DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks I have been stuck between D* and their service contractor here in Houston. D* and DBSTalk tell me that the satellite at 99 degrees (D11) is up and running with several channels operating on it. ESPN, ESPN2, & TNT are the most notable. Mean while a technician last week after being incredibly rude and late says 110 and 119 are the only satellites I need to worry about. After phone calls to D* they send me to "Case Management" and schedule another time yesterday. Again the guy is not only late he doesn't make it at all and ask me to call him this morning. I did and he is telling me the same thing. He basically told me that D* is wrong. He said "They are just customer service reps and we are the technicians.". I am so frustrated that I just want to cancel and go with something else. So who is correct. The service technicians or D*? I tend to believe D* and DBStalk. The problem is I can't get the service company to do anything.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,417 Posts
Most people would not care, or even know, where their signals are coming from. Are you having a LOS issue with 110/119? It souldn't matter now as all the programming has been moved to D11.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
63 Posts
badhutx said:
For the last 2 weeks I have been stuck between D* and their service contractor here in Houston. D* and DBSTalk tell me that the satellite at 99 degrees (D11) is up and running with several channels operating on it. ESPN, ESPN2, & TNT are the most notable. Mean while a technician last week after being incredibly rude and late says 110 and 119 are the only satellites I need to worry about. After phone calls to D* they send me to "Case Management" and schedule another time yesterday. Again the guy is not only late he doesn't make it at all and ask me to call him this morning. I did and he is telling me the same thing. He basically told me that D* is wrong. He said "They are just customer service reps and we are the technicians.". I am so frustrated that I just want to cancel and go with something else. So who is correct. The service technicians or D*? I tend to believe D* and DBStalk. The problem is I can't get the service company to do anything.
Has the dish and equipment already been installed? Are you not getting those channels? How does he know you can only get the 110 and 119 satellites. If you don't have HD you don't need to worry about 99 right now, but if you want HD in the future, you'll need to get that satellite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,024 Posts
Take a few steps back, lets start at the begining.

What are you trying to accomplish?
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jared52 said:
Has the dish and equipment already been installed? Are you not getting those channels? How does he know you can only get the 110 and 119 satellites. If you don't have HD you don't need to worry about 99 right now, but if you want HD in the future, you'll need to get that satellite.
Right now I have my HD stations. Satellite at 99 degrees is only pulling 40s and 50s for strength. I also realize that the channels were moved. That is why called in the first place. Last week I turned on my TVs' and I was getting searching for signal. The satellite at 99 degrees was at 0. Now I am at 40s' and 50s'.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RobertE said:
Take a few steps back, lets start at the begining.

What are you trying to accomplish?
I want to ensure that my service is setup correctly. Last week when my service had searching for Satellite on 206, 209, 245, and some others I called D*. They arranged for a technician to come out. That person told me that there is nothing at 99 degrees. I don't want to repost the story sorry. If those channels are moved with their MPEG 4 versions I want to make sure I am going to receive those channels in the future.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,763 Posts
badhutx said:
I want to ensure that my service is setup correctly. Last week when my service had searching for Satellite on 206, 209, 245, and some others I called D*. They arranged for a technician to come out. That person told me that there is nothing at 99 degrees. I don't want to repost the story sorry. If those channels are moved with their MPEG 4 versions I want to make sure I am going to receive those channels in the future.
Don't rely solely on what the phone answering people at Directv tell you. They just have a script to follow and don't know much about the technology side, sometimes they guess at an answer. Some of the installers and field techs are not up with the latest info either. You have come to the right place for answers, many good posters here who will do their best to assist you.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jared52 said:
If you can't get a station you are paying for, you need to have your dish realligned. If it's just been installed, I'd make sure DirecTV knows that and get them to have it fixed.
I have been a customer for 2 plus years. I had an AT9 dish and the technician last week decided to put the slimline dish up. I didn't have a problem with that. Except originally my signal at 101 dropped to the 70s' from the 80s' and 90s'. I had to almost beg him to adjust it again. I still had searching for signal on those channels until he went back up and adjusted the dish again.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joed32 said:
Don't rely solely on what the phone answering people at Directv tell you. They just have a script to follow and don't know much about the technology side, sometimes they guess at an answer. Some of the installers and field techs are not up with the latest info either. You have come to the right place for answers, many good posters here who will do their best to assist you.
One of the reps read me an e-mail verbatim that told them that the channels were being moved to D11.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,024 Posts
badhutx said:
I want to ensure that my service is setup correctly. Last week when my service had searching for Satellite on 206, 209, 245, and some others I called D*. They arranged for a technician to come out. That person told me that there is nothing at 99 degrees. I don't want to repost the story sorry. If those channels are moved with their MPEG 4 versions I want to make sure I am going to receive those channels in the future.
If you don't feel like giving the details as to what and why you feel you have an issue thats fine. Just don't expect people to read your mind. Your original post gave no information that would have been helpful for those here to diagnose what your issue is. For example, if you only had legacy equipment, then 99 really doesnt matter. It's just the little things, like details, that are important.

Anyway, you need your dish tweaked, everything on a conus transponder should be at least 70, preferably in the 80-95 range.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RobertE said:
If you don't feel like giving the details as to what and why you feel you have an issue thats fine. Just don't expect people to read your mind. Your original post gave no information that would have been helpful for those here to diagnose what your issue is. For example, if you only had legacy equipment, then 99 really doesnt matter. It's just the little things, like details, that are important.

Anyway, you need your dish tweaked, everything on a conus transponder should be at least 70, preferably in the 80-95 range.
I have an H20, and HR21-700 with now a Slimline Dish. I had an AT9 dish before last weekend. I woke up to searching for signal on 206, 209, 245, and a hand full of others. I went here first to find out what may have been happening. Sure enough I found that the channels I was having a problem with were switched to MPEG 4 and moved to the new D11 satellite. That is what prompted my call to D*.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
davring said:
If you can get your "tech" to peak the dish on 99c/103c you should be good to go.
That is the problem. The technicians will not peak the dish for 99c/103c. The person this morning said I only need 99c if I have international channels. They will only peak for 110 and 119.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,792 Posts
badhutx said:
I have an H20, and HR21-700 with now a Slimline Dish. I had an AT9 dish before last weekend. I woke up to searching for signal on 206, 209, 245, and a hand full of others. I went here first to find out what may have been happening. Sure enough I found that the channels I was having a problem with were switched to MPEG 4 and moved to the new D11 satellite. That is what prompted my call to D*.
I have a curiosity question why would the tech take down an AT9 and replace it with the SlimLine?.:confused:
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
10,839 Posts
Jhon69 said:
I have a curiosity question why would the tech take down an AT9 and replace it with the SlimLine?.:confused:
I can't answer for the person you were asking but I had a dish realignment a few months ago and when the tech came out he told me they were instructed to replace all AT-9 dishes with a Slimline if they are on a service call for a dish realignment. Not really sure why though. I don't know if he was correct or not but I didn't really care either way.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Michael D'Angelo;1727593 said:
I can't answer for the person you were asking but I had a dish realignment a few months ago and when the tech came out he told me they were instructed to replace all AT-9 dishes with a Slimline if they are on a service call for a dish realignment. Not really sure why though. I don't know if he was correct or not but I didn't really care either way.
The technician last week told me the same thing. They have been told to replace all of the AT9 dishes.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top