DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've been with DTV for 2 1/2 years. Out of contract. Currently have 2 HR-23's, an SD DVR box, and 2 SD receivers. I now have HDTVs in 4 of the 5 rooms. I want to go to Whole Home DVR. Called cust service and was offered an HR-34 and 2 HD receivers for $150 ($100 for HR-34 and $50 for installation). Not a bad deal I guess. I would keep the two HR-23s, so would have the 34, 2 23s, and 2 HD receivers in the setup (I would go ahead and get an HD box for the room that does not currently have an HDTV so as to avoid another 2 year extension of my contract when I do upgrade to HDTV in this room). I would not be getting the new C31's, but 2 of their older HD receivers.

My question is what advantages/disadvantages would I get with having the 2 non C31s in this setup? I think I am hearing I wouldn't be able to pause live TV on the older HD receivers...is that true? To get 2 C31s instead of the older HD receivers would cost me an additional $200...total of $350...and that is a hell no! But I am just curious what flexibility I would lose with the older HD boxes. I would of course put these boxes in the rooms that we don't use for TV viewing as much, so it would not matter as much. But am just curious. Thx for any help.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Disadvantage: The C31 will use a tuner from the HR34, but will otherwise provide all the functions of the HR34 as if it was in the room with you.

Advantage: The HD receiver wont use a tuner from the HR34, and is totally independent. If you feel the need to pause live TV on one of these whole home enabled receivers, you can hit the record button, choose a DVR to record to, then hit LIST and choose the recording you just started. You will now be able to pause and use trick play on that recording.

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Advantage: If the HD box is an H25, that's probably the fastest and most responsive STB DIRECTV offers. If you don't need to pause LIVE TV, the H25 is a great client box in a WHDVR set-up.

You will be able to schedule recordings on your HR34 and HR23s from the H25. You will not be able to manage your TDL or Series Managers from it, however. The C31 will allow you to schedule and manage recordings on the HR34 only, not the HR23s.

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the responses. Sounds like the C31s wouldn't really do me much good, especially for $100 each! Although I do like the small size of the C31s. I will try and push for the H25! One thing is for sure...I wouldn't lack for tuners! 5 with the 34 and 2 each with the 23s.

A few more questions...will the H25 (or any other HD receiver they give me) be able to see and play the recorded shows on both the HR-34 AND the 2 HR-23s? And will each HD DVR be able to see and play any shows recorded on one another? In other words I guess, will all the receivers be able to play shows from any of the DVRs? Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.