DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
At home I have four receivers and I have a really big dish, so I didn't know if I needed one that big for just one receiver. I'll check and see what model I have at home.
Thanks
Scott

· Mr. FixAnything
27,971 Posts
Mrsamman said:
Thanks for the replies.
At home I have four receivers and I have a really big dish, so I didn't know if I needed one that big for just one receiver. I'll check and see what model I have at home.
Thanks
Scott
Picture of it and what your receivers had in setup about the dish and switch would help to understand what you have.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
Mrsamman said:
Thanks for the replies.
Thanks
Scott
The size of the dish is not related to the number of receivers, but rather to the number of satellites it is capable of seeing. For HD you need the Slimline dish, which is what you would have at home. If you can live with SD channels only, then you could use a 19" round dish at your cabin.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,455 Posts
jdspencer said:
I wonder if he has the old AT9 sidecar dish?
The AT9 is only ~3% larger than the Slimline. The AT9 is 3" taller but 3" narrower.

Either way, there are only a couple of dishes used for CONUS DBS that are bigger.

The only way to get a smaller dish is to modify a smaller dish and install it yourself.

· Super Moderator
12,437 Posts
If you plan to move this receiver back and forth between the two locations, you want to be the same at both places. It is sometimes difficult to get a receiver to switch from SWM to "multiswitch" mode.

Also, just to be on the safe side here, I should point out that your terms of service do not permit having receivers/service simultaneously at two locations under a single account. The general feeling is if nobody is using DirecTV at home while you are using it at the cabin, you are at least meeting the spirit of the rule. You would be in violation of your terms of service if it was being used at both locations at the same time.

4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This receiver will be used on the weekends when we are not at home. So I need a slimline without SWM. That means I have to run multiple line of RG6 to a switch and then to the receiver.
Thanks
Scott

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,455 Posts
Mrsamman said:
That means I have to run multiple line of RG6 to a switch and then to the receiver.
A switch is not needed. You can drive up to four tuners from a non-SWIM dish with a cable for each tuner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.