DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Icon
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Minnesota. Was so axious.. now just depressed. Would a forced update help or not if I'm not in line?

·
Registered
12,591 Posts
No, a forced update now will just get you the last nationwide release. But there haven't been too many reports of serious problems with the 0x10B Release Candidate that was made available for 3 hours last night, so hopefully it will go nationwide soon.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
litzdog911 said:
No, a forced update now will just get you the last nationwide release. But there haven't been too many reports of serious problems with the 0x10B Release Candidate that was made available for 3 hours last night, so hopefully it will go nationwide soon.
There were no serious issues reported with 104 or 108 either yet we still never got those...

I'm not holding my breath... Looks like the "Delayed until 2007" may hold true for us East Coasters who couldn't take advantage of Santa's generosity.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Slyster said:
Yes.. here in the Midwest we are still on 0xFA beleive it or not!
RunnerFL said:
Same here in the Southeast.
There has not been a national update release since 0xFA. The only other releases are forced downloads received by some folks as interim releases. D*TV is working on a new update national release ASAP, and will push it out to everyone as soon as their testing validates it is at least or more stable than 0xFA.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
There has not been a national update release since 0xFA. The only other releases are forced downloads received by some folks as interim releases. D*TV is working on a new update national release ASAP, and will push it out to everyone as soon as their testing validates it is at least or more stable than 0xFA.
I'm WELL aware of this and that's what irks me... They get a release, give it to LA for a few days and say "it will go national soon" and it never does because along comes another release for LA. Then that one "will go national soon" and guess what? Yup, another new release for LA only... And of course we're being told it "will go national soon". Sorry, not exactly buying that line of BS for a fourth time.

And while this one shot deal of letting people force it is great, and I aplaud D* for doing it, they need to do it a few times instead of just for a 3 hour time period one night.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
RunnerFL said:
I'm WELL aware of this and that's what irks me... They get a release, give it to LA for a few days and say "it will go national soon" and it never does because along comes another release for LA. Then that one "will go national soon" and guess what? Yup, another new release for LA only... And of course we're being told it "will go national soon". Sorry, not exactly buying that line of BS for a fourth time.
Who said "it will go national soon"?

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
PoitNarf said:
Who said "it will go national soon"?
In hdtvfan0001's post that I quoted, plus other posts on here, and it's getting old...

Just as soon as a release will "go national soon" we have another that will "go national soon"...

I've seen no one report any serious bugs with 104, 108 and now 10b yet none have gone national "after testing" like we've been told they will. Next thing you know on Tuesday we'll see 0x10F in LA and us East Coasters will yet again have to wait for them to test it. It's getting ridiculous.

·
4 Posts
RunnerFL said:
In hdtvfan0001's post that I quoted, plus other posts on here, and it's getting old...

Just as soon as a release will "go national soon" we have another that will "go national soon"...

I've seen no one report any serious bugs with 104, 108 and now 10b yet none have gone national "after testing" like we've been told they will. Next thing you know on Tuesday we'll see 0x10F in LA and us East Coasters will yet again have to wait for them to test it. It's getting ridiculous.
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Anyone who is searching for info on the HR20 probably has the capabilities to deal with any problems that arise from downloading the new software. I think that the money we dished out for the HR20 kind of entitles us to "try if you would like" policy. Not everybody has the time to sit at the computer and wait for a magic window of time to appear.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Colburnk said:
I think you hit the nail right on the head. Anyone who is searching for info on the HR20 probably has the capabilities to deal with any problems that arise from downloading the new software. I think that the money we dished out for the HR20 kind of entitles us to "try if you would like" policy. Not everybody has the time to sit at the computer and wait for a magic window of time to appear.
The problem is... the software distribution system was not designed to allow that.
So for now.. ."magic" windows, are the only way (right now), to do it.

Hopefully, as time goes on... the "methods" can be improved, but for now...
It is better then nothing.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
The problem is... the software distribution system was not designed to allow that.
So for now.. ."magic" windows, are the only way (right now), to do it.

Hopefully, as time goes on... the "methods" can be improved, but for now...
It is better then nothing.
How about something along these lines. Download a small telnet client to the HR20 for everyone. Then post a link to an ftp server to download the update, along with instructions on how to telnet into the HR20 and install. What do you think?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
triley51 said:
How about something along these lines. Download a small telnet client to the HR20 for everyone. Then post a link to an ftp server to download the update, along with instructions on how to telnet into the HR20 and install. What do you think?
Then you still expose the software release, via FTP

To anyone in the computing world... which then leads to countless "other" issues.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Then you still expose the software release, via FTP

To anyone in the computing world... which then leads to countless "other" issues.
I wonder what issues you're referring to? ;)

Earl is right, exposing the updates like this poses a lot of risks on D*s part. Ain't gonna happen. Sat distribution works just fine.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
Slyster said:
Yes.. here in the Midwest we are still on 0xFA beleive it or not!
Santa offered it to anyone who wanted it. You have to be in the know which would be trolling this site at the right times.

I have it in Wisconsin and it is working great.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
If everyone thinks it is working great, why not release it nationwide?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
tonyd79 said:
If everyone thinks it is working great, why not release it nationwide?
It is... The rollout started last night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.