DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Go Pack!
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have had a very disturbing issue with my HR22. When watching a recorded program it will, at a totally random point during the show, just stop and return you back to live programming like you hit the exit button on your remote. It's very irritating and has me very worried that it could signal the box is on it's way out the door. Problem is I have a lot of shows I haven't finished watching yet.

I have a HR24 as well so I am going to start having that box do all my primary recording as a preventative measure in case it does crap out.

Any ideas why it is doing that?

And yes, I have done a reset :)

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
That's an odd one. Are you using an RF remote by chance? I can't help wondering if, whether RF or IR, your HR22 is picking up stray signals.

· Go Pack!
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither, using a RTI system that sends the signal to the box via RS232. That is all changing in a couple weeks when we move to the new IP based RTI processors.

The room is a self contained theater room so no other stray signals could be picked up. The box is not visible either.

I agree, it is a strange one :)

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
I understand if it's not possible, but could you disconnect that RTI system and see if the problem goes away... just as a diagnostic step?

· Go Pack!
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't do that as the RTI processor controls everything. Besides, it doesn't happen enough to warrant that sort of troubleshooting to wait for a random event to not happen :)

There are no buttons pressed or signals sent when the issue has happened. Just curious if anybody has noticed this as well. The box is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW anyway so I have a feeling it is trying ti kill itself. Taking up to 10 seconds for a command to register is silly.

· Godfather
591 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
That's an odd one. Are you using an RF remote by chance? I can't help wondering if, whether RF or IR, your HR22 is picking up stray signals.
How is this odd, this is the third person who posted about this. I believe it is some weird glitch that just goes away. I flushed all my receivers and no new incident on one of 3 HR24's. There is a problem for sure that is causing this, but not many have the issue yet...yet.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
There's a known bug in the RS232/IP control (SHEF) interface with the new HD GUI release, that causes the DVR to change channels - possibly this is what you are seeing. It's supposedly fixed in the next national release.

· Godfather
591 Posts
Just a double reboot...it clears guide data etc and will reload in 24hrs or so. If you do it early in the day your season passes should record just fine that night, providing they do not disappear so check them after your reboot.

4 Posts
I'm of the opinion that a double reboot with not fix your problem.

I'm one of the many lucky people with the 232/shef bug, and I've also spoken to people that have the bug and are ir controlled only. Channels changing on their own, while watching another channel or something prerecorded. D* REFUSES to admit there is any kind of issue, and as far as I have seen they have no plan to fix it.

I just got a call this morning from on of my clients (we're D* dealers), and he wants his eight DVRs ripped out this morning. They're going back to cable over these firmware bugs.

Thanks D* for getting on this and fixing it so quickly. Been over a month since we got the new firmware, and you still haven't come out with a statement.

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
jgermany said:
I'm of the opinion that a double reboot with not fix your problem.

I'm one of the many lucky people with the 232/shef bug, and I've also spoken to people that have the bug and are ir controlled only. Channels changing on their own, while watching another channel or something prerecorded. D* REFUSES to admit there is any kind of issue, and as far as I have seen they have no plan to fix it.

I just got a call this morning from on of my clients (we're D* dealers), and he wants his eight DVRs ripped out this morning. They're going back to cable over these firmware bugs.

Thanks D* for getting on this and fixing it so quickly. Been over a month since we got the new firmware, and you still haven't come out with a statement.
Actually, after it was established the OP was using the RS232/SHEF control method, the conversation was just about how to do a double reboot to flush the guide cache. I dont believe anyone else thinks it will fix it now either. Thanks for ranting.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.