DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had an install done on Thursday and am having issues after moving a tv/receiver. i had two tvs in the basement, but installer wanted to move one to the bedroom. i did so but told him i would be moving it back. he said no problem. i asked him how to do so and he kind of showed me. now i tried moving it and it wont work. 771 error.

I knew this would happen. so now tech is coming out on Monday again. i move tvs come football time and this guy was aware. still not sure why he had me move the tv upstairs in the first place other than it made his install easier.

this tv is connected in the room with the router and its moving to the basement. so what all do i need to move with it? he just told me to swipe out some cables but there is also a box in there with 3 green lights. not sure if that moves. that receiver is an HR24. he also put that in with this install. not sure of what that does over the HR22's i currently have.

thanks.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
Okay, we need just a little more info about your setup, but here is how it should be set up...

You should have a coax going to the HR22s. At each HR22, you should have a little white box (DECA) that has an ethernet cable going to the HR22 and a coax going to SAT1. The HR24 does not need this DECA as it is built in.

You probably also have a Cinema Connection Kit. If you have the wireless version, it will have spots for two coax cables. Basically, you install it in-line on a coax that goes to a receiver. It will also have a Power Inserter (PI - basically it's power supply) and a port for an ethernet cable to run to your router. You also need a PI for your SWM unit (the unit that allows you to only need one cable for a dual-tuner DVR). This can be placed in-line to a receiver or might be on it's own coax run.

As for the 771 error, is that showing up on only the receiver you are moving or all of them?

- Merg

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Merg said:
Okay, we need just a little more info about your setup, but here is how it should be set up...

You should have a coax going to the HR22s. At each HR22, you should have a little white box (DECA) that has an ethernet cable going to the HR22 and a coax going to SAT1. The HR24 does not need this DECA as it is built in.

You probably also have a Cinema Connection Kit. If you have the wireless version, it will have spots for two coax cables. Basically, you install it in-line on a coax that goes to a receiver. It will also have a Power Inserter (PI - basically it's power supply) and a port for an ethernet cable to run to your router. You also need a PI for your SWM unit (the unit that allows you to only need one cable for a dual-tuner DVR). This can be placed in-line to a receiver or might be on it's own coax run.

As for the 771 error, is that showing up on only the receiver you are moving or all of them?

- Merg
I have only moved one so far. and was going to wait till football season to move the other. i feel helpless since i know nothing about the whole home. it was so easy with just cables to deal with.

i also do have the cinema kit. most of the receivers run to a black thing that has two green lights and a coax and ethernet runing to the back. one also has the big power block as well.

this one in particular is the HR24 and does not have the black connector with the two green lights. it did have the box with three green lights and is connected to the router. i only brought the tv and receiver down to the basement. does the box need to be there also? cause its connected by a ethernet cable to the router and that will never reach.

thanks.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
This "black box" needs to stay where it was installed:
[don't worry about the white box in the image]

Here's a layout:

Your small black box with two lights is replacing the white box [older version of same thing]

You 24 has the "black/white" box internally, so when you move things around, they need to stay with the receiver like this:

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im pretty sure i dont have everything i need to move it. if i do what the installer told me to do then the box with three lights that connects to the router has issues. almost like i need an additional splitter. he told me to disconnect a certain cable and to connect the other coax to it and it should be good. its not.

i probably should just wait til monday. i will just make sure i dont let the installer leave if i still think i may not understand something.

Does the little black box with the three lights that connects to my router, does that move at all with the receiver? reason i ask is because its connected through ethernet to the router and that would need a super long ethernet cable. he didnt mention moving that. so i doubt that needs to move.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
bhigh8 said:
Does the little black box with the three lights that connects to my router, does that move at all with the receiver? reason i ask is because its connected through ethernet to the router and that would need a super long ethernet cable. he didnt mention moving that. so i doubt that needs to move.
This one shouldn't move.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
bhigh8 said:
im pretty sure i dont have everything i need to move it. if i do what the installer told me to do then the box with three lights that connects to the router has issues. almost like i need an additional splitter. he told me to disconnect a certain cable and to connect the other coax to it and it should be good. its not.

i probably should just wait til monday. i will just make sure i dont let the installer leave if i still think i may not understand something.

The box connected to your router would be the Cinema Connection Kit. It can stay where it is.

When you reconnected the receiver downstairs did you make sure to connect the coax to the SAT1 input. That's very important.

Also, as VOS mentioned with his first photo, the SWM PI should just stay where it is. Without that plugged in to a coax and a wall outlet, you will not get any signal on your receivers. Also, you didn't mention if the 771 error was on all receivers or just the one you moved.

- Merg

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
I also wonder if the installer even left the satellite cable to the basement the OP is trying to move the receiver to, connected at the SWiM splitter.

If he did, then he should have at least terminated the cable at its basement end.

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All three of the other HDDVRS work fine. just the one i moved. i had a previous cable that ran to the basement and he said when i wanted to move it, to just hook that to the splitter that used to run to the upstairs bedroom. i did that and got the 771A error. do i need to close the connections upstairs when i brought the tv and receiver downstairs? if so, how do i do that?

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
bhigh8 said:
All three of the other HDDVRS work fine. just the one i moved. i had a previous cable that ran to the basement and he said when i wanted to move it, to just hook that to the splitter that used to run to the upstairs bedroom. i did that and got the 771A error. do i need to close the connections upstairs when i brought the tv and receiver downstairs? if so, how do i do that?
If you are receiving a 771A error with all the other receivers fine then it means the cable to the basement you reconnected at the splitter is really not connected or is bad as the receiver can't make contact with the SWiM for some reason.

Recheck that connection again at the splitter, and make sure the upstairs one is indeed the one disconnected now and the one to the basement firmly reconnected.

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
maybe im not understanding. all the other receivers are connected and working fine. i think i just need to close off the connection upstairs where i moved the tv from and i think im short a splitter. i need to run something from the SWiM. i disconnect the one from the upstairs bedroom and connect the new one but then that disconnects the box connected to the router. so that cant be removed.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
bhigh8 said:
maybe im not understanding. all the other receivers are connected and working fine. i think i just need to close off the connection upstairs where i moved the tv from and i think im short a splitter. i need to run something from the SWiM. i disconnect the one from the upstairs bedroom and connect the new one but then that disconnects the box connected to the router. so that cant be removed.
Correct, my bad;

Since the Cinema Connection Kit is on the upstairs line, it must remain connected at the splitter and you're going to need an additional output in the way of a larger splitter or something to connect the basement line as well.

But is there a 2-way green label splitter attached to the line upstairs?

· Legend
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HoTat2 said:
Correct, my bad;

Since the Cinema Connection Kit is on the upstairs line, it must remain connected at the splitter and you're going to need an additional output in the way of a larger splitter or something to connect the basement line as well.

But is there a 2-way green label splitter attached to the line upstairs?
yes, there is a 2 way green label splitter upstairs. so now the cable goes to nothing.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
bhigh8 said:
yes, there is a 2 way green label splitter upstairs. so now the cable goes to nothing.
OK;

Sorry for the delay in responding, had to run out on an errand. I was going to suggest, for now at least, to remove the 2-way green label splitter from the end of the upstairs cable run and then connect the upstairs cable directly into the CCK.

Now go to the main splitter and disconnect the upstairs cable from it and connect a short coax patch cable (if you can locate one) from that main splitter output port to the input of the 2-way splitter you removed from the upstairs cable.

Now connect one of the outputs of the 2-way splitter to the upstairs cable and the other output to the basement cable run.

This then should solve both your problems, at least until the tech comes back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.