DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched before posting and read a few threads but, obviously, still have questions. I will be moving in a week and want to disconnect my landline phone service. I have 1 Series 2 Samsung S4120R D*Tivo & 1 HR20-700. My internet is cable broadband and I have 1 desktop computer with just 1 ethernet plug which the cable modem uses. The broadband connection is very fast but I don't know/can't remember what the actual speed is.

From reading this thread it seems that the SlingLink Turbo PowerLine A/V Ethernet Adapter Kit may do the job but since this in new territory for me I thought it would be best to post here for some guidance. Btw, the computer will be in a spare bedroom and the TiVo/HR20 in a media room.

Also, will I first need a router before I can use an ethernet adaptor? Thanks!

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also ask: Do I even need an ethernet adaptor at all? I don't have one now so what will I miss if the HR20 doesn't have a phone line plugged into it? My D*Tivo won't need a phone line (except for ordering PPV with the remote but I never order movies anyway, not even on the HR20).

· Registered
5,915 Posts
You would not be able to network the Tivo. The HR20 could be networked and by doing so you would be able to order PPV with the remote, use Directv on Demand (so you can download shows and such if you want), and use media share (play music/pictures/video from your PC).

For most it is not really necessary though. Directv does not require it and updates are done through the satellite so you wont miss anything there.

· Mentor
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grentz said:
You would not be able to network the Tivo. The HR20 could be networked and by doing so you would be able to order PPV with the remote, use Directv on Demand (so you can download shows and such if you want), and use media share (play music/pictures/video from your PC).
I knew about the Tivo issue and that is not a problem for me. I am interested in being able to play .wmv videos, pics etc. from my PC. So would I first need a router and then wireless ethernet (my PC just has the 1 ethernet jack and the cable modem is currently using it)?

Thank you for the advice.

· Legend
201 Posts
You only need wireless Ethernet if you don't want to run cable everywhere.

Otherwise, if you buy a router, your modem plugs into >it<, then you run Ethernet cables from the router to your PC, from the router to your HR20, etc...

I don't have a DirecTivo - I've got two Series 2 stand-alone units. Both have USB <-> Ethernet adapters and are connected to my router so they can "call home" for program information and so I can use Tivo Desktop to get recordings off of them and onto my PC. As I understand it, the DirecTivo gets the program info right off the dish, so you wouldn't need it for that.

- Chip

· Godfather
357 Posts
Elling said:
I searched before posting and read a few threads but, obviously, still have questions. I will be moving in a week and want to disconnect my landline phone service. I have 1 Series 2 Samsung S4120R D*Tivo & 1 HR20-700. My internet is cable broadband and I have 1 desktop computer with just 1 ethernet plug which the cable modem uses. The broadband connection is very fast but I don't know/can't remember what the actual speed is.

From reading this thread it seems that the SlingLink Turbo PowerLine A/V Ethernet Adapter Kit may do the job but since this in new territory for me I thought it would be best to post here for some guidance. Btw, the computer will be in a spare bedroom and the TiVo/HR20 in a media room.

Also, will I first need a router before I can use an ethernet adaptor? Thanks!
Posted this in another forum, but you should see it. You will need to start with a wirless router.

After setting up wireless network, (using netgear router between my pc and cable modem -- which took about 10 mins and went perfectly) I decided to network my HR 20-100.

Read here about D's powerline adapters. Took the plunge. WOW! Could not be easier! 5-min install (someone here said opening the boxes took the longest time -- Exactly!) Connected instantly. Downloads DOD pretty quickly (off Comcast cable modem), and media share via WMP 11 took another 5 mins.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.