Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone,
I know this is kind of an odd question, given that the HR20 is primarily a satellite receiver. My specific situation is that I have great OTA signals available, but live in a condo that is only now in the process of upgrading the DirecTv distribution system to an HD capable system. If the HR20 will work as an OTA *only* receiver, I could get one right after OTA is enabled and use it for OTA recording until we get the new distribution system in.

Wait a minute, I seem to remember that the firmware updates come over satellite. I guess I could run another line off my current setup (destacker) for the satellite input. I guess I wouldn't receive any high def channels, but at least I could get the same programming I get now and have the unit updating the firmware as new versions are released.

Make sense?

Robert

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
If your place already has directv inputs, then you're all set. The HR20 should still be able to work even if the distribution system isn't up to date with all the MPEG4 stuff yet. It should be similar to using the HR20 with a 1LNB or 3LNB dish. Give it a shot and see if it works.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
You are doing well answering your own question. :)

Also, the guide information comes via sat.

Cheers,
Tom

·
You make it, We break it
4,480 Posts
Does to me. Since you get all the SD channels anyway with the HR-20, you would then simply get the OTAs in HD when it's activated. I don't know though if you would have to have the HD "subscription" for it to work with the OTAs. Plus - you need at least the 3-LNB dish in your complex to support HD reception for now. That doesn't apply to OTA, but still you may need the subscription. Someone else will prolly know better or have a better guess - EDIT: - like PoitNarf! Dagnabbit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.