DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sling-ed in to my HR-20 at home to check my recording schedule on something. I accidentally changed channels to 100.

I get the following message: "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI connection with component cables (red, green, blue connectors) will allow you to view this program.

On Channel 100? And 101?

And, uhhhh, the Slingbox IS connnected via component. The TV is not.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
100 is the test channel for HDCP HDMI copy protection.

Messages cannot be shown to only one output, so obviously your HDMI triggered it (cause it could not use HDCP via HDMI) and the message showed on your component output as well since all outputs show the same thing.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
They have been testing content protection on 100.

I just tested and got the same thing. It's possible that with the hdmi cable conencted and the TV off, that the box interprets the lack of signal on the hdmi cable as the TV not supporting content protection. Since all outputs are active and mirror each other, the component connection doesn't work independent of the hdmi and the box mirrors the hdmi connection when used.

I'd suspect that if the TV is turned on, the message would disappear.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
say-what said:
It's possible that with the hdmi cable conencted and the TV off, that the box interprets the lack of signal on the hdmi cable as the TV not supporting content protection.
You know what, you're totally right. I hadn't thought of that.

Once they put the content protection on all channels those of us with Slingboxes are screwed.

·
Legend
201 Posts
You could get a component video distribution amp and run your TV off of it instead of HDMI. Not a great solution, but a solution...

- Chip

RunnerFL said:
You know what, you're totally right. I hadn't thought of that.

Once they put the content protection on all channels those of us with Slingboxes are screwed.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
You could be screwed anyways potentially if they turn off other non-secured outputs with content protection enabled on select channels to help combat reproduction.

But who knows, at this point I dont think there are any definite plans on how HDCP (the HDMI content protection) is going to be used and on what specifically. I would be surprised if they do it on all channels anytime soon, most likely it will be for premiums/PPVs.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
Grentz said:
You could be screwed anyways potentially if they turn off other non-secured outputs with content protection enabled on select channels to help combat reproduction.

But who knows, at this point I dont think there are any definite plans on how HDCP (the HDMI content protection) is going to be used and on what specifically. I would be surprised if they do it on all channels anytime soon, most likely it will be for premiums/PPVs.
My understanding is that OTA broadcasts are not allowed to be locked-down and that means that D*'s carriage of these channels also can't be locked-down. As for movie channels, PPV, and non-OTA broadcasted content, that can be locked-down, but the analog outputs won't be shut off, but instead, downgraded to 480p.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
rudeney said:
My understanding is that OTA broadcasts are not allowed to be locked-down and that means that D*'s carriage of these channels also can't be locked-down.
One does NOT mean the other. The restriction on the "lock-down" is only for OTA broadcasts, not for sat broadcasts (even if they are just re-broadcasting the same content).

That doesn't mean that the copy protection WILL be enabled, just that it COULD be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.