DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
11,448 Posts
No, those are still MPEG2 except for local HD, which is MPEG4 for most people, except those on the east and west coasts and those eligible to receive those channels as Distant Network feeds.
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
30,090 Posts
Well... "Local-HD"...

If you are tuned to the MPEG-4 ones, they will be.
If you are tuned to the "80s", those are MPEG-2
And OTA is MPEG-2
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
kathymoore said:
When using HR20, are all HD channels received in MPEG4?
(Discovery, HDnet, local HD, PPV, etc....)

Thanks! :)
Depending on where you are in the country, HD locals are MPEG-4.

If you're getting east coast national network feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) then they're currently MPEG-2.

Discovery, HDnet, HDnet Movies, UHD, TNT-HD are currently MPEG-2.

All new HD content coming in summer of 2007 will be MPEG-4.

I've also heard rumors that east coast (and west coast) national network feeds will be transitioned to MPEG-4 in the future.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Well... "Local-HD"...

If you are tuned to the MPEG-4 ones, they will be.
If you are tuned to the "80s", those are MPEG-2
And OTA is MPEG-2
Wow, tough to be the first to reply with you guys monitoring the boards. :)
 

· Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
So I am curious, what is the difference, practically speaking, twixt these two formats? Is one a better quality, or perhaps take up less hard drive space when recording?
Thanks.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,743 Posts
HolmesCo said:
So I am curious, what is the difference, practically speaking, twixt these two formats? Is one a better quality, or perhaps take up less hard drive space when recording?
Thanks.
Quality varies by Local Markets but MPEG-4 does use less space.
From the user manual.
MPEG-2 HD 30 Hours capacity
MPEG-4 HD 50 Hours capacity
 

· Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Depending on where you are in the country, HD locals are MPEG-4.

If you're getting east coast national network feeds (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc) then they're currently MPEG-2.

Discovery, HDnet, HDnet Movies, UHD, TNT-HD are currently MPEG-2.

All new HD content coming in summer of 2007 will be MPEG-4.

I've also heard rumors that east coast (and west coast) national network feeds will be transitioned to MPEG-4 in the future.
So RadEng, I am near you, in Fairfield, apparently we are getting zippo in mpeg4 then? At the moment anyway. I thought my drive was filling up pretty fast.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
2,913 Posts
HolmesCo said:
So RadEng, I am near you, in Fairfield, apparently we are getting zippo in mpeg4 then? At the moment anyway. I thought my drive was filling up pretty fast.
I drive through Fairfield all the time, we're pretty darn close!

I get my HD locals through the Sacramento DMA. I'm getting FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC and CW in HD, all through DTV. I think they look pretty darn good (in MPEG-4) while others will say they look like crap.

In Fairfield do you get SF locals or Sacramento? Do you already have HD locals now?
 

· Icon
Joined
·
869 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I drive through Fairfield all the time, we're pretty darn close!

I get my HD locals through the Sacramento DMA. I'm getting FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC and CW in HD, all through DTV. I think they look pretty darn good (in MPEG-4) while others will say they look like crap.

In Fairfield do you get SF locals or Sacramento? Do you already have HD locals now?
We have family in Fairfield. They are on E* and get their locals through the SF/San Jose/Oakland DMA. Would it differ from E* to D*?
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,472 Posts
HolmesCo said:
So I am curious, what is the difference, practically speaking, twixt these two formats? Is one a better quality, or perhaps take up less hard drive space when recording?
MPEG4 is, as the designation suggests, is a follow-on to MPEG2. It has great potential for being able to send more detail but that will have to wait for refinements in the compression hardware. Unlike the computer user converting MP3s (MPEG3) or AVI files to some alternative scheme at whatever leasurely pace is required, the compressors for TV have to do it in real time.
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,472 Posts
packfan909 said:
We have family in Fairfield. They are on E* and get their locals through the SF/San Jose/Oakland DMA. Would it differ from E* to D*?
It may. Depending on what version of the DMA map is used by each company, the offerings may differ.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
869 Posts
harsh said:
It may. Depending on what version of the DMA map is used by each company, the offerings may differ.
I have already corrected myself. I looked up a Fairfield address for both D* and E*. Each provides Sacto DMA. Guess my family got a waiver on the Bay Area channels.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
765 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
I drive through Fairfield all the time, we're pretty darn close!

I get my HD locals through the Sacramento DMA. I'm getting FOX, ABC, CBS, NBC and CW in HD, all through DTV. I think they look pretty darn good (in MPEG-4) while others will say they look like crap.

In Fairfield do you get SF locals or Sacramento? Do you already have HD locals now?
Yes I get the sacto locals, and I think they look totzlly awesome! I watche CSI for the first time in my life monday, simply because it was HD, it was unreal. They were in Rio de Janeiro. THe aeiral shots were truly stunning and eye popping. I notice we have two channels 3 and 3SA 10 and 10SA etc, and surprsiingly to me its the ones that are NOT SA that are HD. Learn something every day. :lol:
 

· Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
26,472 Posts
Meklos said:
Correction. MP3 (as used in the digital music context) is not MPEG3. It is actually MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3.
I stand corrected. That was just too long ago.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top