DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm giving a relatively new PC to my brother, but several programs I wish to leave installed for him to use. Other than that, I uninstalled some stuff and deleted using Eraser a bunch of files and other items I don't want him or the kids to find (nothing weird, illegal, or anything like that--just private stuff).

Got some questions for the tech gurus here:

• How do I delete all Bookmarks in Firefox and all Favorites in IE?
  • I deleted all Cookies and the Internet History from FF and IE, but it appears that there is some history still present. Is there a certain way to make sure everything is gone?
  • How do I copy all my current Firefox Bookmarks to my new PC?
  • It looks like my Hotmail account still auto-logs in when this PC boots. What's the best way to delete this entire thing altogether?
I think that's all for now. Any other tips anyone can give, feel free to share them.

Thanks

· Know Nothing
6,269 Posts
I could tell you some of that in SeaMonkey or Opera, but not FF or IE.

Mozilla might use a similar structure though:

Windows 7:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

After that will be an alphanumeric identifier for each profile.

In that directory you'd be looking for abook.mab, history.mab, signons.sqlite and signons2.txt

Those can be transferred to another PC in a profile under the same directory tree.

Might be easier and more effective though to delete and reinstall FF.

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jerry downing said:
Reformat the drive and then re-install the software that you wish to keep.
Believe me, I know that's the easiest way. However, I don't have a lot of the software of many of the programs, which is why I wanted to know how to delete certain things.

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SayWhat? said:
I could tell you some of that in SeaMonkey or Opera, but not FF or IE.

Mozilla might use a similar structure though:

Windows 7:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

After that will be an alphanumeric identifier for each profile.

In that directory you'd be looking for abook.mab, history.mab, signons.sqlite and signons2.txt

Those can be transferred to another PC in a profile under the same directory tree.

Might be easier and more effective though to delete and reinstall FF.
Dummy me just remembered how to backup my FF Bookmarks, so that question is now moot. :)

· Icon
883 Posts
Lord Vader said:
I'm giving a relatively new PC to my brother, but several programs I wish to leave installed for him to use. Other than that, I uninstalled some stuff and deleted using Eraser a bunch of files and other items I don't want him or the kids to find (nothing weird, illegal, or anything like that--just private stuff).

Got some questions for the tech gurus here:

• How do I delete all Bookmarks in Firefox and all Favorites in IE?
  • I deleted all Cookies and the Internet History from FF and IE, but it appears that there is some history still present. Is there a certain way to make sure everything is gone?
  • How do I copy all my current Firefox Bookmarks to my new PC?
  • It looks like my Hotmail account still auto-logs in when this PC boots. What's the best way to delete this entire thing altogether?
I think that's all for now. Any other tips anyone can give, feel free to share them.

Thanks
If this is a Windows 7 machine (or Vista) then the IE bookmarks are in c:\user\"username"\favorites I believe

I'm not at home & have IE 7 here at work but on IE 7 to get rid of the pre-filled out forms go to Tools->Internet Options->Content. It's the AutoComplete stuff. I think it is in the same place on IE8.

· Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts
Create an alternative account with Admin rights.
Log on as the new user.
Delete the previous account and choose to delete the associated files and settings.
Open the Control Panel and under Folder Options, show hidden files and folders.
Navigate to C:\Users\previous account name and delete any remaining files and folders.

Turn off System Restore, reboot, and turn it back on.

Download and run CCleaner and do a default cleanup.

This is not the DOD method, but it's good enough for most folks.
If you want complete assurance that nothing can be recovered, then you'll have to use a utility that scrubs free space by doing multiple passes of reads and writes. This way, recovery software cannot get it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.