DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Icon/Supporter
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the merger decision was going to be finalized by this fall and now some people are saying that the merger isn't even going to happen. :confused: I guess I missed alot during the 6 weeks I was gone. Can someone please fill me in on the merger status?

· Mentor
31 Posts
Well,
FIrst reports surfaced that the Justice Department recodmended that the merger be opposed. And earlier this week the Fcc was also rumored to say no as well.

Charlie Ergen is suppose to give a depostion to the FCC tomorrow (friday October 4, 2002) in a last attempt to save the merger.

A descion is suppose to be made thereafter...i been hearing in 2 weeks or the beginning of November

The sooner the better...please

Later
Billy N.

G

·
I guess I'm confused because I've had two dealers tell me that Dish has already purchased DirecTV. Are they just blowing smoke up the ol' crack or am I just not seeing the difference between "buying" and "merging"???

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Most "mergers" ar eone company buying the other. In fact that is what this one will be----if it happens----although tehre are a lot of financial angles to it.

It has not received regualtory (DoJ or FCC) approval or approval from GM or GMH stokholders.

Some dealers ar straight shooters. Some are not. And some are misinformed.

· Hall Of Fame
1,118 Posts
All I have to say is that it would NOT be fair if AT&T merged with Comcast, and Dish couldn't merge with DirecTV. They are a definition of how crappy service could be and how issues can arise. I don't think the satellite merger would be half as bad as the way AT&T does customers.

· Icon
720 Posts
"AT&T and Comcast does not reduce competition. Dish & Directv does."

Well, then if the government lets the cable industry EXIST as monopolies without regultion, it should clearly have no problem with Dish&Direc forming a monopoly with regulations, like universal pricing, which cable doesn't even come close to doing. They extort one city to give another a great deal. They make some cities pay for the cable companies mistake of buying them.

G

·
I think that if Echostar gives the federal regulators what they want in the way of concessions,the federal regulators will give
Echostar permission to buy their rival Directv.If Echostar wants the crown jewels that badly they will concede.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.