DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The carpet cleaners came yesterday while I was gone and my wife unplugged our living room setup. Unfortunately, I hadn't labeled everything, so I'm now having a hard time getting everything set back up properly.

I have an outlet on the wall that has three connectors (previously 2 lines had been run there and 1 from my antenna, prior to my whole home DVR installation.

I have a cable running from one of the connectors to a SWM ODU, and one of the lines out from that to Input 1 on my DVR. That part seems to be working fine, as I can record 2 shows at once and I can view what is on the other DVR upstairs.

Here's my issue. Previously, this DVR also had internet axis through the coaxial which allowed me to do On Demand. Right now, that is not working.

Do you think that one of the other inputs on the plate needs to have a coaxial connected to the DVR to provide this? Would that go into input 2 if that's the case?

My other DVR only has one line running to it and it has internet access, but I also don't see a SWM ODU connected to it either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
We'll need a little more on your setup, such as what receiver models you have, what other components you have (DECAs, Cinema Connection Unit, Power Inserters), and also how your cables are run (e.g. one cable from dish to a 4-way splitter with one cable to DVR1 and one cable to DVR2 and one cable to the CCK, etc.). Once we have that, we will be able to get you going.

In the meantime, the basic setup for someone with a SWM-LNB should be one cable to a splitter. From that splitter, you will basically have one coax going to each DVR. In-line with a DVR or on its own coax should be the Power Inserter (PI) for SWM-LNB. You also need a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) to get your Internet access. Depending on the type of CCK, it will be on its own coax or can be in-line to a receiver.

HTH,
Merg

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is my best description of the setup:

1 line from dish into the basement. It is connected to a 4 way splitter with a label of MSPLT4R1-02.

Basement - 1 line running to an H25 receiver.

Living Room - 1 line running to a 2 way splitter with a label of MSPLIT2R1-03. 1 out line goes to the Power to SWM input of a black box labeled SWM ODU. The other out line goes to input 1 on a HR24 receiver. This is the receiver that isn't getting Internet. I am positive there was another coaxial connection, as there was a leftover cable from when my wife unhooked everything.

Bedroom 1 - 1 line running to input 1 on a HR24 receiver. This box has an Internet connection.

Bedroom 2 - 1 line running to a 2 way splitter with a label of MSPLIT2R1-03. 1 out line goes to a black box labeled DECABB1MR0-01. This is connected to my cable modem/wireless router. No line coming out of the other output of the splitter as there is no tv or box in this room.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Your setup sounds correct. Make sure there is no ethernet connection to the Living Room HR24. Then go to menu -> Setup -> Info and Test -> Network Setup -> Test Connection.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
jaihawk said:
Bedroom 2 - 1 line running to a 2 way splitter with a label of MSPLIT2R1-03. 1 out line goes to a black box labeled DECABB1MR0-01. This is connected to my cable modem/wireless router. No line coming out of the other output of the splitter as there is no tv or box in this room.
If you are only using one output of the 2-way coming into Bedroom 2, why do you even have the splitter? Until you put a receiver in that room, you might just want to remove the splitter (it will help reduce signal loss). At a minimum, make sure that the unused port on the splitter is terminated (iow, not just an open port).

carl6 said:
Your setup sounds correct. Make sure there is no ethernet connection to the Living Room HR24. Then go to menu -> Setup -> Info and Test -> Network Setup -> Test Connection.
To expand on what Carl is saying, make sure that there isn't an ethernet cable attached to the LR HR24. Doing so will disable the internal DECA. If there isn't one, press and hold the Info key for 3 seconds, select More System Info and then page down 2 times. You should see a listing for Network. Does it say Coax Connected next to it? If not, restart your receiver so that the internal DECA is enabled again.

- Merg

·
Legend
227 Posts
I am confused as to why you have a splitter in your front-room connection. All you need at this junction is a coax line from your PI to your receiver and a coax line from the port marked SWM ODU to the line that goes to your basement splitter. That PI is meant to be a pass-through type of connection. (That's how mine is connected and it works great.)

Once you get the connection corrected either unplug your receiver or do a "red button reset". All the D* receivers use DHCP addressing and it needs to reboot to go through the network setup and make a connection with your router. All should be good again.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
"BobStokesbary" said:
I am confused as to why you have a splitter in your front-room connection. All you need at this junction is a coax line from your PI to your receiver and a coax line from the port marked SWM ODU to the line that goes to your basement splitter. That PI is meant to be a pass-through type of connection. (That's how mine is connected and it works great.)

Once you get the connection corrected either unplug your receiver or do a "red button reset". All the D* receivers use DHCP addressing and it needs to reboot to go through the network setup and make a connection with your router. All should be good again.
Instead of pulling the cord or doing a red button reset, perform a menu reset. It is better for the receiver.

You can also go to the Network Setup and just rerun the Network Setup that way too.

- Merg

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got home last night, all of a sudden all of the On Demand channels were there. I guess maybe it takes several hours for everything to adjust itself properly after the receiver has been rebooted.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.