DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't watched much on Ch. 95 before last night, but a friend told me that the Penguins game was on. I told him he was wrong as my guide said that "Neil Young: Heart of Gold" was upcoming. But when I tuned to 95, it was the Penguins.

Then I decided to record Heart of Gold which the guide said was coming on at 9 central. When I went to record it, it let me record it. But when it started the logo on the screen said it was a PPV. After several minutes my HR 20 froze on a single shot with a message that kept flashing saying "Searching for Authorized Content."

After I rebooted my HR20, I went back to 95 and the audio track from Heart of Gold was coming through but the channel now gave me the option to purchase it as a PPV for $4.95. But when I switched to another channel and then switched back a couple minutes later, the option to purchase had changed from Heart of Gold to the Penguins game . . . even though I had watched the Penguins game for free earlier on the same channel.

I called DTV and complained about the wholly inaccurate guide for this station and didn't receive a good answer.

Does anyone know what's up with this channel???
 

·
Up The Irons!
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Not sure about last night but tonight they had a Dallas Mavs game available to only Dallas Subs on Channel 95.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,459 Posts
It might have been the HDNet game. D* hasn't authorized the MPEG 4 RSN for HDNet yet.
 

·
Up The Irons!
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Newshawk said:
It might have been the HDNet game. D* hasn't authorized the MPEG 4 RSN for HDNet yet.
Yeah it was the HDNet feed.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
bobnielsen said:
I thought 95 was for CONUS sports broadcasts.
It is but only if you are authorized to get it otherwise it will be blacked out. Like the hockey games that have been on are for Center Ice. If you have Center Ice you'll get it AND if the feed is from your local RSN then you'll also get it. Until yesterday afternoon the Sharks/Red Wings game was supposed to be on only to be changed to an NBA *preseason* game, but I won't go there. Anyway, what would have happened if the Wings game was on is that those with FSN Detroit would get the game as those with Center Ice. It would be blacked out to everyone else. Exception would be if it's a Versus game which is a channel available to everyone.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
642 Posts
As long as the Thursday and Saturday night NFL Network games are there in HD once the flex schedule starts, that's all I care about!:D
 

·
Up The Irons!
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
bonscott87 said:
It is but only if you are authorized to get it otherwise it will be blacked out. Like the hockey games that have been on are for Center Ice. If you have Center Ice you'll get it AND if the feed is from your local RSN then you'll also get it. Until yesterday afternoon the Sharks/Red Wings game was supposed to be on only to be changed to an NBA *preseason* game, but I won't go there. Anyway, what would have happened if the Wings game was on is that those with FSN Detroit would get the game as those with Center Ice. It would be blacked out to everyone else. Exception would be if it's a Versus game which is a channel available to everyone.
Not quite true, other than the Mavs/HDNet situation any game on Channel 95 regardless if you are in that teams DMA you will get the game without blackout. Your thinking if the game would be on Channel 96 or 97. I have the Center Ice package and have been watching hockey on 95 all season.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
DCSholtis said:
Not quite true, other than the Mavs/HDNet situation any game on Channel 95 regardless if you are in that teams DMA you will get the game without blackout.
That's the way it has worked for NHL and MLB. However, last year the NBA games on 95 (RSN feeds) were blacked out for out-of-market folks, even if they subscribed to the NBA pass. The games on 95 produced by NBA-TV were available.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
I had Sharks vs Red Wings blacked out yesterday for me and I live in San Jose. Talk about letdown when I saw nothing recorded.

What's interesting is tonight Sharks vs Predators on channel 79, HD NET. Will that be blacked out? I think so, but they do show the game at 8:30pm, perhaps the later feed will not be blacked out for the Bay Area?
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
DCSholtis said:
Not quite true, other than the Mavs/HDNet situation any game on Channel 95 regardless if you are in that teams DMA you will get the game without blackout. Your thinking if the game would be on Channel 96 or 97. I have the Center Ice package and have been watching hockey on 95 all season.
Nope, sorry, incorrect. Yes, you have Center Ice so you have no blackouts on 95 for NHL. I don't have Center Ice. So far any game that wasn't also on my local FSN or Versus has been blacked out because it's an out of market game. Same happened end of last NHL season when they started to carry some games on 95.

An example would be the Wings at Kings game a week ago. It was blacked out on 95 because it was a Fox Sports West production which is not my local RSN. Any Wings game on 95 that have been up so far that was from the Fox Sports Detroit feed was not blacked out because that is my local RSN.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
njdboy said:
What's interesting is tonight Sharks vs Predators on channel 79, HD NET. Will that be blacked out? I think so, but they do show the game at 8:30pm, perhaps the later feed will not be blacked out for the Bay Area?
No, you should be fine. HDNet is a national feed. Unless something has changed I never had the HDNet feed blacked out in favor of my local RSN feed. I think HDNet pays for national HD broadcast rights. BUT now that Fox Sports is starting to offer HD games as well who knows. But I'd place a good bet you won't be blacked out on HDNet.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
bonscott87 said:
No, you should be fine. HDNet is a national feed. Unless something has changed I never had the HDNet feed blacked out in favor of my local RSN feed. I think HDNet pays for national HD broadcast rights. BUT now that Fox Sports is starting to offer HD games as well who knows. But I'd place a good bet you won't be blacked out on HDNet.
Yeah I was thinking that too, I think this is the first Sharks game on HDNET, so I have yet to see the consequences.

Hopefully ONE of the feeds (5pm or 8:30pm) will come through, that's all I ask :lol:
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm still concerned about the screwed up guide. I'm not a huge hockey fan but it was kinda cool to see the Penguins game in HD. But the only reason I knew about it was a friend who was told that it would be available there by a DTV CSR. And, seriously, what's up with broadcasting the game for free earlier in the evening and for $4.99 later?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
12,971 Posts
95 is the catch-all HD channel. They split it up among free HD programming, RSN HD programming, sports package HD programming and PPV HD programming.

The guide is a mess. I just tune to it to see what is on half the time. The guide will change almost by the minute.

The same is true on the DirecTV website listing, too.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
bonscott87 said:
No, you should be fine. HDNet is a national feed. Unless something has changed I never had the HDNet feed blacked out in favor of my local RSN feed. I think HDNet pays for national HD broadcast rights. BUT now that Fox Sports is starting to offer HD games as well who knows. But I'd place a good bet you won't be blacked out on HDNet.
Well, unless things have changed this year, this is incorrect. Last year I was blacked out on every HDNet game involving the Lightning; had to watch the SD Sun Sports feed.
 

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,809 Posts
bwaldron said:
Well, unless things have changed this year, this is incorrect. Last year I was blacked out on every HDNet game involving the Lightning; had to watch the SD Sun Sports feed.
Then that would mean that in the Lightning home market your local RSN bought exclusive rights. In my market they did not. So it could be different from market to market, kinda like MLB.

No matter what, blackouts suck and are a mess.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Then that would mean that in the Lightning home market your local RSN bought exclusive rights. In my market they did not. So it could be different from market to market, kinda like MLB.

No matter what, blackouts suck and are a mess.
Yeah, it may well be different in different markets. I am 100% certain that there are blackouts on HDNet in this market for games involving the Lightning. It's never fun to have to watch SD when there is a HD broadcast they won't let you see.

The team, though, is good about letting Center Ice folks watch the other team's broadcast when they aren't televising a game.

And yes, blackouts do suck and are a mess!!!

On a related point, I've never gotten a good explanation of why they can't let subscribers to the league passes see both RSN feeds of a game when both are broadcasting.

Ah, well.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
bonscott87 said:
No, you should be fine. HDNet is a national feed. Unless something has changed I never had the HDNet feed blacked out in favor of my local RSN feed. I think HDNet pays for national HD broadcast rights. BUT now that Fox Sports is starting to offer HD games as well who knows. But I'd place a good bet you won't be blacked out on HDNet.
Guess what the sharks WERE blacked out in the Bay Area for the 5:00pm showing. So I guess HDNET doesn't have the national rights over local RSNs. The 8:30pm replay came through though.
 

·
Impossible Dreamer
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
njdboy said:
Guess what the sharks WERE blacked out in the Bay Area for the 5:00pm showing. So I guess HDNET doesn't have the national rights over local RSNs. The 8:30pm replay came through though.
Thanks for posting back. I thought you'd be blacked out (but sorry you were).

You know, I never even thought about what they were doing w/ the replays. Good to know that they're available for the few HDNet games I'm blacked out on.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top