DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Godfather
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 71" Samsung 1080p DLP that is currently getting 1080i from the HR-20 with native off.

What is your opinion about setting the HR-20 to 720p rather than 1080i. I am thinking that the extra lines may make the picture look better. Thoughts please? By the way I intend to try the experiment soon, but want some feedback.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
13,447 Posts
That is a tough one. I think that I'd actually recommend Native mode in this case, just to make sure that you're getting the best possible picture. If you really don't want to do that, figure out whether you watch 720p or 1080i channels more. Whichever you watch more, choose that one. If that still doesn't help, flip a coin!
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the downside of Native besides speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,880 Posts
Great Scott! That's one big ass tv you got there! :D

Your TV probably has upscaling capability to turn a 1080i image to a simulated 1080p image, so that should make 1080i broadcasts pop a little bit more. As for 720p programs, I'd think outputting 720p to your TV would yield a better picture. However, I am no expert and I'm sure someone else here can provide a better explanation than I.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
105 Posts
I've got an 'older' Hitachi 43UWX10B and it only offers 540p or 1080i resolutions. Right now I have it set to 1080i with Native on.

Z
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
Me, I leave the HR20 set on 1080i and let my TV deinterlace it all to 1080p.

I also suspect, based on a couple of times fiddling around with the HR20 resolution settings, that changing display resolutions may have something to do with the bug where you lose trick-play functionality. But it's barely more than a guess on my part and based on only two incidents fooling around at home while watching (not recording) live TV. I may play around with it more to see if I can duplicate it tonight.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
13,447 Posts
LameLefty said:
I also suspect, based on a couple of times fiddling around with the HR20 resolution settings, that changing display resolutions may have something to do with the bug where you lose trick-play functionality.
My HR20 has lost trick-play, and my resolution never changes.
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PoitNarf said:
Your TV probably has upscaling capability to turn a 1080i image to a simulated 1080p image, so that should make 1080i broadcasts pop a little bit more.
You would think so wouldn't you, but you would be worng. Samsung didn't think to add that feature to this unit. :confused: Anyway I am leaning toward the 720p or turning native on ans seeing if I can live with the speed (or more to the point, my family live with the delay)
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
13,447 Posts
ZDawg said:
I've got an 'older' Hitachi 43UWX10B and it only offers 540p or 1080i resolutions. Right now I have it set to 1080i with Native on.
In your case, Native is worthless and you should turn it off. Just leave the HR20 set to 1080i.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
177 Posts
I have a 56" sammy 1080P DLP

Just hooked up the HR20 on Saturday and have the same questions, I have a pretty good eye for resolution but have a tough time telling any difference between setting the HR20. One thing I do notice is that the lower the setting 480 and 720 the guide looks cleaner, anyone else see this? I set the HR20 to 480i and do not see a noticeable difference compared to 1080i.

Not sure if I am just not seeing it or my eyes are going since I am looking at a monitor all day long.
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
jgrade said:
You would think so wouldn't you, but you would be worng. Samsung didn't think to add that feature to this unit. :confused:
That doesn't make sense. DLP is a progressive-scan technology. ALL the input resolutions are internally-scaled and (if necessary) de-interlaced and shown at the native resolution of the set (either 720p or 1080p).
 

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
Joined
·
12,182 Posts
mndwalsh said:
I have a 56" sammy 1080P DLP

Just hooked up the HR20 on Saturday and have the same questions, I have a pretty good eye for resolution but have a tough time telling any difference between setting the HR20. One thing I do notice is that the lower the setting 480 and 720 the guide looks cleaner, anyone else see this? I set the HR20 to 480i and do not see a noticeable difference compared to 1080i.

Not sure if I am just not seeing it or my eyes are going since I am looking at a monitor all day long.
You're not imagining it. That's the HR20's internal anti-aliasing used for higher-resolution displays; it seems to lower the contrast of the UI elements. I noticed it too when I experimented with changing the HR20 output resolution.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
177 Posts
LameLefty said:
You're not imagining it. That's the HR20's internal anti-aliasing used for higher-resolution displays; it seems to lower the contrast of the UI elements. I noticed it too when I experimented with changing the HR20 output resolution.
good to know

thanks
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top