AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I was reviewing my bill and noticed a difference in tax percentages:

Leased Receiver $4.99 tax $0.35
Additional Receiver $4.99 tax $0.66
D* Protection Plan $7.99 tax $0.56 (which I understand is $5.99 for others)

I hope i'm not coming off like i'm crying over pennies here. I'm not trying to get away with not paying my share. I just want to understand why an "Additional Receiver" charge has a higher tax bracket then say a leased receiver or other transactions. I know taxes vary and are seldom questioned, i'm sure there's some logical explanation, just i'm not aware of it:(

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
FYI before other asks...

There are some states that require DBS Service providers to charge tax.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
dtvmiami said:
OK, I was reviewing my bill and noticed a difference in tax percentages:

Leased Receiver $4.99 tax $0.35
D* Protection Plan $7.99 tax $0.56 (which I understand is $5.99 for others)

I hope i'm not coming off like i'm crying over pennies here. I'm not trying to get away with not paying my share. I just want to understand why an "Additional Receiver" charge has a higher tax bracket then say a leased receiver or other transactions. I know taxes vary and are seldom questioned, i'm sure there's some logical explanation, just i'm not aware of it:(
It varies by state. WA charges sales tax (8.6% in my county) on the leased receiver, but no tax on the rest of my bill including additional receiver. I'm not sure it is logical, but tax laws are often a bit complicated.

Apparently not everyone's protection plan was reduced when the rate change. You should call and have that corrected.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
dtvmiami said:
I know taxes vary and are seldom questioned, i'm sure there's some logical explanation, just i'm not aware of it:(
The root problem with your question is taxes and logic. I don't think those two things are compatible :D

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bobnielsen said:
It varies by state. WA charges sales tax (8.6% in my county) on the leased receiver, but no tax on the rest of my bill including additional receiver. I'm not sure it is logical, but tax laws are often a bit complicated.

Apparently not everyone's protection plan was reduced when the rate change. You should call and have that corrected.
I C.
And yes, will call on rate change, thanx for confirming

bluedogok said:
The root problem with your question is taxes and logic. I don't think those two things are compatible :D
Good one:lol: I agree, my bad:D

Thanx guys for the replies.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
bonscott87 said:
I haven't been charged any taxes yet for my leased receiver. Could be just a Detroit thing. Or they haven't caught up to me yet. :D
I don't live in Detroit itself, and I know my city doesn't tax this stuff. They probably screwed up and set your HR20 as an owned receiver. They did that with my H20.

·
AllStar
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JLucPicard said:
Kind of but not really off topic - it should take just one call to get the Protection Plan price dropped to $5.99 - there's over $2.00 a month savings right there.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=65119&highlight=Protection+Plan+$7.99
My goal of this thread was not really to save any money, just to understand why is the tax ($0.66) on a $4.99 "Additional Receiver" practically double the:
the tax ($0.35) on a $4.99 "Leased Receiver"

I guess the tax on an owned receiver in Fla. is dbl that of a leased one.

Yes, I'm aware of the thread on the $7.99 vs $5.99, I replied to it (see post #19). I'm grateful for u starting it, and understand it's prob retroactive.

I've received such generous deals from D* that I don't want to push my luck for a cpl bucks. I'll deal;) with that at another, in short I got 2 HR20's(even the $19.95 for S&H was covered with all credit I was given) and was given credit to buy my own HR10 and still have credit left over cause the HR10 I bought was less than $200. In the past I've actually been given a credit only to see it reversed because I got different deal at a different time.

·
Beer Aficionado
1,683 Posts
btalbott said:
Don't come to FL. 10.8% Unbelievable
You have that 10.8% sales tax because you don't have state income tax. Try having 5% sales tax in addition to an astronomical income tax!!!

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Mike Huss said:
You have that 10.8% sales tax because you don't have state income tax. Try having 5% sales tax in addition to an astronomical income tax!!!
Well, to be fair, the sales tax is not that high in all parts of Florida. Each county has its own added taxes in addition to the state base rate...some more than others. 10.8% ... yikes!

And correct, we do not pay state income tax.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
102 Posts
Mike Huss said:
I don't mind paying taxes, but considering that cable TV only pays 6.8%, having a satellite is a tad more expensive.

Base sales tax rate for FL is 6% with additional taxes levied by county/city. Where I live the current tax rate is 7.5%, but this doesn't apply to Directv services.

http://www.stopsatellitetax.com/legal/050505.html

Bill

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
btalbott said:
I don't mind paying taxes, but considering that cable TV only pays 6.8%, having a satellite is a tad more expensive.
Agreed!

·
Banned
614 Posts
So far no tax on my bill. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.