DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
gcd0865 said:
I recently e-mailed DirecTV's support for the Detroit market about four new neighboring Canadian stations that went digital/HD in September, which come in fine via antenna on my tv's tuner, but I can't watch or record them using my AM21:

CBET 9.1/9.1 (CBC) Windsor, Ontario
CHWI 16.1/16.1 (CTV2) Wheatley, Ontario
CIII 22.1/22.1 (Global) Stevenson, Ontario
CICO 32.1/32.1 (TVOntario) Windsor, Ontario

It's kind of a pain to switch to the tv tuner to watch these stations, and impossible to convince friends to switch to DirecTV when they can't record "Hockey Night in Canada" on CBC-9. All area cable companies offer at least some of these Canadian channels, and a recent posting from this area on another board advises that even Dish Network's "OTA module" is able to tune/record these Canadian stations:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/264951-can-ota-module-receive-canadian-stations.html

All four Canadian stations and their full programming data are already in the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, so it should just be a matter of DirecTV updating its station listing for metro Detroit so we can tune these stations with our AM21s.

So far, I've had a few back-and-forth e-mails with various DirecTV support people who seem very kind/courteous, but don't appear to have any true understanding of the problem (saying things like not being able to provide service outside the U.S., not being able to offer Canadian stations via satellite, etc.). Clearly, I haven't yet reached someone with a full understanding about how the AM21 works or its relationship to the Tribune/Zap2It.com database, although the last e-mail did say they were pushing the matter up another level, so we'll see.

We have a few other local/low-power OTA stations in this area that are also missing from the Detroit AM21 station listing:

WDWO-CD 18.1/18.1 TCT/Cornerstone
WDWO-CD 18.2/18.2 TCT-HD
WDWO-CD 18.3/18.3 TCT Family
WDWO-CD 18.4/18.4 La Fuente
WUDT-LP 8.1/23.1 Daystar
W47DL-D 47.1/47.1 TBN
W47DL-D 47.2/47.2 JCTV
W47DL-D 47.3/47.3 Smile of a Child
W47DL-D 47.4/47.4 Church Channel
W47DL-D 47.5/47.5 Enlace USA
Do not expect Directv to ever add stations that aren't a USA channel. EVER.

·
Premium Member
25,286 Posts
I don't think they have even stopped adding sub channels. maybe in a couple areas if they simply have way to many, but they don't seem to have stopped adding them everywhere.

Allowing for scanning would eliminate all these issues though, that's for sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.