DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Legend
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Customer service said it would be a $5 fee for the 622 and not on the 211 without a phone line. Or more correctly she said that duel tuner receivers have the extra $5 charge. What is the logic behind that?:confused:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
William said:
What is the logic behind that?:confused:
The ViP211 doesn't provide an RF output with an RF remote control that can be easily used to send independent programming to a nearby home or apparment.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
And yet connecting a phone line would not prevent such sharing.

"Because they can."

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
If you had two single tuner receivers you would be paying the $5 fee for that 2nd receiver no matter whether you connect to a phone or not.

To encourage compliance with phone connections... Dish adds the $5 credit incentive for their dual tuner receivers if you connect them to a phone line they will waive the fee.

Personally, if I were Dish... and knowing why they want the phone line connected... I might consider charging a fee on all receivers if no phone line was connected... so we should all be thankful they have not chosen to do that yet!

·
6 Posts
I was told that there is a $5 fee on both recievers a 622 and a 211 if not plugged into a phone line.

It sounds more like it is to prevent people from buying 30 ppv items then just throwing out a reciever and reactivating yet another reciever on the account.

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
The second tuner. You can't prove that you're not running two TVs off of your 622, can you?

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
James Long said:
The second tuner. You can't prove that you're not running two TVs off of your 622, can you?
And even if you use the 622 just to connect to one TV... you still get the use of both tuners (technically 3 counting OTA)... which is the equivalent to if you had two single tuner DVRs.

Not saying I agree with all the fees, incidentally... just that I understand them and don't find them to be as cryptic as some folks do.

·
Legend
115 Posts
It still all makes no sense to me. I mean...Yeah, DirecTV charges the $5 for an extra receiver, but if I only have one receiver and don't have it connected to a phone line, I don't get stuck with an extra $5 for it!

I'm in the process of switching from Direct to Dish, and sure hope this is not hte only thing I was not told about by my CSR! Not that it woudl have changed my mind, but he was SO willing to work with me when I called in and ordered, maybe....(grin)

·
7 Posts
bderouen said:
It still all makes no sense to me. I mean...Yeah, DirecTV charges the $5 for an extra receiver, but if I only have one receiver and don't have it connected to a phone line, I don't get stuck with an extra $5 for it!

I'm in the process of switching from Direct to Dish, and sure hope this is not hte only thing I was not told about by my CSR! Not that it woudl have changed my mind, but he was SO willing to work with me when I called in and ordered, maybe....(grin)
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish, and I was livid when I couldn't get rid of the error on my screen for my 622. I basically was calling to cancel. Spoke to the U.S.-based CSR who 'saved me by sending me a wireless adapter for free.

I use Vonage and because of this, the 622 wasn't close to a phone jack. The CSR was very kind, apologized, and offered $5.00 credit until I got the jack installed. So far, it's working great.

·
Legend
115 Posts
Hi!
Can you give me more info on the adapter they gave you? I also have Vonage and my adapter isn't anywhere near my phone adapter and I do not have Vonage routed through my home wiriing yet. It sounds like you may hold the answer for me there. How did that work for you and what adapter is it you're talking about.

If you'd rather send it as a private message, that's fine too! Thanks so much!!

Bruce

·
7 Posts
bderouen said:
Hi!
Can you give me more info on the adapter they gave you? I also have Vonage and my adapter isn't anywhere near my phone adapter and I do not have Vonage routed through my home wiriing yet. It sounds like you may hold the answer for me there. How did that work for you and what adapter is it you're talking about.

If you'd rather send it as a private message, that's fine too! Thanks so much!!

Bruce
There's picture of it after googling "small town friendly wireless" (do not use quotes) and then click IMAGES on Google. NOTE: I can't paste URLs as I have to have 5+ posts on DBStalk.

Here's what I did:
1) Connected the base part to wall outlet, then ran small phone line to LINE 1 of my Motorola Vonage modem (Line 2 jack is deactivated, not sure why unless it's because I don't subscribe to a second line). I had to put a splitter for both the wireless adapter and for my 4-line phone into LIne 1 jack.

2) Connected the extension part to an extension cord behind the 622, then connected phone line.

3) Configured both the base and the extender so that they would talk to each other - requires taking a ball point pen and pushing/holding buttons on each unit while they're plugged in.

4) Then on my 622, I had to configure a dialing prefix of *99. This may have been due to the fact that I use a low-voice quality for Vonage - YMMV.

I hear that Dish prefers to sell these, but because I had just activated service in 24 hours and didn't have the best install experience, they took care of me and provided it for free. Recommend you investigate your options.

Good luck.

·
Legend
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HDMe said:
And even if you use the 622 just to connect to one TV... you still get the use of both tuners (technically 3 counting OTA)... which is the equivalent to if you had two single tuner DVRs.

Not saying I agree with all the fees, incidentally... just that I understand them and don't find them to be as cryptic as some folks do.
....but what is the relationship between 3 tunes and a phone line? You should either charge everyone the fee of no one. It seems like discrimination to me.:nono2:

·
Legend
115 Posts
huntrm said:
There's picture of it after googling "small town friendly wireless" (do not use quotes) and then click IMAGES on Google. NOTE: I can't paste URLs as I have to have 5+ posts on DBStalk.

Here's what I did:
1) Connected the base part to wall outlet, then ran small phone line to LINE 1 of my Motorola Vonage modem (Line 2 jack is deactivated, not sure why unless it's because I don't subscribe to a second line). I had to put a splitter for both the wireless adapter and for my 4-line phone into LIne 1 jack.

2) Connected the extension part to an extension cord behind the 622, then connected phone line.

3) Configured both the base and the extender so that they would talk to each other - requires taking a ball point pen and pushing/holding buttons on each unit while they're plugged in.

4) Then on my 622, I had to configure a dialing prefix of *99. This may have been due to the fact that I use a low-voice quality for Vonage - YMMV.

I hear that Dish prefers to sell these, but because I had just activated service in 24 hours and didn't have the best install experience, they took care of me and provided it for free. Recommend you investigate your options.

Good luck.
Thanks so much!! I appreciate that! That sounds like it'll be the answer to my problem!!

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
William said:
....but what is the relationship between 3 tunes and a phone line? You should either charge everyone the fee of no one. It seems like discrimination to me.:nono2:
Already explained in another post above... Also, keep in mind they are not charging you extra if you don't connect a phone line. They are giving you a $5 credit if you do connect. They always charge the $5 for the 2nd tuner in the dual-tuner receivers... they just credit you back $5 if you connect a phone line.

There is no $5 credit option available for single tuner receivers.

The real bottom line is that Dish sets up some rules for their service, and people either abide by them or not. Sometimes it costs you extra to disobey the rules, other times you get away with it.

·
Legend
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HDMe said:
Already explained in another post above... Also, keep in mind they are not charging you extra if you don't connect a phone line. They are giving you a $5 credit if you do connect. They always charge the $5 for the 2nd tuner in the dual-tuner receivers... they just credit you back $5 if you connect a phone line.

There is no $5 credit option available for single tuner receivers.

The real bottom line is that Dish sets up some rules for their service, and people either abide by them or not. Sometimes it costs you extra to disobey the rules, other times you get away with it .
Okay I'll try again. Why do they give you a $5 credit for having a phone line? What does hooking a phone line to your 622 receiver accomplish for Dish so that they "give" you $5?

Why do you imply that I'm "disobeying the rules" because I use a cell phone and exactly what rule am I disobeying and "getting away with".?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,453 Posts
bderouen said:
By the letter of the DirecTV customer agreement, you must have every receiver on the account connected to the same land-based phone line to qualify for mirroring (versus having a separate account for each receiver).

What goes on at DirecTV with their multi-tuner receivers doesn't apply as Dish Network's multi-tuner receivers (save the x21 models) are designed to supply programming to multiple televisions with independent control of the remote programming.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.