DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
I had, what seems like, a variation on that, but not with a model 100. And the problem I encountered, I think, has been fixed - but maybe it's just now manefesting itself in different ways. Here's the deal. When we went on vacation, a major storm blew threw my neighborhood. It knocked out the power for a brief time. When you lose power on the R15, when the power comes back, it's like a reset, and after a minute it comes back. But what happens if you lose power AND your signal? Well, if the power comes back BEFORE the signal does, the R15 had issues. It would power back up, attempt to find a satellite signal... and freeze. It wouldn't find one, so it would sit there, not fully restarted. It wasn't smart enough to try again to look for a signal in a couple minutes. Or I figured it was smart enough that, as soon as the signal became available it would start up. No dice - it would just hang... and ours' was hung for several days while we were gone on vacation.

As a result, none of the shows we had on our todo list were recorded, and we had to do another reset to "defrost" our DVR. After that it was fine. Like I said, this sounds different from what you're experiencing. But then again - you have a different model - mine is a 500, and this problem happened a few s/w releases ago. I know they fixed one annoyance that has to do with the unit searching for a signal. Once, when we lost our signal due to a nasty storm, we figured "no problem, we have lots of stuff already recorded, we'll just watch one of those shows." Well, we kept getting an annoying pop-up telling us that the unit was searching for a signal. Apparently that bug has been fixed. So, my guess (and that's all this is) is that you hit the same situation we did - lost power and signal, and the power came back before the signal came back. But because of the later s/w version (the bug fix that happened with the lost satellite signal pop-up), maybe it's manefesting itself differently.

Again, this is only a guess, but your problem sounded similar enough to mine that I figured I'd throw it out there. Oh, and one other thing - we didn't lose any recordings when this happened. Anything that was already recorded when the unit froze were still there when we came back from vacation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.