DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

· Icon
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering when if ever, will the local channels leave the 72 degree bird? I would wonder if that is coming soon or not?

and are the actual satellites that were launched this PAST year actually in service at this time?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
No it is not... At least not for at least another year...
As before they could move anything from the 72... they have to get rid of the HD-MPEG-2 on the other SATs.

I have not seen any discussion anywhere about removing the content from the 72 SAT...

· Registered
1,155 Posts
No the new Satellite is for Mpeg4 HD channels, not locals. Maybe in the next couple of years they will migrate the locals from 72 to 119 after they move all the HD to Mpeg4 on the new birds, but that is just a guess.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Ken984 said:
No the new Satellite is for Mpeg4 HD channels, not locals. Maybe in the next couple of years they will migrate the locals from 72 to 119 after they move all the HD to Mpeg4 on the new birds, but that is just a guess.
it can't go to the 119. Only place is the 101. Think lowerst common denominator.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
DirecTV can refile for an extension to the 72.5 slot. It is what they will probably do. There isn't any space to move 16 CONUS transponders at 72.5 anywhere. Not to 101, not to 119, and definitely not to 110.

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
DirecTV can refile for an extension to the 72.5 slot. It is what they will probably do. There isn't any space to move 16 CONUS transponders at 72.5 anywhere. Not to 101, not to 119, and definitely not to 110.
There will be once they shut down MPEG2 HD next year.

· Chancellor
8,483 Posts
bjlc said:
I am wondering when if ever, will the local channels leave the 72 degree bird? I would wonder if that is coming soon or not?
As other people have stated here, it's kind of hard for DirecTV to do right now... though there have been discussions on other boards in the past couple of years regarding the possible ways DirecTV could do this... but they are all reliant on at least some of the HD channels moving...

To further complicate things are the possibility that DirecTV may be filling out the rest of the 210 DMAs with SD-LIL... and how they can do that.

DirecTV (and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here) has three HD channels at 101... all three of which are HD-DNS which will most likely be part of the first MPEG2 HD channels to go away leaving DirecTV with a free transponder at 101... however, DirecTV will most likely have to use some of this bandwith for Sunday Ticket in HD should the HD-DNS channels be transferred over this year, but around the first of the year, this 1 transponder will be free as well as 2 over at 119.

Personally, if I were DirecTV, once I got some free transponders over at 119, I'd transfer some of the MPEG2 HD on 110 over to 119, and some of the foreign language channels on 119, over to 110 freeing up a transponder or two there as well... but again, that's just me.

Once DirecTV moves all of their MPEG2 HD off of the current satellites, that should free up some more bandwith... and from what I've read (been told), DirecTV 9s at 101 can do tighter spot-beams than the current spot-beam bird at 101, DirecTV 4s. There are other possibilities too:

Since DirecTV and Dish Network are getting along better, DirecTV could (if the FCC were to allow it, and it suited Dish Network better) possibly trade some licenses at 110 for additional licenses at 119... but this could be a long-shot.

The KA satellites are for HD, but DirecTV has been serving Hawaii and Alaska with their SD-LIL in MPEG4 from the SpaceWays for a while now... and with the smaller DMAs having less networks than the bigger DMAs, DirecTV could theoretically offer these smaller DMAs HD-LIL and SD-LIL from the same spot-beam... although that would require an exemption from the HD access fee for these people unless DirecTV were to come out with an MPEG-4 SD receiver and DVR, but this would probably be cheaper in the long haul as they can go ahead and install the new slim-line dish for these people (thereby making it easier for these people to upgrade in the future), and converting DirecTV's rural base over to MPEG4 receivers would help them make the MPEG2-MPEG4 SD transition a lot sooner than they would normally... but whether or not DirecTV is up to this remains to be seen... but is probably smarter in the long run...

I LOVE my TiVos, and I know other people do as well, but if I were DirecTV, I'd be getting to work on some SD receivers capable of MPEG4 and have ALL new SD-LIL markets be MPEG4.

Again, whether or not any of this will happen, I don't know... I'm just throwing out some HYPOTHETICALS (mixed with some facts).

~Alan

· Hall Of Fame
3,181 Posts
The best case scenario is for all D* programming come from 99, 101 and 103. That would eliminate 16 degrees of clear view of the southern sky. 119 has been a real pain for me because of limited view. Technically, D* probably can not do this due to frequency constraints. When all HD nationals are moved to Ka, I will not have to worry about 110 or 119. My SD locals are at 101 and HD locals at 99. It would be better if D* consolidate the 72.5 and 119 locals closer to the 99-103 constellation of sats which would eliminate the need for the extra dish.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Bimson:
Originally Posted by bonscott87:
There will be once they shut down MPEG2 HD next year.
Not true...

DirecTV is not using 16 transponders for MPEG2 HD right now. DirecTV could barely be using 8 transponders, and some of them probably have other channels on them.

Even by shutting down the MPEG2 HD feeds, there will not be enough bandwidth for 16 CONUS transponders of locals on the satellites at 101, 110 and 119. It just isn't possible.

And DirecTV did state earlier this year they intended to serve more markets in SD later this year. If anything, DirecTV may be able to reclaim the space by using spot-beams at 101, but that still will not give enough space to move the locals from 72.5.

· Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
I just went into my HD TiVo to find the HD channels and their transponder mapping:

110 xp 28 - TNT, CBSW
110 xp 30 - HBO, SHO, HDNet Movies
110 xp 32 - ESPN, Universal

119 xp 22 - ABCE, FOXW
119 xp 24 - ABCW, FOXE
119 xp 28 - ESPN2, CBSE, HDNet
119 xp 32 - DISC, NBCW

101 xp 29 - NBCE
101 xp 7 - PPVHD

Keep in mind that there are other channels that share some of these transponders.

Therefore, there isn't 9 full transponders from DirecTV's core slots broadcasting in MPEG2, but there are 16 full transponders broadcasting locals from the 72.5 slot.

There will NOT be a movement of those channels, unless it is to a spot-beam satellite, and there is hardly anymore space on those, either.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
Greg Bimson said:
There isn't any space to move 16 CONUS transponders at 72.5 anywhere.
Is there something about the 72.5W LIL that precludes them from being on spotbeams?

Isn't there some sort of deadline for full SD LIL coverage in the next year or so?

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Uhhh, 119 is a spot beam sat and has several of them. Once HD is off 119 they reconfigure a few CONUS beams to spots and put more locals on them. DirecTV has talked about this, it's one of the many reasons to move HD to 99 and 103, to free up bandwidth for locals and such. There is no way they will or want to keep 72 going, they are only using it because as part of the News Corp deal they promised congress they would provide X number of locals and the only way to do it was to lease space on 72 as there was no more space at the core. Once there is space at the core locals at 72 will move, you can bank on it. No way DirecTV wants to have this 2 dish solution.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.