DBSTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Godfather
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a new DVR installed to replace one of the two we had. So as a consequence we blank HD. So anyway we're adding series to it but also to the other DVR. Couple of night ago I added a series on one and my wife added the same series on the other and of course we ended up with two programs recorded which is understandable but then again I figured that having the two networked together they'd be smart enough to know that. Am I overestimating the AI here?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,640 Posts
I think what you are talking about is collaborative scheduling and no, it is not a feature available on the HR series DVRs. It would be nice to have and but for now you need to manage your series links manually across your DVRs.

·
Godfather
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go Beavs said:
I think what you are talking about is collaborative scheduling and no, it is not a feature available on the HR series DVRs. It would be nice to have and but for now you need to manage your series links manually across your DVRs.
Well as I said it makes sense but I was hoping:D

Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Maybe now that the new HDGUI is out, DirecTV might start working on collaborative schedule for the DVRs. ???

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
jdspencer said:
Maybe now that the new HDGUI is out, DirecTV might start working on collaborative schedule for the DVRs. ???
!rolling like after two years they're going to think about it now?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
Currently if you want to cut down on duplicates, you have to schedule the recordings from a non-dvr, and pick which dvr you want it to record on. The dvrs will only let you schedule shows on its own tuners, since a non-dvr does no recording, it asks you to choose which dvr you want to record it on, avoiding the duplication, again, unless both of you choose to setup the same recording on different dvrs.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
After talking to some of my Sources, Directv is looking into it but there are some Issues and Obstacles that have to be addressed because it may not be as easy as WE THINK IT IS.

After all we don't want to unnessarily Overburden the CPU to a point where it is Slow and doesn't Function as Fast as we would like.

A lot of times we think Directv is Not Listening but I have been assured that they are Listening a lot more than we realize but things are not always that easy to implement and then you have to Cost Justify it to Upper Management.

The whole Process takes time even if Directv does decide to do it.

Patience Grasshopper Patience!!! :D

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
+100 RIchirich

Every jackwagon thats ever written a batch file thinks he can program better than the guys at D* writing their dvr code. It almost is never as easy as some of the posters here think it is but they will never accept that answer, because they think they are smarter than everyone else.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
jdspencer said:
But in some cases, I don't want collaborative scheduling. Instead, I want to have a second copy of a show. For example, while my HR34 is new and getting its feet wet so to speak, everything it records, is recorded on an HR20 or an HR24. Just as it took a while before I completely trusted the HR24.

So sometimes duplicates are good. At some point, I see having 2 HR34's duplicating each other. One will be on the WHDVR system, one will not.

·
Godfather
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd guess you're probably the minority though even though I see where you're at with it. That's sort of where I'm at right now. I don't know what I have scheduled on the DVR that got replaced so we're just adding things we want and a couple of times we've both added the something or one of us have added a program on the new DVR that's already on the older one.

I want more capacity not duplicates. Of course I guess I'm a jackwagon:eek2:

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Herdfan said:
But in some cases, I don't want collaborative scheduling. Instead, I want to have a second copy of a show. For example, while my HR34 is new and getting its feet wet so to speak, everything it records, is recorded on an HR20 or an HR24. Just as it took a while before I completely trusted the HR24.

So sometimes duplicates are good. At some point, I see having 2 HR34's duplicating each other. One will be on the WHDVR system, one will not.
You have just pointed out why this isn't as easy as it seems, as Richierich mentioned. :)

Now an app for the PC or whatever that would allow you to make changes to the Series Lists would be great. Or at least display the current settings.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,489 Posts
CCarncross said:
+100 RIchirich

Every jackwagon thats ever written a batch file thinks he can program better than the guys at D* writing their dvr code. It almost is never as easy as some of the posters here think it is but they will never accept that answer, because they think they are smarter than everyone else.
I was a Computer Programmer for 30+ Years and I can tell you for sure that it is Never as Easy as it seems and Murphy always jumps in to Bite you in the A$$ every chance he gets.

And even if you plan for every contingency you and others can think of when you implement it into the Production Real World Environment there will be things that cause the program to crash because of one little thing you didn't think about or consider.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts