DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...turning off the blue circle?

I am patiently waiting for an up rev to FIX THE F'-IN FREEZE PROBLEM! (grrrrrr!):mad:

This way I would be alerted to that.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Steps to turning off the blue death ray:

1) Remove .357 from holster
2) Take careful aim
3) Don't pull the trigger, I'm just messing with you...

Version 2
1) Grab big role of 2" gaffer's tape
2) Cut into 30 or 40 2" strips
3) Starting at the top, very carefully layer the tape on the blue ring
4) Be very careful not to burn yourself... :)

Version 3
Lots of black paint... :)

Actually I've saved quite a bit on nitelite costs in my house... :D

On a more serious side, several people have used various levels of translucent tape to dim the lights without forgoing them altogether. I personally like the rotations as one FF's or REW's.

Cheers,
Tom

· Broadcast Engineer
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, I've always seen you as such a kind and gentle soul. Today we are seeing a different side of you :D :grin: (the drunk Elvis version)

· Registered
31,115 Posts
TomCat said:
Tom, I've always seen you as such a kind and gentle soul. Today we are seeing a different side of you :D :grin: (the drunk Elvis version)
Startin' to kinda likin' it... :lol:

In any case....the lights being "turned off" as an option in the setup menu might be something for the suggestion box.

In my case, it means nothing and has no impact (plus the bugs flying around kinda like it)...but it keeps coming up from a number of other folks...

· Registered
8,671 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Startin' to kinda likin' it... :lol:

In any case....the lights being "turned off" as an option in the setup menu might be something for the suggestion box.

In my case, it means nothing and has no impact (plus the bugs flying around kinda like it)...but it keeps coming up from a number of other folks...
that's an image of your house I didn't need TMI :eek2:

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
TomCat said:
...turning off the blue circle?

I am patiently waiting for an up rev to FIX THE F'-IN FREEZE PROBLEM! (grrrrrr!):mad:

This way I would be alerted to that.
You can find answers to this question (and many others) by checking out the Undocumented Tips & Tricks in the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

9 Posts
Doug Brott said:
You can find answers to this question (and many others) by checking out the Undocumented Tips & Tricks in the following thread:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648
The document above notes that there are bugs within Autorecord. Do those bugs still exist, or is the document out of date. I'm a new HR21 (previously HR10-250) user, and I seem to be having issues setting up some keyword autorecords.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Trace
Jax, FL

· Icon
731 Posts
Yes.. it is very important to turn off the blue ring. Seems many around here don't realize that when they are on, that means Direct TV can see you and they do watch you. They claim it's for your well being.. but I don't like the intrusion into my house.

· Icon
507 Posts
msmith said:
Does anybody have a solution to the Ethernet lights on the back of the HR21? They're doing a good job of lighting up the wall behind the unit.
Some people pay big bucks for the ambient lighting feature!

· Registered
31,115 Posts
EricJRW said:
Some people pay big bucks for the ambient lighting feature!
OK...I confess...earlier bug (joke) references aside...

The blue light is very nominal in my Home Theater, which has 0% other ambient light. I don't think its that big a deal myself....but there is the aforementioned means to dim it if needed.

· AllStar
106 Posts
The blue light bugs me (no pun intended) in our HT as well since all the other stuff in there goes dark. But I had to post this funny...when we set up the room we put the HR20 and our massive Onk in the same cabinet and installed a third shelf to bake bread on while watching tv with the surround system on. So to deal with the heat my husband bought a large computer fan and installed it in the back. Unfortunately he did not intially notice that it was a raging glowing blue when turned on. That immediately had to go! I don't mind the blue light during the day time or when just watching ordinary tv shows with the lights on but when we are in movie mode I want it dark.

One option is to use a receiver that uses an RF remote and sticking it inside a cabinet. Our H10 was behind a solid door out of sight. Even if you turn off the center ring light, the two side ones glow like two eyes... Our Sony BluRay is totally dark, and we can make our Onkyo totally dark. The TV has a teeny green light but you can barely see it. I think that in future versions of the box they need to get rid of this stupid ring of lights. I thought it was cute until it got dark the first day.

hdtvfan0001 said:
OK...I confess...earlier bug (joke) references aside...

The blue light is very nominal in my Home Theater, which has 0% other ambient light. I don't think its that big a deal myself....but there is the aforementioned means to dim it if needed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.