DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· AllStar
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watch and record Mpeg4 HD locals 99% of the time. After numerous problems already mentioned in this forum such as audio drop outs, video freeze ups, trick play problems, and completley unresponsive unit the next morning after a power "off" (blue lights and outputs only) I did a RESET ALL which it appears may actually have made matters worst. I am now considering doing a full hard drive reformat as mentioned in the "tips and hints" thread. But before I do I wanted to hear from others what your thoughts were as to the likelyhood that this might do some good or am I wasting my time. The Tivo Series3 is starting to look better and better... :)
TV - Pioneer 5060 Plasma
HDMI through Monoprice 5x1 switch
HD10-250 and SA8300 BHN cable also on switch but zero problems

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
The reset all is the same as a full reformat.

Others speculate that a full reformat does nothing other than wipe the files from your disk. The operating system does not load from the disk, it loads from non- volatile memory which does not get wiped during a reformat.

· Registered
5,952 Posts
fl_dba said:
I watch and record Mpeg4 HD locals 99% of the time. After numerous problems already mentioned in this forum such as audio drop outs, video freeze ups, trick play problems, and completley unresponsive unit the next morning after a power "off" (blue lights and outputs only) I did a RESET ALL which it appears may actually have made matters worst. I am now considering doing a full hard drive reformat as mentioned in the "tips and hints" thread. But before I do I wanted to hear from others what your thoughts were as to the likelyhood that this might do some good or am I wasting my time. The Tivo Series3 is starting to look better and better... :)
TV - Pioneer 5060 Plasma
HDMI through Monoprice 5x1 switch
HD10-250 and SA8300 BHN cable also on switch but zero problems
I'd go ahead with the full reformat from the tips (not he Reset ALL, which should be the same, but for some is not).

As far as fixing bugs goes, there is no way to know....if for some reason, you have a corrupt file on the HD, then it would fix it...keep in mind a corrupt file like this could produce a wide variety of symptoms, so it's impossible to say what it might fix. Before I would give up on a box, I would do a full format and try component video only for a while, just to see how it acts.

· AllStar
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it couldn't hurt. My HR20 is almost to the point where I just can't rely on it and have been using my SA8300 and old HR10-250 for everything. The wife is not happy and you guys know what that means!

· DBSTalk Club Member
268 Posts
for me:

Fixed - the inability to pause and resume live TV, inability to use instant replay, etc.

Not fixed - unplayable shows, audio dropouts.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,592 Posts
HDTVsportsfan said:
Some CSR's would lead you to believe it fixes everything.:p
When it is all you have to offer, you offer it early and often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.