DBSTalk Forum banner

Wishlist Poll: Moviesearch

• Yes, Give me Moviesearch as it is explained in the 1st post.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Thanks, I think that would be confusing.

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • Whatever makes you happy, I have no opinon!

Votes: 2 8.3%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I see a movie in the guide and I can't select it for recording because there are already 2 other shows scheduled to be recorded at that time... I would like to see a movie search function added that, when the record button is hit on a program that can't be recorded due to conflicts, will offer to search for another airing of that movie, on any channel, and show us a list of showings for that program that could be recorded without creating any conflict.

Currently, when you hit record for a program in the guide that would conflict, the unit shows you a pop up and asks you if you want to cancel that request, cancel the 1st program already set to record, or cancel the second program already set to record. I propose that the a 4th option be labeled: Search for Another Airing to Record... and that choice be the default option. Also, searching this way should always offer HD versions first, and then an SD version only if there is no HD version available.

Edit: If when the unit searched for another showing and came back with none, it would give you an option to set up a ARSL one time record for the next time the show came on, whenever that was....

I'm stealing this idea from Gamesearch....

And it would only affect one screen by adding one additional option when a program selected for recording would cause a conflict.

Thoughts?

·
Difficulty Concen........
7,395 Posts
voted yes because this has been frustrating as well. But here is the trouble. #1 the title is specific to movies when it can be any type of show this happens with. That is small potatoes. #2 is that one of the the other 2 recordings could be the ones that have showings later to prevent the conflict. But I voted yes because it would be a way to avoid 1/3 of the options.

·
Registered
14,514 Posts
inkahauts said:
Sometimes I see a movie in the guide and I can't select it for recording because there are already 2 other shows scheduled to be recorded at that time... I would like to see a movie search function added that, when the record button is hit on a program that can't be recorded due to conflicts, will offer to search for another airing of that movie, on any channel, and show us a list of showings for that program that could be recorded without creating any conflict.

Currently, when you hit record for a program in the guide that would conflict, the unit shows you a pop up and asks you if you want to cancel that request, cancel the 1st program already set to record, or cancel the second program already set to record. I propose that the a 4th option be labeled: Search for Another Airing to Record... and that choice be the default option. Also, searching this way should always offer HD versions first, and then an SD version only if there is no HD version available.

And it would only affect one screen by adding one additional option when a program selected for recording would cause a conflict.

Thoughts?
I think it's a cool idea, but the receiver already has an option that may work for you.

If you see a movie you want to record but currently have a conflict, cancel the request to record, press INFO on the movie, select SHOWINGS from the menu. Then press REC on any of the future showings.

The only way this won't work is if there are no further showings in the next two weeks of guide data, so you'd have to create a custom Auto Record Series Link to capture it at some future showing.

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
inkahauts said:

Thoughts?
Where's your "Other, explained below" poll option?

In case there are no other showings available in the current GUIDE data, wouldn't it be better to have a fourth option that says "Create an ARSL for this request"? This would help find the movie in the future and be consistent with the current HR2x way of doing things. Just my .02. /steve

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
I voted yes but it's really an "Other".

It should come up with the list of showings as Drew already explained.

At the same time it should give you the option to cancel one of the currently scheduled recordings or select an alternate showing for the movie.

Mike

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve said:
Where's your "Other, explained below" poll option?

In case there are no other showings available in the current GUIDE data, wouldn't it be better to have a fourth option that says "Create an ARSL for this request"? This would help find the movie in the future and be consistent with the current HR2x way of doing things. Just my .02. /steve
It was late and I wasn't thinking.. I'll alter my first post so that there would be an additional option like you said...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.