DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been stuck in Comcast/Tivo Premiere hell for the past couple years and am seriously considering coming back to DirecTV. Before my exodus, the HR24 just came out at the time (I believe) and was the best DVR available.

My question is... what DVR should I ask DirecTV for when I hookup my service? Which is the latest and greatest?? (I only have one tv; no need for HMC)

THANK YOU!! :D

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
You have three choices, ask Directv for an HMC, take whatever DVR they bring for the install, or pay an up front lease fee and get an HR24 guaranteed from a third party dealer.

Personally, 5 tuners is really nice, since it costs the same as 2 on a monthly basis. PIP is nice for sports. Dont dismiss the HMC just because you only have one TV.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
I agree with that. Since swapping out for the HR34, my MRV usage has plummeted. For a while, I was using it as same room viewing, both DVRs in the same room.

100 series links, 1tb drive, 5 tuners, PIP, guaranteed model, it's all good.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dpeters! That's what I needed to know.

One more thing... from what I'm gathering, the HR34 is bleeding-edge technology, but it seems there are quite a few problems being reported from early adopters, and there is no HDUI yet. Would you say the HR24 is more stable, but the HR34's ceiling is high enough to warrant grabbing it now? Again, I only have one TV.

Thank you!

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Keep in mind even Winston Churchill and Thomas Jefferson had lisps.

Directv keeps development up on their boxes, so I'm not too concerned about the issues (I do have a 34). Case management mentioned to someone that they were hoping to get the HD GUI out by the end of February.

11,606 Posts
Personally, I'd never get anything other then an HR34, bugs and all. Just needs some time. 5 tuners, 1TB, PiP, Perfect.

And since it's a new DVR class, you're always guaranteed an HR34 or better via replacement.

· This Space for Sale
7,436 Posts
techleet said:
Thanks dpeters! That's what I needed to know.

One more thing... from what I'm gathering, the HR34 is bleeding-edge technology, but it seems there are quite a few problems being reported from early adopters, and there is no HDUI yet. Would you say the HR24 is more stable, but the HR34's ceiling is high enough to warrant grabbing it now? Again, I only have one TV.

Thank you!
You might want to reread davenlr's first post (#2 in this thread). Unless you buy an HR24 from a third party retailer, this is no guarantee you'll get one from DirecTV. You'll get whatever the installer has on his truck if you order "just" an HD DVR through DirecTV. But if you get the HR34, you'll get that along with the 5 tuners it has.

· Godfather
433 Posts
Get the 34 and you will be lucky enough to have the better UI for a while anyway. I have had a few glitches on the 34. No more and maybe even less than on the 24. Really do not like the HD UI on the 24. And it has more problems than the SD UI on the 34. Setting irrational formatting when you try to use double play being the worst offender. HD is harder to see and harder to use all around.

· Registered
8,820 Posts
Jerry_K said:
Get the 34 and you will be lucky enough to have the better UI for a while anyway. I have had a few glitches on the 34. No more and maybe even less than on the 24. Really do not like the HD UI on the 24. And it has more problems than the SD UI on the 34. Setting irrational formatting when you try to use double play being the worst offender. HD is harder to see and harder to use all around.
You are not suggesting someone get a receiver because thay will get an older user interface that will no longer be available in the coming months, are you? You may not like the HDUI but most of those in your poll did, in fact 78% did.

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
My advice would be, if you can stand to wait, is to wait until the HR34 gets the updated UI. The reports of sluggish/slow-downs when using all 5 tuners has me worried. I am interested in the HR34 but still have 2 HR22s that were going to be 'fixed' with the next software release for nearly 3 years now. They still are painful to use even after all the updates and promises of fixes 'coming soon'.

If you can't wait to see how it goes when the new UI comes out for the HR34 I'd just expect it to perform as it does now and then be pleasantly surprised if/when they do 'speed' it up in the future.

· Godfather
433 Posts
No I am not suggesting it only for the useful gui. The OP wants an HD DVR and should get the 34 because then he has a lot more of everything than getting one of the old boxes.

Fiver tuners. a bit better modicum of Series Passes, double the storage, and a chance to use a better gui for a bit. The newer gui may even have a few more fixes before he has to put up with it.

I have not had any slowdown problems with the 34 when all five tuners are recording. I do have a replacement drive in the 34. That might be a help I don't know because I never ran it with the OEM drive.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all. After seeing the consensus here and researching on my own, I'm definitely going with the HR34.

Now about NetFlix streaming... I suppose I have to find a separate box for that, eh? My Tivo Premiere, for all it's frustrations, has integrated NetFlix/Hulu Plus/etc. I'm thinking of grabbing a ROKU box. Any suggestions??

Thanks again!

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
techleet said:
Ahh that makes sense. Ok, so the rep was an idiot. I should have known from the lisp and frequent pauses ;)
I would call back and Verify that what is on the Order is What you Want as sometimes they key the Order in Wrong.

Better to be Safe than Sorry!!! Ask if you will receive an HR24 or an HR34 (HMC).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.