DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm getting an HDTV for Christmas, and I'm a DishNetwork customer. I've got America's Top 180 and Multi-Sport, and pay around $56 a month. I'd like to keep the channels I've got, or switch to something comparable from DirecTV, plus see the available HD channels, including New York-area locals in HD.

The big question: should I switch to DirecTV? Would it be cheaper/better? Anyone else done anything similar? Help!

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
DishNetwork (E*) currently has the most HD channels, and a more reliable HD DVR.

My advice: "Dance with the one what brung you."

·
7 Posts
With Direct you can get the NYC networks as Distants in HD ( which Dish never offered) and I love sports in HD. With Dish you can get the Voom channels including interesting movies. For me it's a tough decision. Which is more impotant?

·
AllStar
52 Posts
Dish has more HD channels however I have heard Directtv has the capability to have more HD channels than anyone else.
I have also heard Directv has more Local HD channels.
I have Dish and I am pretty happy, my 622 works pretty well, better than any other dish dvr I ever had before. I have read a lot of complaints about the Directv dvr that came out not long ago, but I don't have one to compare. I miss the tivo navigation but the 622 has a lot of features tivo lacked.

I went with dish because I could get it without contract and they had more hd channels, I figured I would reconsider my decision once a year, and it hasn't been a year yet nor do I want to switch.

·
Godfather
260 Posts
I have been with D* for 7 years and been happy with them, when I went to HD in October I stuck with D*. I looked at cable but I knew people who have had trouble with the Time Warner service here and they were looking towards D* or E*.

My uncle switched from E* to D* a few years ago when he bought an HDTV, that was mainly because the DISH HD-DVR was not out yet and the D* HD-Tivo was. He has since added Sunday Ticket so he will stay with D*.

If you are happy with E* and their programming meets your requirements then by all means stick with them, if not look at all available options.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
casolorz said:
Dish has more HD channels however I have heard Directtv has the capability to have more HD channels than anyone else.
I have also heard Directv has more Local HD channels.
D* has less capacity for HD channels at this time then E*. Right now they have to shut down TNT-HD and pay per view on Sundays just to carry the NFL games in HD. That's supposed to change mid 2007 once the first of their two new satellites go on line, until then E* has more national HD channels. Right now D* does have more local HD channels available then E* and says they'll have the capacity to carry 1500 local HD channels by the end of 2007. So if you need more HD now then E* has it but in 6 or 7 months that may nolonger be true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.