DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and why?

So I'm thinking about ditching premier and paying the 5 dollar DVR fee and going down to the 72.99 PLUS dvr package

Plus 12 bucks for a single premium (14 for hbo i think?) means 84.99 vs the 104.99.

Im' not a movie buff but when i record one i want it to be more than reruns of dirty dancing. I have general perceptions of each of the pay channels but prefer to ask you what you know about who gets the movies first, which channels they movies may get cycled to 'eventually' or what movies may 'never' get show in what network..stuff like that.

I doubt you will be able to ignore original programming in your discussions but at this point I have very few desires (big love, dexter are the only ones that even come to mind) so i wont base my decision on access to a certain original series. Just who has the 'best' movies.

let the reviews begin (and for the record my 1st inkling is starz):

· Hall Of Fame
1,020 Posts
I did this same switch a couple of months ago and wanted Starz but I ended up going with showtime for now just beause I could not bear the thought of missing the new season of Weeds and then later this year the second season of Californication.

· Icon
566 Posts
I am now going through a similar thought process. If I could choose 2 it would be Starz and Showtime. If just one, Starz.

I think Starz is best for movies and Showtime best for original programming. There is currently a promotion where you can get both Starz and Showtime for the price of one for 3 months. I'd do that and then drop one or the other after the three months is over based on which one you watched the most.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
anleva said:
There is currently a promotion where you can get both Starz and Showtime for the price of one for 3 months. I'd do that and then drop one or the other after the three months is over based on which one you watched the most.
That's what I'd do too.

I don't think there is ONE premium channel. I usually only have 1 (now 2 because of the deal mentioned above) at a time, but it fluctuates. If Entourage, for example is running on HBO, I'll get HBO for a few months. When it's over, I'll switch to something else.

· Godfather
501 Posts
If watching movies in the Original Aspect Ratio is even marginally important to you, Showtime is the only premium that consistently airs them that way. But not always. I watched a movie on TMC the other might that was crudely zoomed to "fit my 16 X 9 TV screen", which now seems to be the norm, rather than taking the time to "pan and scan" as they used to do when they chopped up the image to fit on a 4 X 3 screen. If a zoomed movie makes a scene completely unwatchable, so be it. Mediocrity rules.

As for original programming, they all suck. Think "Deadwood" and "Carnivale" on HBO and "Dead Like Me" on Showtime; all canceled in mid stream without a passing thought. Paying customer be damned. The suits at HBO just plain lied to their subscribers about Deadwood. They of course, are free to do that, but not with my money.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
I currently switch them based on what's on that month. I use the premiers threads here to see what I want to catch and then use the DirecTV website to change my premium... works out well and I don't have to choose. Currently I'm on the Sho/Starz two-fer deal. :)

· RIP
6,203 Posts
I'd get HD Extra for $5 and skip the premium movie channels. Sign up again in a year and you might get some new movies and maybe an interesting HBO series. HDNet Movies is as good as any of the other movie channels and the other channels in the package have decent programming from time to time.

Plus they're running a promotion on HD Extra just in time for the Olympics where a lot of content will be broadcast on UHD.

· Hall Of Fame
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds like if i keep an eye on what goes on schedule wise, and just keep each channel 30 days, switching around is the way to go

who knows, i may even try without any premiums lol but dont know if i can go that cold turkey.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
newsposter said:
sounds like if i keep an eye on what goes on schedule wise, and just keep each channel 30 days, switching around is the way to go

who knows, i may even try without any premiums lol but dont know if i can go that cold turkey.
You don't need to wait the 30 days to avoid the fee if you're just swapping premium for premium. :)

· Icon
566 Posts
tcusta00 said:
You don't need to wait the 30 days to avoid the fee if you're just swapping premium for premium. :)
I didn't realize you could do that. Do you need to do it in a specific sequence in order to avoid getting charged a fee for cancelling a premium channel that you have had less than 30 days? For example, do you need to first add another premium channel so 2 appear on your account and then cancel one?

· Hall Of Fame
4,922 Posts
anleva said:
I am now going through a similar thought process. If I could choose 2 it would be Starz and Showtime. If just one, Starz.

I think Starz is best for movies and Showtime best for original programming. There is currently a promotion where you can get both Starz and Showtime for the price of one for 3 months. I'd do that and then drop one or the other after the three months is over based on which one you watched the most.
This is what I did, except I got them before the promotion. Starz for movies and Showtime for original programming.

· Godfather
308 Posts
i dropped them all , and went with netflix like stated above , if you can wait most shows are on in a few months anyway on dvd from them .....
like me i am going through "homocide, life on the street " from the 1st ep ..good stuff from mid to late 90's ....not a lot of movies out there i want to see anyway ..most are crap ....IMHO

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
spartanstew said:
Or do both. Even without movies, some of the series on the premium channels are worth the money.
You could. There aren't any shows on those channels worth watching for me. However you can Netflix all them as well if you're willing to wait 6-9 months or so. I just discovered Burn Notice on USA so I'm catching up on Season 1 via Netflix and I'll be caught up by next week and I can then watch season 2 as it airs. Doesn't cost me a dime more to do this. ;)

· Godfather
494 Posts
Big Brother After Dark, Weeds, Californication, i vote Showtime.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.