DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello -

This last weekend, I replaced my old 3lnb with a slimeline 5lnb AU9 (brand new from Solid Signal). For alignment, I used the signal meters on my HR20-700 and got 90's consistently for sat 101 and 119.

For 103c, my readings were less consistent - varying from some transponders showing 0 to others in the 90's. Plus, without moving my adjustments, some of the transponders would be in the 80-90's, then drop to 0. Didn't seem to matter if they were even or odd transponders.

Had a rain storm last night and lost signal with 771 errors, so I know I need to fine tune the 103c better - are there better transponders to focus on during the fine adjustment?

Also, do the 103s and 99 alignments take care of themselves after fine adjusting for 101/119/103c?

I've installed all my dishes in the past, but I'm new to Ka/Ku :)

Thanks -

Michael

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
brucknerdoc said:
Hello -

This last weekend, I replaced my old 3lnb with a slimeline 5lnb AU9 (brand new from Solid Signal). For alignment, I used the signal meters on my HR20-700 and got 90's consistently for sat 101 and 119.

For 103c, my readings were less consistent - varying from some transponders showing 0 to others in the 90's. Plus, without moving my adjustments, some of the transponders would be in the 80-90's, then drop to 0. Didn't seem to matter if they were even or odd transponders.

Had a rain storm last night and lost signal with 771 errors, so I know I need to fine tune the 103c better - are there better transponders to focus on during the fine adjustment?

Also, do the 103s and 99 alignments take care of themselves after fine adjusting for 101/119/103c?

I've installed all my dishes in the past, but I'm new to Ka/Ku :)

Thanks -

Michael
If you have some 103c transponders in the 90s and others at zero, that is NOT an alignment issue, you have some other problem like a faulty cable/connector or a faulty BBC. All the transponders on 103c should have basically the same signal strength. If your dish is misaligned, you will find one set of transponders (odd or even) will lose signal faster than the other so you could have a situation where the evens were at 60 and the odds at 45, for example. But definitely not 90s and zeros.
103s will show widely differing signal strengths because it carries only spotbeams
with HD locals, and they are pointed at different cities.
Because of the geometry of the dish, if you get the 101/119/103c alignment to be OK, the other satellites will take care of themselves. 103s is in the same location as 103c as far as your dish is concerned, the satellites are so close your dish can't see the difference and they look like one satellite at 103. Same with 99s and 99c.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,433 Posts
You have no problems. The "blinking 0's" are a software issue. The View Signal Strength grid software is sweeping the tp's faster than the LNB can change polarity and keep up. If you'll check the individual tp signals using the Signal Meter selection, you'll no doubt see that they're all steady. Congratulations on the 90's!

The clearest sign of a dish being slightly out of alignment is a disparity in tp strengths between the odds and the evens on 103(c). If you don't have that problem, and your mast is plumb, you should be good-to-go on all the Ka satellites, 99(s), 99(c), 103(s), and 103(c).

You'll find that the Ka satellites are the first to go and rapidly drop to zero with heavy rain storms in the LOS.

·
Cool Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip about using the signal meters instead - you were absolutely correct, my tp strengths stay steady in the high 80's-low 90's unlike the grid display.

Take care -

K4SMX said:
You have no problems. The "blinking 0's" are a software issue. The View Signal Strength grid software is sweeping the tp's faster than the LNB can change polarity and keep up. If you'll check the individual tp signals using the Signal Meter selection, you'll no doubt see that they're all steady. Congratulations on the 90's!

The clearest sign of a dish being slightly out of alignment is a disparity in tp strengths between the odds and the evens on 103(c). If you don't have that problem, and your mast is plumb, you should be good-to-go on all the Ka satellites, 99(s), 99(c), 103(s), and 103(c).

You'll find that the Ka satellites are the first to go and rapidly drop to zero with heavy rain storms in the LOS.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.