DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so since my HR20 can't connect to OTA locally, what DVR does for HD? A friend of ours has DirecTV and HD and gets his locals on his DVR. I thought he had a TIVO unit but I'm not sure. I have the new 5 LNB dish.

What DVR will work for me with a local OTA?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
browe said:
Ok so since my HR20 can't connect to OTA locally, what DVR does for HD? A friend of ours has DirecTV and HD and gets his locals on his DVR. I thought he had a TIVO unit but I'm not sure. I have the new 5 LNB dish.

What DVR will work for me with a local OTA?
If we're fortunate, in about a week, the HR20. I'd wait before trying to find a discontinued model on ebay...and I'm not sure there are any HD DVR's other than the HR20....because any of the other ones you get will not support MPEG-4...and that is where D* is headed, so don't "dead end" yourself. MPEG-4/HD-Locals require the HR20...and if OTA is enabled "real soon now", you will be set. So, I'd wait a week and see what we say here about OTA (present/good/bad...whatever).

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
The only other HD DVR that was available for DTV is the Tivo based HR10-250. That can receive HD OTA but does not receive any MPEG4 HD signals (HD Locals now, and HD National Channels sometime next year).

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Today, the only Directv HD DVR with HD OTA is the DirectTivo, HR10-250.
Tomorrow, or the next day you will be able to get the HR20 and the OTA may be enabled. Rumor has it that OTA will be very soon on the HR20.

Forward looking is the HR20. Working today is the HR10.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Icon
Dish Hopper 3, Dish Hopper Plus (sort of), Denon AVR-6500H HT receiver, Klipsch speaker system
730 Posts
Don't forget the Dish VIP622. That one also does OTA and dual buffers with PIP. If DTV does not turn on OTA by Jan 1, I'll be switching.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tibber said:
Today, the only Directv HD DVR with HD OTA is the DirectTivo, HR10-250.
Tomorrow, or the next day you will be able to get the HR20 and the OTA may be enabled. Rumor has it that OTA will be very soon on the HR20.

Forward looking is the HR20. Working today is the HR10.

Cheers,
Tom
Rumor has it? Hasn't that been the running joke for weeks/months? I'm going to be sleeping in a tent here soon if my wife can't get her locals in HD via a DVR!!!

:nono2:

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
browe said:
Rumor has it? Hasn't that been the running joke for weeks/months? I'm going to be sleeping in a tent here soon if my wife can't get her locals in HD via a DVR!!!

Yeah, it definitely is a running gag. :grin:

I'd like to say tomorrow for sure, but I don't know anything other than what Earl says/hints/sneaks to us.

You're welcome to pitch a tent in our backyard and go skiing if that helps. ;)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
browe said:

If you have been following the OTA threads, you would notice that the "hints" and vague implications are now hitting about 7.2 on the Richter scale, so I would raise the status above "running joke". I'll have to think of an appropriate scale that includes running joke as a category, but right now I'm trying to keep tabs on the Cowboys/Giants game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.