DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a new house built, it is now framed, and I am planning for the placement of the satellite dish. I have a general idea of satellite direction, but I really don't like guessing. Does Dish Network provide a site survey to help determine dish placement so that a prewire can be done with the other electrical? Any advice here? Thanks.

·
Legend
103 Posts
TLY said:
We are having a new house build, it is now framed, and I am planning for the placement of the satellite dish. I have a general idea of satellite direction, but I really don't like guessing. Does Dish Network provide a site survey to help determine dish placement so that a prewire can be done with the other electrical? Any advice here? Thanks.
The tech who get the installation svcs must have a site survey before take out his/hers drill from the truck.;)

·
Legend
134 Posts
Whoever does the prewire should discuss with you your choices as the where the dish can go. Talk to your contractor about his plans for a low voltage prewire.

Where I'm from the low voltage prewire is rarely done by the electrician and low voltage wires must not be run in the same holes or closely parallel to electric wires.

Did my own prewire for video, phones, networking, alarm, speaker, and camera system. Pulled over 7000 ft of wire.

·
Legend
119 Posts
My dish was installed without a site survey. I told the Dish installer where the only place was to place the dish in order to see the western sky. It was 60 feet out into my side yard on a fence post and there it is today, along with my Wild Blue dish on the next post back.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Well since you didn't say where your from I'm going to guess Indy.

Line of site (LOS) for the following birds from Indy are:

Code:
Sat Name:                        Sat Lng:       Az(t):     Az(m):   Elevation:

EchoStar 3                        61.5W        144.3      148.6      37.4
EchoStar 6/EchoStar 8     110.0W       214.7      218.9     37.8
EchoStar 7/EchoStar 5     119.0W       225.3      229.5     33.0
Echostar 4                       129.0W       235.4       239.7    26.5

DirecTV 2/DirecTV 1R       101.0W       202.5       206.8    41.5
DirecTV 6                         110.0W       214.7       218.9    37.8
DirecTV 5                        119.0W        225.3       229.5    33.0

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
And even stupider snide remarks are made about simple questions they could have just anwsered!

TLY, the Dish installer must do a quick site survey to ensure you have line-of-sight from the location you chose. They also have to determine if it is practical to install at that locations for cable runs and if it is safe for them to work there. So yes they have to perform a site survey (look for what THEY think is the best place for the dish).

When I had my installation done 10 years ago, I chose a place. When the installer came he did a quick look-around and asked where my TVs were. After he was done he suggested a location. I then said "what about..." and mentioned where I wanted the dish. After a little talking about pros & cons of locations, he ended up putting the dish when i suggested.

It's really a simple thing. :)

See ya
Tony

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Tony is right, as usual. You're the 'boss', but you should be willing to consider
the "expert" advice of a professional installer.

If there is more than one suitable location on your property, the choice is yours,
within reason. The installer should abide by your preference(s) unless he has a
valid reason why your selection(s) are unpractical. When your installer arrives,
express your views, be willing to listen to his, but make sure your BS detector
is switched on. Be willing to compromise, if necessary.

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
TLY said:
We are having a new house built, it is now framed, and I am planning for the placement of the satellite dish. I have a general idea of satellite direction, but I really don't like guessing. Does Dish Network provide a site survey to help determine dish placement so that a prewire can be done with the other electrical? Any advice here? Thanks.
Dose not matter where the Dish is
Where the cable inters the house does
You want all your Utilities to enter in the same area
All grounded and bonded So all you need is to run to the ground block
The installer will go from there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.