agree that the Silver Sensor is among the best indoor antennas. Just realize that indoor antennas are very limited in what they can do compared to a good outdoor or even attic-installed antenna.

For the best antenna advice specific to your neighborhood, check out the "Local HDTV Reception Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
485 Posts
Just put up a CM4228A by channel master in the attic and it blows away the Radio shack U-75R I had. Picked up about 8 new channels that the U-75R didn't see. Nice it you have the attic space. Now I want to put it up on the roof to see what it can really do.:D

·
Legend
228 Posts
I am using a Silver Sensor on a system w/out access to an otherwise available roof-mounted antenna. Clearly the roof mount (attached to another HR-20) is superior but in my case (approx 25 mi from source antenna) the Silver Sensor gets pretty decent signal strength (say, 70-75 vs. the roof-mount of 90+). Still, not too bad - especially for $20-ish.

·
Legend
247 Posts
Great resource for what antennas you should get is http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
Tells you what type and what range antenna you need for your location.
A good place to browse for an antenna is
http://www.antennasdirect.com
On the left side of the page it breaks down by many different categories of antenna.For example : short range,medium and long range.
Im looking at the Db2. It can be used for outdoor or indoor use. I think it has a range up to 30 miles.
I might go with the silver sensor first. Im 28 miles away from the towers and I've heard people say they can get a pretty good signal from about that range.
Good luck to you

·
4 Posts
I would like to buy one that is dedicated for HDTV
HDTV dedicated antenna is nonsense, there is no such thing. Marketing spin...

Silver sensor is a good one, CM4228 suggested above is better for sure, but it is a large outdoor antenna!

The first thing to do is to check with AntennaWeb which area you are in. With an indoor antenna there is a hope for yellow zone stations only...

You may also want to check the antenna reviews on "HDTV antenna labs", it looks like HDTVa and HDTVlp are good options too.

·
AllStar
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ericgo said:
HDTV dedicated antenna is nonsense, there is no such thing. Marketing spin...

Silver sensor is a good one, CM4228 suggested above is better for sure, but it is a large outdoor antenna!

The first thing to do is to check with AntennaWeb which area you are in. With an indoor antenna there is a hope for yellow zone stations only...

You may also want to check the antenna reviews on "HDTV antenna labs", it looks like HDTVa and HDTVlp are good options too.
Okay, Thanks. I will check those sites out. I will research before I buy. No big hurry.

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
When I search for 07070, multiple story building, with an airport within 2 miles (it's more like 10 miles, but just for a "worst-case" scenario), I pick up only FOX and CBS in yellow. I pick up NBC, and ABC in red antenna types. These are the only 4 that I really care about, as I'd rather have real HD instead of HD-lite for the Super Bowl.

The problem is that I live in a condo building and my balcony only faces dead-east.

1) Does compass orientation matter that much for an indoor antenna?
2) Can a Silver Sensor potentially pick up "red - vhf" antenna typed stations?

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
mcbeevee said:
2) The Silver Sensor is UHF only, so it will not help if you have VHF HD channels
If you need VHF, the Terk HDTVi is a decent alternative (looks like a Silver Sensor w/ the addition of "rabbit ears"). Most Terk stuff is overpriced junk, but I've found the HDTVi to work quite well.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
You won't find a lot of useful info on indoor antennas, mainly because reception is so variable depending on type of construction, direction of windows etc. The "customer reviews" you will see posted on some of the web buying sites are pretty worthless. And do not be fooled by the ads which tell you you need an HDTV antenna. There is NO DIFFERENCE between HDTV and regular signals as far as the antenna is concerned.
But if you need to start somewhere:

Go to antennaweb. Input your address not just your zip.
Any "yellow" stations you can POSSIBLY get with an indoor antenna. "Red" and above, probably not.
If all your digital stations are UHF, try the Silver Sensor (unamplified model). Not much good for VHF unless the transmitters are very close.
If you have VHF as well, try the Terk HDTVi. Only that one, not any of the other Terks - it's a clone of the Silver Sensor but has the added rabbit ears for VHF.
Try various locations for the antenna, maybe as high as possible.

If those don't work, then probably none of the indoor antennas will work. That's not 100%, sometimes you may find one of the other indoor antennas works for you because of your specific conditions, but not often.

Then you are into attic or outside antennas. here you usually need some expert advice. Post in the "local HDTV reception forum" of AVS forum, you will get advice from other people in your area.

·
4 Posts
Does compass orientation matter that much for an indoor antenna?
I respectfully disagree with macbeevee and say: for most of us it doesn't matter. It depends a lot on the materials your house is built of and the environment you live in, in general. If your home is electromagnetically transparent, then yes, you should point an indoor antenna in the right direction. But typically, a signal picked up by an indoor antenna is bounced off the walls and other objects, i.e. there is no line of sight between the antenna and the towers.

bwaldron said:
If you need VHF, the Terk HDTVi is a decent alternative (looks like a Silver Sensor w/ the addition of "rabbit ears"). Most Terk stuff is overpriced junk, but I've found the HDTVi to work quite well.
There is absolutely no chance HDTVi VHF rabbit ears will pick up a red area broadcast. To pull in a red zone station you need a directional antenna, and VHF directional antenna is a large, expensive and ugly thing. You need something like Winegard HD7080P, man...

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
325xia said:
Okay, thanks for the advice. I will look into Silver Sensor. I have to have an Indoor.
Word of advice... Be careful with it. Mine was not made well and broke within the first few days of use.

I know, I know, you get what you pay for.

I have a neighbor that is using one with marginal success. It certainly is worth a try if an external or attic mount antenna install is not possible. Best of luck!

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Maybe I can convince Digital Media (out of Bridgeport, CT; our condo building's system operator) to install and manage an OTA antenna, run the cables into the wiring rooms on each floor, and then patch it into each apartment that requests it.

Contract time is coming up, and we could use this as a bargaining chip. We'll resign for 3 years, if and only if, we get OTA HD-capability installed and run.

Thanks for the input, fellas.

·
Godfather
420 Posts
Another note about the Silver Sensor, while it works great it is a highly directional antenna, which means it has to be pointed in the direction of the towers. In my case I have towers in two completely different directions (about 90 deg apart) so I could only pick up a few stations at a time. So be sure and check antennaweb.org to see where your towers are.

·
Icon
777 Posts
The solder joint on the backside of the F connector is very fragile. If you drop it the solder joint may break even though nothing appears to be wrong on the outside.

·
Mentor
46 Posts
dardia said:
Maybe I can convince Digital Media (out of Bridgeport, CT; our condo building's system operator) to install and manage an OTA antenna, run the cables into the wiring rooms on each floor, and then patch it into each apartment that requests it.

Contract time is coming up, and we could use this as a bargaining chip. We'll resign for 3 years, if and only if, we get OTA HD-capability installed and run.

Thanks for the input, fellas.
If you live in the condo as owners and not renters, then should talk to the board about installing a master antenna system. You probably have cable, but you can make the point that for the best HDTV, an OTA is required, and it would be in most owners interest to put a master antenna system in. There are competent businesses that can quote a system for you. They should be in the yellow pages.

You do not want a condo mangement company installing a master antenna system. I doubt they know their distribution amplifiers from the doughnuts. :p

·
Legend
115 Posts
I have a RCA powered indoor HD antenna that I picked up at bestbuy. Sits on a shelf above my TV. I'm able to pull in all the Boston HD channels (+ Providence). I can't tell the difference between the Boston OTA and D* HD Locals.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.