DBSTalk Forum banner

What's the point of the sports pack?

7K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  fleckrj 
#1 ·
I signed up for DTV yesterday while at Sam's Club. The sales lady talked about the sports package, and thought it sounded great(but would have to be added at time of installation). Then I remembered later that the actual sporting events on those regional sports channels are blacked out(correct me if I'm wrong.) I do know there are a couple non-regional channels like Fox Soccer, but besides that, what's the point of the sports package at $13/month when you can't watch sporting events? Does anyone actually sign up for these? Seems like it would make more sense to include the soccer channel in another main package. I'd like that one in particular but not for $13. Am I missing something?

#2 ·
The out of market sports packages do not include pre and post game shows, but adding the sports pack gives you access to them. Some customers can watch additional pro sports by adding the sports pack. In Fresno, by adding the sports pack, I can watch Laker games on 692. Also, there are a few Pac-12 football and basketball games that are on regional channels that I can't get without the sports pack.

#4 ·
I'm in Texas in the FSSW region. So on some of the regional networks I'll be able to catch some college football games, for example? So they aren't all blacked out? Would I be able to watch any NHL hockey? Like Bruins games on NESN or the Rangers on MSG? I'd assume not since it would hurt Center Ice?

#7 ·
For the most part you are correct in your assumptions. The $13 is pretty outlandish for the "PRO" sports fan, since most everything is blacked out unless you have the appropriate package (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL). Although, If you are an out of market pro fan you will be able to watch the local RSN programming for your team. Some of which are produced very well.

But if you have any interest in College sports then the $13 may very well be worth it. Hoops and Football are on like crazy during the season and almost none of those games are blacked out.

Think if the Sports Package like the HBO, Showtime Movie packages, sometimes you pick up one of those packages just to be able to see a certain series (Game of Thrones, Californication) you may not watch it all the time, but the value of the package is worth it to watch that one (or more) show.

#8 ·
Sounds like it will be worth it for college football. I'm not that interested in actual pre-post game type shows, I don't think they're actually very good unfortunately. At least what we get on FSSW.

David, not set to get that one right now, the sales person just briefly mentioned something about it and didn't think about it again until getting on this forum today. I think I want to do it. Will cost $99? Should be able to call and switch it without problem as long as it's before installation(next Friday) right? I definitely don't need THAT many tuners, but I do have issues when two things record and a live sporting event is on.

#9 ·
Shady12 said:
Sounds like it will be worth it for college football. I'm not that interested in actual pre-post game type shows, I don't think they're actually very good unfortunately. At least what we get on FSSW.

David, not set to get that one right now, the sales person just briefly mentioned something about it and didn't think about it again until getting on this forum today. I think I want to do it. Will cost $99? Should be able to call and switch it without problem as long as it's before installation(next Friday) right? I definitely don't need THAT many tuners, but I do have issues when two things record and a live sporting event is on.
Yes it should be $99 for new customers. The HR34 also does PIP.

The order change could affect the installation date, so I wouldn't delay calling to make the change.

#12 ·
Shady12 said:
I'm in Texas in the FSSW region. So on some of the regional networks I'll be able to catch some college football games, for example? So they aren't all blacked out? Would I be able to watch any NHL hockey? Like Bruins games on NESN or the Rangers on MSG? I'd assume not since it would hurt Center Ice?
Nope!

Those games would all be blacked out. You'd need Center Ice to see them.

#13 ·
I have the sports pack primarily for college basketball, but also for college, football, baseball, swimming, and gymnastics, the coaches' shows and cycling (Tirreno–Adriatico is on this week) and swimming on Universal Sports.

With the sports pack and ESPN Full Court, I get all of the Kentucky basketball games, including Big Blue Madness, the Blue-White scrimmage, and the pre-season exihibition games. It is tough being a Kentucky fan in the middle of ACC country. For us, the sports pack is worth it.

#15 ·
I think the sports pack is one of DirecTV's main advantages over cable. I used to live in Dallas and New York. Although my loyalties have changed to the Arizona Sports teams, these channels allow me to keep up with my old teams. Also, many of the RSNs have in depth daily sports shows. And when a marquee player gets signed to a team, you can watch all the coverage on that team's RSN. It's included in the Premier Pak, And I watch it all the time, Especially Right Now for Spring Training!

#16 ·
Agree with other posters, pre-game and post-game reports also LOTS of college football. It also has Universal Sports (chan 625). If you enjoy any Olympic type sports,ie: swimming,skiing,bobsled,track,all major bicycle racing,etc, Universal has a TON of it! Rumor has it they will switch to HD latter this year....

#18 ·
ericcooper1956@att.net said:
I have seen pre and post game shows several times on NHL CI and MLB EI. Is it a fluke that I see these?
The short answer is "yes". It all depends on what DirecTV has planned for the bandwidth before and after the game. Sometimes they show the pre and post game shows, and sometimes they do not. With the Sports Pack, you always get to see those shows.

#19 ·
One other thing I wanted to make sure of. I am in the 1% or whatever that doesn't get locals on DirecTV(San Angelo, TX). I know in the past you were basically SOL, no way to get another market's locals here without a waiver that was never approved.

Lady who signed us up the other day said it's not like that anymore, for one you can do that tuner/antenna(name escapes me at the moment) allowing you to get locals by antenna and allows you to use the guide/DVR to view/record. If true that's fine. But she also said for $5 a month we COULD get locals from any market of our choosing(and I'd rather go that option). Is that actually true? I know you can if you're in the country or rural area but I'm not..I'm located in a city that doesn't have a deal for local network affiliates to be on DTV, but it is possible to get them OTA(I assume).

#20 ·
I believe the OTA thing is called a AM21? from what i gather you can only get certain channels that are listed on a list for your local area??

I've never heard of the $5 any market deal.. if that's true that be great!

#21 ·
Yeah, AM21. Hopefully the person knew what they were talking about and my local ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox are on that list. If not, and they don't let me get out of market channels, I'll be cancelling. Only reason I didn't have DirecTV a long time ago was because of those limitations.

#22 ·
I agree that you have to see it like HBO or another premium movie package.

I'm a big hockey fan and I get it for two reasons. One is that we are in the
Columbus Blue Jackets' TV area though we are closer to Cleveland. If one of the CBJ games conflicts with a Cleveland Cavaliers' game on Fox Sports Ohio we get it on 661/-1, Fox Sports Cincy because 660/-1 has the Cavs. Even though I have NHLCI, we don't get the game without sports pack. I've called and written the Jackets, FSN and DTV but since the debut of the team 13 years ago that's been the story.

The other even bigger reason I like it is for College hockey. During Jan. and Feb. this year Friday nights were like "College Hockey Night." FCS, BTN, FSN Det., NESN, FSN North and RTRM all had live and delayed college hockey. NBCSN isn't part of sports pack but they also have Friday games. It's less consistent during the post-season but it's usually possible to watch the entire NCAA Tournament with Sports Pack.

Right now I'm watching Alaska-Anchorage vs. U-Minnesota on 668 in HD in a packed Mariucci Arena.

Also, although it is a local item for me, those around the country with the sports package are able to see the Ohio High School Hockey Final Four on Sports Time Ohio 662 right now. Chicago, Michigan and Minnesota HS tourneys are usually televised.

#23 ·
ohpuckhead said:
I agree that you have to see it like HBO or another premium movie package.

I'm a big hockey fan and I get it for two reasons. One is that we are in the
Columbus Blue Jackets' TV area though we are closer to Cleveland. If one of the CBJ games conflicts with a Cleveland Cavaliers' game on Fox Sports Ohio we get it on 661/-1, Fox Sports Cincy because 660/-1 has the Cavs. Even though I have NHLCI, we don't get the game without sports pack. I've called and written the Jackets, FSN and DTV but since the debut of the team 13 years ago that's been the story.

The other even bigger reason I like it is for College hockey. During Jan. and Feb. this year Friday nights were like "College Hockey Night." FCS, BTN, FSN Det., NESN, FSN North and RTRM all had live and delayed college hockey. NBCSN isn't part of sports pack but they also have Friday games. It's less consistent during the post-season but it's usually possible to watch the entire NCAA Tournament with Sports Pack.

Right now I'm watching Alaska-Anchorage vs. U-Minnesota on 668 in HD in a packed Mariucci Arena.

Also, although it is a local item for me, those around the country with the sports package are able to see the Ohio High School Hockey Final Four on Sports Time Ohio 662 right now. Chicago, Michigan and Minnesota HS tourneys are usually televised.
I didn't think about college hockey..would love to be able to watch more. Right now I can only watch it on NBCSN on Fridays. Just hope I can indeed get the networks where I live.. Otherwise I'll have to go with Dish which does have our locals.

#24 ·
Shady12 said:
Yeah, AM21. Hopefully the person knew what they were talking about and my local ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox are on that list. If not, and they don't let me get out of market channels, I'll be cancelling. Only reason I didn't have DirecTV a long time ago was because of those limitations.
What the AM21 does is provides you with an ASTC (digital TV) tuner and integrates your over-the-air local guide data into the DirecTV guide and allows you to switch to your local channels as if they were coming from DirecTV; however, you do need to have an antenna connected to the AM21, because you are receiving the locals over the air through the AM21, and not from the satellite.

If you live in an area that has local stations over the air, but they are not carried by DirecTV, then DirecTV cannot provide out of market locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox) unless your local station gives you a waiver.

#25 ·
fleckrj said:
What the AM21 does is provides you with an ASTC (digital TV) tuner and integrates your over-the-air local guide data into the DirecTV guide and allows you to switch to your local channels as if they were coming from DirecTV; however, you do need to have an antenna connected to the AM21, because you are receiving the locals over the air through the AM21, and not from the satellite.

If you live in an area that has local stations over the air, but they are not carried by DirecTV, then DirecTV cannot provide out of market locals (CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox) unless your local station gives you a waiver.
Thanks, I guess the sales lady was full of BS. Does DirecTV provide an antenna? Is it just something that you can put on top of the TV? If so are they fairly cheap? I'll need to call to make sure the installer has the AM21 etc. with him and if all of this is viable where I live. Will be a bummer if I have to cancel.

#26 ·
The AM21 works really well. I have DTV locals but am right on the edge of the DMA (2 towns east gets totally different locals). With an antenna, I am able to get the other DMA's locals actually better than "my" locals so the AM21 lets me add both to the guide. Personally, I could never have TV that didn't include NESN. Even if there are few-to-no games (most Spring Training Red Sox games and Bruins-in-2 repeats are NOT blacked out). MSG has some good programming, too. Like others have said, depending on where you live, you might other teams that a non-sports pack sub includes. MOST college and non-big 4 sports are not blacked out, either. Since Universal Sports is not OTA anymore, it's nice to have that, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.