DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new Slimline dish from Newegg. After reading the recommendations on this board, I'd like to get 2 monopoles as well. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding an online source for these. Any recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
and you're technically supposed to use one of each size at that.
? I have almost never seen both sizes used on one install?

Installers try to make a tripod out of them (so both monopoles are equal length) if it is a roof mount or side mount.

·
Godfather
452 Posts
Grentz said:
? I have almost never seen both sizes used on one install?

Installers try to make a tripod out of them (so both monopoles are equal length) if it is a roof mount or side mount.
Weird. We're required to put a shorty directly behind/underneath the pipe to support the weight, and a long one out to the side for wind/etc. Perfect support that way. A box of feet for the dishes comes with one of each size for each foot for a reason.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,780 Posts
I'm not a structural engineer but I believe a pyramid of 3 equal sides is the most efficient at load sharing, therefore 2 braces of similar length to the mast would be the best.

Doctor j

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
doctor j said:
I'm not a structural engineer but I believe a pyramid of 3 equal sides is the most efficient at load sharing, therefore 2 braces of similar length to the mast would be the best.

Doctor j
Triangles are strongest thing in nature

·
Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Johnnie5000 said:
Weird. We're required to put a shorty directly behind/underneath the pipe to support the weight, and a long one out to the side for wind/etc. Perfect support that way. A box of feet for the dishes comes with one of each size for each foot for a reason.
That's what we do here too. Well at least the guys that aren't too lazy to put them up at all.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
www.valueelectronics.com - give them a call ...

I was helping a friend of mine who wanted HD right freakin' now to watch the Olympics.
Rather than wait for DirecTV, he bought an HD receiver at Costco, and then we picked up the dish at Value Electronics. (Scarsdale isn't far from me ...)

Excellent guys, very good service. No complaints there.

Got that 5-LNB dish up and going, and he was watching the opening ceremonies that night. :)

·
Godfather
452 Posts
doctor j said:

Doctor j
Not trying to start a pissing contest but my way makes a triangle too.

I do actually do it that way occasionally, with a third short brace supporting the weight if I mount the dish somewhere that is hard to access (3rd story roof, anything requiring a 40ft ladder). Your way is good if done properly. These dishes do require weight support though. And doing the job properly your way requires a fair amount of skill to actually support the weight. Proper placement is key on this.

Mertzen said:
That's what we do here too. Well at least the guys that aren't too lazy to put them up at all.
So that problem isn't just here huh?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Arches work very well and are very strong, but triangles are even stronger I believe for a peak.

The advantage with arches is over longer distances (like bridges). They are very good at distributing weight.

Honestly directly under and making a triangle to the sides under (on a slanted roof) both should be just fine. I had my slimline with no monopoles for a few months and it is on the peak of my roof 3 stories in the air, went through a few winter storms with no issues. Now I have 2 monopoles on it making a triangle and it is VERY strong.

I still wish they made the pipe for the slimline a bit shorter...it is overkill for most roof mounts (my old round dish sat just a bit off the roof, the slimline sits about 2-3x further off the roof).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.