DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,494 Posts
William said:
Okay I'll try again. Why do they give you a $5 credit for having a phone line? What does hooking a phone line to your 622 receiver accomplish for Dish so that they "give" you $5?

Why do you imply that I'm "disobeying the rules" because I use a cell phone and exactly what rule am I disobeying and "getting away with".?
Is your receiver connected to your cell phone?

Dish's terms of service REQUIRE that ALL receivers be connected to the SAME phone line. Technically speaking, they could disable all unconnected receivers if they felt like it. It's in their terms of service. They have made a business decision not to enforce that rule unless they suspect that the account is being used in a fraudulent manner. (The more unconnected receivers you have, the higher chance that your receivers are being used in a fraudulent manner and the more likely that you will be audited and have receivers disabled should you fail that audit.)

IF E* has not disabled your non-connected receivers consider it a gift. :)
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
James Long said:
Is your receiver connected to your cell phone?

Dish's terms of service REQUIRE that ALL receivers be connected to the SAME phone line. Technically speaking, they could disable all unconnected receivers if they felt like it. It's in their terms of service. They have made a business decision not to enforce that rule unless they suspect that the account is being used in a fraudulent manner. (The more unconnected receivers you have, the higher chance that your receivers are being used in a fraudulent manner and the more likely that you will be audited and have receivers disabled should you fail that audit.)

IF E* has not disabled your non-connected receivers consider it a gift. :)
There is no way to connect to a cell phone that I know of. Dish uses standard phone tones to dial that I believe aren't supported on cell phones. If you know of a way or device please post a link.

Also I'm only getting one receiver for one TV.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,658 Posts
William said:
Okay I'll try again. Why do they give you a $5 credit for having a phone line? What does hooking a phone line to your 622 receiver accomplish for Dish so that they "give" you $5?

Why do you imply that I'm "disobeying the rules" because I use a cell phone and exactly what rule am I disobeying and "getting away with".?
For the record... I was not meaning to imply that you are cheating Dish or doing anything illegal. So I hope it didn't sound that way.

However, as JL iterated, the Dish terms of service do require connection of a phone line to all receivers. So any of us, including you or I, who are otherwise obeying the rules but do not connect a phone are disobeying the rules... so if Dish disables a receiver or charges $5 or whatever, then that is our penalty for agreeing to connect a phone line and then not doing so.

Dish wants phone lines connected for a couple of reasons... One is for PPV. If you order via remote, this is the only way the receiver can connect to tell Dish you watched a PPV movie. If you never watch PPV, then this is not a problem.

The other reason, and really the big one... is because this is the only way Dish has of verifying that the receiver is physically where you told them it would be used. Because of people that abuse the process and obtain multiple receivers and use them at multiple households and "share" the cost... they have to police all of us.

I've never stolen a CD or DVD or a piece of clothing... and yet every CD, DVD, clothes I buy has security protection devices on them to prevent me from stealing them... sometimes the store doesn't deactivate them properly when I purchase, and the alarm goes off and I have to show my receipt to the security guy at the store so he knows I didn't try to steal things.

This is the price the honest folks pay for the dishonest folks who kept abusing the system... so those of us who find the phone line connection an inconvenience should be "thanking" the crooks who forced this bit of security on us.. and not whining to Dish about it.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
HDMe said:
...Dish wants phone lines connected for a couple of reasons... One is for PPV. If you order via remote, this is the only way the receiver can connect to tell Dish you watched a PPV movie. If you never watch PPV, then this is not a problem.

The other reason, and really the big one... is because this is the only way Dish has of verifying that the receiver is physically where you told them it would be used. Because of people that abuse the process and obtain multiple receivers and use them at multiple households and "share" the cost... they have to police all of us...
Also according to Dish you can order PPV on-line or by phone.

So some users who have one receiver will use/sub lease/loan to other locations? You could still do the same using a phone connection by not connecting at the other location(s) and then re-connecting to the phone line when you got it back to your house. So again there is no added protection by requiring a phone line connection for a one receiver setup. Also you could do the same with single tuner receiver that doesn't have the extra fee. Again I'm only talking about a 1 receiver setup. I fully understand the need for a phone connection in a multi-receiver setup.

On a related note Dish should use the Ethernet port (what is it for or do?) to hook into your system to allow PPV and other features Internet based.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,494 Posts
We've been over most of this before. Perhaps if you would spend some of your time here reading?
 

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
Joined
·
9,880 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well I just ordered on-line and it did not ask about a land line phone connection or have a place to enter that info. There was no charge listed at all. I will see what happens. Also it said my locals would be $5.99 but only charged $5.00. So how do I get then to charge me the correct amount for locals without risking the phone line charge?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,658 Posts
There is no risk... if you do not connect the phone line to a Vip622... after a month or two when it has not called in you will start to see the $5 charge automatically on your bill and you will then have to connect a phone line and call Dish to have that charge removed again.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,494 Posts
Since you ordered a DishHD package (required to get a 211 or 622) you can get your locals for only $5.00 (that is the correct price). The $5.99 charge is for people who do not have a base package.

As HDMe noted, the $5 for not connecting a phone line will appear on your bill if your receiver doesn't call in. (Assuming you got the 622 and are not connecting a phone line.) BTW: The receiver must remain connected to a phone line - any gap in calling in and the receiver will display a message and you will start seeing charges on your bill.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
HDMe said:
There is no risk... if you do not connect the phone line to a Vip622... after a month or two when it has not called in you will start to see the $5 charge automatically on your bill and you will then have to connect a phone line and call Dish to have that charge removed again.
Then I guess I will have to e-mail them to death (or me) for a logical answer. I don't care about the money and would spend a $1000 to save $5 on principle.:eek2:

Edit: I just received an e-mail about installation and it contained this. It looks like all I have to do is ask the installer. ;)

Dish said:
...Some receivers must be connected to a phone line. If you do not have access to a phone line ask the technician for another solution to avoid a surcharge....
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
James Long said:
Since you ordered a DishHD package (required to get a 211 or 622)
DishHD isn't required to get a ViP receiver. Applies to new subs and DIU upgrades. You can lease a 622 and subscribe to DishFAMILY (paying the $6) if you want. Doesn't make sense for most people, but a metallic package isn't required to lease a ViP.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
53,494 Posts
DishFamily is still a base package that lowers the price of locals to $5.

William said:
Edit: I just received an e-mail about installation and it contained this. It looks like all I have to do is ask the installer. ;)
Dish said:
...Some receivers must be connected to a phone line. If you do not have access to a phone line ask the technician for another solution to avoid a surcharge....
What they are referring to is easy access to a phone line --- such as a receiver location that doesn't have a phone jack nearby. The "solution" is usually a remote phone extension jack that plugs into wall outlets. You're still on the hook for the $5 if you don't have a phone line connected to a 622.
 
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top