DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
texasbrit,

When you say does not fast forward properly, does it sometimes work and sometimes not and most times (if not nearly always), stop and stutter in place without proceeding any further? I have noticed that a lot in watching recorded programs and wondered if I maybe had a faulty receiver, or is that common on the HR20s?

scubaduba,

Without having read texasbrit's response first, I had come up with the the same three points. I've had the HR20 for a little over a week now, and allowing that it will take me some time to get used to the unit's interface and such, I still find myself thinking as I'm watching recorded material, etc. that the TiVo sure is better in my book.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
scubaduba said:
Thanks everyone! I do love the TIVO interface so any D* unit with Tivo is a plus in my book. I agree with the strengths of the dual tuners, info buffer, 30 second skip etc.

However, I should have been more clear in my original post. I don't subscribe to D* HDTV but I do have a Panasonic HDTV so I could benefit from the OTA HD stuff with the HR10-250. I purchased both a HR10-250 and a SD-DVR40 yesterday at Compusa on clearance and I'm deciding which one to keep. I could upgrade the drive size on the sd-dvr40.

What's the real benefit to me to keep the HR10-250 vs. the sd-DVR40? Is it worth the extra money? I got the SD-dvr40 for $19.99.

thanks
I would take a look at the posts regarding the apparent problems since the 6.3 upgrade on the HR10-250s. I would look at them as though D* will get them worked out at some point.

As for which to keep based on your getting the SDDVR40 for $19.99 - none of us knows your financial situation. If you can't afford the HR10, don't go with it. If you can, then you have to decide whether it's worth it to you. Kind of tough having an HDTV and not taking advantage of it. Personally, I love the HR10-250 (see my sig :)), but you have to decide for yourself.

As mentioned, D* will be phasing their HD stuff to MPEG4, but the HR10-250 can always record your OTA HD stuff, so if OTA works for you... well, for me it's a no-brainer, but you have to decide in your situation.

Good Luck.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
scubaduba said:
Excuse my ignorance here but how do you switch between watching satellite TV and OTA TV with the hr10-250? Does it do it all in one guide? In other words, say I'm watching Sci-Fi and then want to switch to one of my local OTA HD channels. How do I do it?
One of the set-up steps allows you to scan for OTA signals - this will pick up channels with a signal strong enough to register. Once the set-up is successfully run, those additional OTA stations should be listed in the program guide along with the satellite channels. For mine, the SD locals from D* are 2, 4, 5, 9, 11 etc. The OTA Digital HD locals are 2-1, 4-1, 5-1, 9-1, 11-1 and a few have subchannels such as 9-2 and 11-2.

To tune to those channels you press, for example, 9 then the skip forward button -| for the dash, then 1 to get 9-1. That's really the only difference than the "normal" channel numbers. All the rest of the functions (programming season passes, etc) work the same as everything else. No switches of any kind or anything like that - it's all internal by the HR10-250 unit. Almost seamless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.