DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
i'll watch it this afternoon-pvr'ed it at the office so i could watch survivor(i guess i'm just one of those grey headed old poops)..lol

·
Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Peter Wilson, here ya go.........

In case you didn't watch:

Most of the first hour was recap to get you up to speed. Mulder is caught breaking into a military facility, but only after pushing a soldier off a catwalk, onto high-voltage wires. So they put him before a secret military court, with Kirsch presiding (the Army general tells him he'll let the FBI handle the trial, but he expects a guilty verdict), but it's a farce because the man Mulder 'killed' is a virtually indestructable 'super-soldier.'

Anyway, so Mulder and Scully are re-united, and Mulder asks Skinner to defend him at trial. He knows the trial is rigged so he won't win, but he hopes Skinner and Scully can help him expose 'the truth.' Mulder says he knows everything now, but he thinks Scully would be better off not knowing. Oh, and he also sees the ghosts of dead characters like X and the Lone Gunmen from time to time, like the dead Obi-Wan to Luke in Star Wars, and we find out that Mulder has been hiding with Gibson Praise (the mind-reading chess prodigy) in New Mexico.

So during the trial, Skinner brings the other agents to the stand, and also Spender (who now looks like a burn victim because the govt. has injected him with experimental viruses) and Marita Covarrubias (who was part of the vaccination program). Each recaps his/her part of the story and the history of the X-Files & the alien conspiracy. Each is shot down during cross-examination, and hustled out of the room. Gibson Praise and a friend sense in New Mexico that Mulder needs help, and he shows up to testify as a surprise witness. He's only on the stand long enough to tell the tribunal that he can read everybody's mind, and he knows that one man on the tribunal is not human--he's an alien--before Gibson is hustled out of the room.

Meanwhile, Scully, Doggett, and Reyes are trying to locate the body of the supposed murder victim. At some point, they also learn that the 'super-soldiers' can be killed--by one particular metal or metal compound. As they call around to get access to the body, everyone gives them the runaround until they find someone who isn't in the loop, and sends them the body at Quantico. It's burnt beyond recognition, but Scully determines that the person was killed by a blunt object to the skull before burning--and she thinks this will be what wins Mulder's case. Kirsch, however, won't admit the evidence, on the grounds that Scully wasn't authorized to view the body. So case closed, and Mulder is found guilty, but he's allowed some last remarks which he uses to tell Kirsch and the panel that they have only sold themselves out, and may have rid themselves of a headache, but only by cutting off their own heads.

Next thing, Mulder is in his dark cell, scheduled to die, but Skinner & Doggett steal military uniforms & ID and are able to smuggle Mulder out of military prison and off base. As they're getting away (with Scully), some govt agents catch up to them, and as Kirsch emerges it seems they are caught. But no! Kirsch has taken Mulder's speech to heart, and urges them to take an SUV North to the Canadian border. 'If you're not off the continent in 24 hours, they will kill you.'

So off go Mulder & Scully, but not North. They go South. Why? Mulder's quest for the Truth. Eventually, they end up outside a Pueblo ruin. They park and go in to meet a medicine man, who turns out to be... yes, Cigarette-Smoking Man, looking like an old shaman with wrinkled skin, long stringy, grey hair, and smoking through the hole in his neck. Despite Mulder's protests, Cancer Man tells Scully the truth that Mulder wanted to keep from her: that the final alien invasion will come on December 22, 2012.

Meanwhile, back with the Feds, Gibson tells the agents that the bad guys know where Mulder & Scully are really going and are on their trail. So off go Reyes & Doggett. Using helicopters, they find the SUV outside the pueblo. Once they're on the ground, they meet the super-soldier Mulder supposedly killed--and Doggett tried to kill before, but failed to do. They warn the soldier to stop where he is, but he just smiles and dares them to shoot. This time, however, Doggett's gun has the special compound that can kill him--and it works.

They warn Mulder & Scully that more bad guys are on the way, and they escape just as military helicopters come along and blow the pueblo to smithereens, with CSM inside.

In the end, Mulder & Scully are together in a hotel room, talking about their lives and what the X-Files have done to them. Mulder is sorry Scully had to learn about 12/22/12; he's worried about what the knowledge will do to her. She says she thinks he didn't want to tell her because he wouldn't accept it as a certainty, and she asks why he would think she would just accept it.

So they both have an understanding of their life bond, and in the final shot Scully curls up next to Mulder in bed (which closely mimics the famous shot of them on the cover of Rolling Stone) and Mulder tells her, 'Maybe there is always hope.' (Something like that... how can I not be sure of the last line of the series? Oh, well.)

Fade to black.

I'm sure I'm missing some details, and descriptive details of the Mulder-Scully scenes, but that's pretty much what happened. I thought it was an nice wrap-up to the conspiracy story-arc. A little short on Big Secrets Revealed, and I thought they could've fleshed out Gibson Praise's role a little better; but it was entertaining, tied up a chapter, and set up the characters for what could be a good movie.

·
Icon
955 Posts
John deserves credit for posting a great summery.

The lamest part of the show was the trial. We are supposed to believe that a 2-star Marine general can authorize a secret trial with DD Kirsch as presiding judge of a panel of FBI/alien conspiracy goons & w/Skinner acting as defense attorney!

BTW, John, it turns out that the super-soldiers are vurnerable to magnetite (like Superman is to Kryptonite) & it is the presence of it in the New Mexico hills/mountains that protected the people there. (I don't think they had bullets made out of it.)

Also, chain-smoking man is shown smoking thru a tracheotomy tube while conversing w/M & S - a physical impossibility.

I stopped watching Xfiles last season, feeling it had "jumped the shark" so to speak but I tuned in yesterday for the grand finale. I could have skipped it.:(

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
I stopped watching it with the peacocks(that was just too too...)-watched the finale on pvr and found myself racing thru it with the jump ahead button(i was sorry, tho, that deep throat didn't make an appearance-i always liked him better than X-and also missed jeremiah smith)...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.