DBSTalk Forum banner

Which DVR For Me?

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Richierich 
#1 ·
I currently have three HD DVRs.
*HR23-700 (Main Room)
*HR22-100
*Hr21-100

My Main DVR is on its last legs so I would like to upgrade. I've tried to read though the other threads but it is a little too technical for me to completely follow. I should also mention that only my Main DVR is connected to the internet via an Apple Airport Express.

What would you guys recommend as a replacement for my Main DVR? The HR34? What would I need to get installed?

Sorry for the amateur questions.

#2 ·
The only true "upgrade" is the HR34 Home Media Center DVR. The other HD DVRs are all functionally equivalent to your HR23. But you'll want to contact DirecTV to order and install your HR34 because you'll likely need a dish upgrade to handle all 10 tuners (5 for the HR34 and 2 each for the HD DVRs). Most likely your current dish maxes out at 8 tuners.

#4 ·
Internet connection is not technically needed for the DVRs to see each other. The traffic between them is separated. However techs are supposed to have a certain percentage of installs call back and DirecTV really pushes to have them connected. Only one entry point to the Internet is needed for that, and it can be wireless.

#6 ·
Internet connection and whole-home are two different things. You can have one (either) without the other, or both. I think you would enjoy whole-home if you had it.

A single point internet connection would provide connectivity to all of your DVRs (over the coax connection they use for satellite).

#9 ·
DolphinGirl said:
Sorry guys, this is where I start getting confused. The newest receiver (HR34) has 5-6 tuners? Correct? So this DVR's programs can be shared to all my other DVRs, No?

What would Whole Home add to the above?
If you have one TV in your home, nothing. Multiple TVs will be able to "see" the 34 thru your other HRs. But there are many drawbacks to the 34. Don't take that "functional equivalency" nonsense to heart, if you get a 24-xxx, it will be an upgrade to the HRs you have now. In fact, what you have now are among the worst HRs D* has ever introduced. A good old 20-700, if you can find one that works, would be an upgrade to what you have and any 24 will be a real eye-opener when compared to what you have now.

Rich

#11 ·
DolphinGirl said:
So if I get Whole Home I could record on each DVR and watch on any other?
Yes, that's how it works. I've had it in both Ethernet and DECA and I prefer the DECA system that D* installs. Once you have it, you'll like it. I can't imagine not having it.

So it really makes the 5 tuners in the HR34 unnecessary?
I really depends on the viewing habits of each of us. I'd rather have my setup, which consists of eight Panny plasmas and twelve HRs on my MRV, than put a 34 in the mix. The thing I don't like is having all those tuners on one HR and if the HR fails you'll lose all the recordings. With five tuners, you're gonna fill that 1TB drive it comes with pretty quickly and if you put an external 2TB HDD on it, it will still fill up a lot faster than a 24 with a 2TB drive. Simple mathematics.

Rich

#12 ·
First off, I want to thank all you guys for the help. I've now decided that I want to get HR24s with Whole Home setup. Here's my next round of stupid girly questions.

What HR24 should I get?

Will DirecTV confirm that model when I call and order if I am also eating up a Whole Home DVR setup?

#13 ·
All of the HR24 models are equivalent. But you don't get to choose when you order through DirecTV. You'll get whatever is on the installer's truck, or next on their shelf. If you absolute must have an HR24 you'll need to order from a dealer, like Solid Signal.

#14 ·
I was a long-time supporter of the HR20. I have 3, and an even-older HR10-250 still hanging in for OTA HD.

But while they are faster and more reliable than what is reported for the '21, '22, and '23, the power supplies are now getting very old, so I would recommend the HR24 if I were asked; it's just that the only way to guarantee that is to buy it yourself. If a DVR fails for me, its typically a $19.95 replacement, but what I get would be pot luck. Maybe a layout of $200 up front would be better in a lot of ways (speed, long-term reliability for starters).

Also, the new GUI really torpedoed the HR20's speed-wise. I have to admit that on Easter Sunday I was a bit jealous of my sister's HR24's, which seem very snappy by comparison.

#20 ·
CCarncross said:
Because their ordering system is not programmed that way...You can request HD DVR's, HD receivers, the HMC(HR34), or an SD DVR or SD receiver...its not setup as HR20, etc.....
As far as I know the only models that can be specified are the TiVo and the HR34.

#21 ·
DolphinGirl said:
So if I get Whole Home I could record on each DVR and watch on any other? So it really makes the 5 tuners in the HR34 unnecessary?
No, it allows you to record five programs at once with only one DVR.
If you want to pay the monthly rate for multiple DVR's go for it.
I have the 34 and 24 which allows recording of seven programs at once
plus a backup if one DVR goes down.
I could just as easily stick with the 34 only and save the monthly fee for the 24.

#22 ·
ghostdog said:
No, it allows you to record five programs at once with only one DVR.
If you want to pay the monthly rate for multiple DVR's go for it.
I have the 34 and 24 which allows recording of seven programs at once
plus a backup if one DVR goes down.
I could just as easily stick with the 34 only and save the monthly fee for the 24.
I have the similar setup, HR34 and an HR22. I agree that the HR34 is the way to go for less issues with recording conflicts. Nothing I hate more then wanting to watch a live sporting event on an HR22 and both my tuners are recording. With the HR34, you can have 4 programs recording and still have a tuner available to watch something live.

My HR22 is a good backup for recording a second copy of most of the programs. And for our master bedroom, the HR22 is our way of pausing live TV or skipping back to re-watch something we missed.

#24 ·
RACJ2 said:
I have the similar setup, HR34 and an HR22. I agree that the HR34 is the way to go for less issues with recording conflicts. Nothing I hate more then wanting to watch a live sporting event on an HR22 and both my tuners are recording. With the HR34, you can have 4 programs recording and still have a tuner available to watch something live.

My HR22 is a good backup for recording a second copy of most of the programs. And for our master bedroom, the HR22 is our way of pausing live TV or skipping back to re-watch something we missed.
To bring up "clarity" again, which 22 do you have? I think I know, but I gotta admit I'm not positive.

Rich

#25 ·
litzdog911 said:
All of the HR24 models are equivalent. But you don't get to choose when you order through DirecTV. You'll get whatever is on the installer's truck, or next on their shelf. If you absolute must have an HR24 you'll need to order from a dealer, like Solid Signal.
I disagree. I believe the Chipset in the HR24-500 (which is different than the Chipset in the other HR24 Models) is Superior and if you can buy an Owned HR24-500 on Ebay or wherever (get the RID # and call Directv's Access Card Dept. to Verify that it is indeed Owned) you can Replace the Internal Hard Drive with a 2 TB Hard Drive and you will be Good To Go!!! :D

And the CPU in the HR24-500 is Faster than the other HR2X Models and has More RAM!!!

That is why I Own 5 HR24-500s.

Also, with MRV (Whole Home DVR Service) you can watch anything on your other DVRs/Receivers so if you want to quit watching something downstairs in your Home Entertainment Room you can Pause it and then Resume it Upstairs in the Bedroom.

Very Cool and worth every penny. I couldn't understand what it would be like to not have it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.