• Al Jazeera - English

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • France 24 - English/French

Votes: 10 20.8%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mentor
46 Posts
I'd settle for anything with in depth, balanced US and international news, competent professional anchors, an absence of stupid sound effects and flashy graphics for the hell of it, and no promoting of idiotic shows or brain dead celebs.

For morning news, that leaves out MSNBC, Fox, and all flavors of CNN. BBC World is the closest, but still doesn't make the grade. All in all, cable news, except perhaps the financial channels, is generally a disgusting mix of crap spewed by self absorbed clueless anchors and directed by children with an addiction to annoying graphics and irritating sound effects. :(

I've given up and get my news on the web.

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
TreeFarm said:
I'd settle for anything with in depth, balanced US and international news, competent professional anchors, an absence of stupid sound effects and flashy graphics for the hell of it, and no promoting of idiotic shows or brain dead celebs.

For morning news, that leaves out MSNBC, Fox, and all flavors of CNN. BBC World is the closest, but still doesn't make the grade. All in all, cable news, except perhaps the financial channels, is generally a disgusting mix of crap spewed by self absorbed clueless anchors and directed by children with an addiction to annoying graphics and irritating sound effects. :(

I've given up and get my news on the web.
Agree. None of the above. You forgot, "presented by anchors who have no idea of what proper English is". I know that all they do is read the crap someone plops in front of them, but they still have control. I can't bear to watch Shep Smith on Fox at all. The combination of whatever language that is he is trying to speak and the graphics and sound effects I find totally disgusting.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,027 Posts
I'm very disappointed with BBC World. It's in the clear in DVB format, so you can get it free with a big dish. I find that they repeat the same news stories over and over, more like CNN's Headline News. There are some half hour and hour long indepth programs, but not as many as I expected. Also, they constantly show these promos for upcoming shows, but a couple of them have a note at the bottom of the screen "Not in North America".....

Anyway, it's a great source for international news and is a great addition to a lineup because they aren't duplicating other news properties in the US very much. However, I had very high expectations and was quite crestfallen to discover this channel's limitations....

bigworld said:
I'm dyin' for BBC World.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
Richard King said:
Agree. None of the above. You forgot, "presented by anchors who have no idea of what proper English is". I know that all they do is read the crap someone plops in front of them, but they still have control. I can't bear to watch Shep Smith on Fox at all. The combination of whatever language that is he is trying to speak and the graphics and sound effects I find totally disgusting.
Yeah Shep Smith is the worst. Most of Fox is hard to watch anyway, but he's awful. CNN International is pretty good most of the time Since they have a propensity to show whatever is happening in the world at that time, at least 8 hours is not focused on the U.S.

I'm all for news, but not talk TV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.