DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why us the HR10-250 so popular? It doesn't work with the new Mpeg4 technology correct? What's the real benefit?

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I do love the TIVO interface so any D* unit with Tivo is a plus in my book. I agree with the strengths of the dual tuners, info buffer, 30 second skip etc.

However, I should have been more clear in my original post. I don't subscribe to D* HDTV but I do have a Panasonic HDTV so I could benefit from the OTA HD stuff with the HR10-250. I purchased both a HR10-250 and a SD-DVR40 yesterday at Compusa on clearance and I'm deciding which one to keep. I could upgrade the drive size on the sd-dvr40.

What's the real benefit to me to keep the HR10-250 vs. the sd-DVR40? Is it worth the extra money? I got the SD-dvr40 for $19.99.

thanks

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments everyone.

Money isn't a real issue. Of course I'd rather spend as little as I need to... but don't we all. I guess I'm lookin at it like I can get a wireless gateway, usb adapter, new 160 GB harddrive, and the upgrade ISO images to uprade the drive on the sd-dvr40 for $110 including the sd-dvr40 itself. For the wireless gateway and usb adapter and ISO images for an upgrade on the HR10-250 I'd be at $330. That's a $220 difference. I'm just not sure its worth it.

If I keep the HR10-250 what kind of antenae do I really need for OTA HD? A large outdoor roof mounted antenae is out of the question for me due to neighborhood association rules. A satellite dish is all I can get away with. Are there good indoor antenaes? that might work? I don't live to far away from the city. I'm in a suburb but not to far from the city.

Thanks again.

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JLucPicard said:
As mentioned, D* will be phasing their HD stuff to MPEG4, but the HR10-250 can always record your OTA HD stuff, so if OTA works for you... well, for me it's a no-brainer, but you have to decide in your situation.

Good Luck.
Excuse my ignorance here but how do you switch between watching satellite TV and OTA TV with the hr10-250? Does it do it all in one guide? In other words, say I'm watching Sci-Fi and then want to switch to one of my local OTA HD channels. How do I do it?

·
AllStar
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok. At antennaweb.com 3 of the local HD's are yellow and another is red. Is that good or bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.