DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently have 5 HD-DVRs (HR24-500 x3, HR23-700 & HR22-100) for use in my Whole-Home setup. I have had these DVRs for quite awhile and want to possibly upgrade to some newer equipment.

Since we really only view content from these 5 DVRs on two TVs (wife/mom's room & man cave), I do not really need that many receivers, just their storage capability (~500 hours HD content). Any suggestions on new equipment?

I have read a little about the Genie and really like the concept, but as I understand it, I would probably lose recording capability. I would love to streamline my setup and keep or extend my HD recording capabilities.

Thanks for any help.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
The best you can do is swap the DVR with the smallest HDD for a Genie which has a 1GB HDD. I seem to remember the HR22 HDD was 350MB

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
In your case, "streamlining" could mean loosing tuners. What you can do is keep what you have and replace your worst DVR, and get a Genie. You can connect up to 16 TB external HDD to it. Although I would never put all my recording on one box

· Registered
24,395 Posts
How many tvs do you actually have? There's many options.... I'll suggest what I do once I know how many tvs you actually have because that would affect what I'd do.

But an esata drive would be part of what I'd suggest for sure.

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like adding a Genie would be my best move; I was hoping they would allow that:)

@inkahauts, I have 5 TVs, but as I mentioned I only really watch 2 of them. So if that info helps, I will await your recommendation before I make any move.

Thanks for the help.

· Icon
2,696 Posts
Do you have lots of DVR's because you need to record many programs at the same time or because you want to save programs for a long time and need the disk space of many DVR's to do so?

If the latter, then going with a Genie and a high capacity external hard drive (or RAID setup) is probably your best answer. However, whatever way you choose, you will end up losing content recorded on any DVR that you get rid of (you can't transfer content from a DVR to another DVR, or even to an external hard drive to be used by another DVR)

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Bill, definitely for the tuners and scheduling convenience. With the prices of external HDD's and their apparent good performance, makes no sense to go messing inside one of these DVRs for an internal HDD upgrade. Unless I am missing some bigger benefit (which is very possible).

All said and done, it looks like a 1TB Genie is in my immediate future, with a possible swap-out of my older HR's for 2 more HR24s.

Thanks again to everyone for your help; this place is THE resource for satellite TV performance.

· Genius.
19,830 Posts
silentpartner said:
@Bill, definitely for the tuners and scheduling convenience. With the prices of external HDD's and their apparent good performance, makes no sense to go messing inside one of these DVRs for an internal HDD upgrade. Unless I am missing some bigger benefit (which is very possible).

All said and done, it looks like a 1TB Genie is in my immediate future, with a possible swap-out of my older HR's for 2 more HR24s.

Thanks again to everyone for your help; this place is THE resource for satellite TV performance.
Hard drives upgrades must be of the external kind, unless you owned the receiver as you can't open a receiver without violating DIRECTV® ToS

· Icon
2,696 Posts
silentpartner said:
Nobody suggested that you do an internal hard drive upgrade.

· Mentor
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry fellas, I never thought anyone had suggested that. I just threw in my 2 cents on the internal HDD stuff because of all the comments/posts I had seen while researching the forums prior to posting my initial question. Upon reflection, I now see how my reply gave off that impression.

As a DIRECTV customer for over 18 years, I am fully aware of their take on modifying leased equipment and had/have no intention of doing so. Aside from the legalities, I just felt the hassle and increased cost of internal HDDs was silly compared to externals.

Once again I am sorry if I raised anyone's blood pressure over my poorly crafted response:) I do appreciate your help!

· Registered
24,395 Posts
Yeah, I'd likely simply replace your oldest unit with a genie and put the genie in the man cave. If you and your wife watch almost all the same stuff, I would likely go one step further and put a mini in the second main TV location and get rid of two of the DVRs that way. You still come out ahead in tuners and capabilities, having full access to the to do list and same guide etc at both main TVs that way. And then I'd use at least a 2tb (actually I'd go four on the genie) esata from the start, and slowly watch down the other DVRs one at a time and then change them over to 2tb esatas as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.