DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
it helps to know your receiver model numbers. also when did you get installed?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,763 Posts
I had an HR 21 restart last night and I just assumed it was updating software. I was watching another DVR at the time so I didn't pay any attention to it. I have 5 DVRs and they do seem to restart at odd times during the day and evening, with the problems they have been having I know they are updating fairly frequently. I haven't had any of those problems at all.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
You're not getting updates that frequently. If your DVRs are rebooting while you're actively watching them (pushing buttons on the remote more than once every other hour) there is something else going on. This may be a guide data issue and may require a service call. Check your satellite setup to make sure it's right.

·
Cool Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the lack of details. I have three receivers...all different models (HR21/200, HR20/700 and a HR23/700) All three of them said they were receiving an update around 7:45pm last night....right during the recording of several shows.

This happened last week, also....around the same time. Needless to say...it cut off the wife's shows...so my nights have been hell!

Is this happening to anyone else. I live in AZ

Thanks!

Dwayne

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
When this happens again, please take a moment to write down exactly the message you're getting on the screen. It might help us explain what's really happening.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
Same area, equivalent models, no updates last night.

But I think you raise an excellent question.

Usually the only time they will force an update in prime time is if they think there is a massive guide data corruption error, and they do this to fix or prevent a rash of problems. If you do not in particular suffer from the imagined problems, you may still suffer a reboot when you don't want it as collateral damage.

But that doesn't seem to be what happened, or I would have got the updates as well, and many others would have too. Still a mystery.

·
Legend
195 Posts
I am having similar issue for Almost a month now. Constant reset in prime time interfering with recording. No message, just a pause the reset starts. Just happen now at 830 central.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"dcarter4" said:
Sorry for the lack of details. I have three receivers...all different models (HR21/200, HR20/700 and a HR23/700) All three of them said they were receiving an update around 7:45pm last night....right during the recording of several shows.

This happened last week, also....around the same time. Needless to say...it cut off the wife's shows...so my nights have been hell!

Is this happening to anyone else. I live in AZ

Thanks!

Dwayne
In your setup/info, what firmware version is listed, and what date & time does it give for when it was installed?

·
Legend
115 Posts
I just had this happen for the first time this evening. I was watching a recording. Around 9:15 p.m. I noticed that my unit had stopped responding to my remote control. As it was playing my program, I didn't worry about it and figured I'd reset it later. Next thing I know (about 10 minutes later) the picture goes out and the device reboots.

·
1*
10,289 Posts
"tonypitt" said:
I just had this happen for the first time this evening. I was watching a recording. Around 9:15 p.m. I noticed that my unit had stopped responding to my remote control. As it was playing my program, I didn't worry about it and figured I'd reset it later. Next thing I know (about 10 minutes later) the picture goes out and the device reboots.
That would not be a software upgrade. There was a problem with the receiver causing it to reboot. It could be a hard drive or even that the receiver was getting too hot.

- Merg

·
1*
10,289 Posts
dpeters11 said:
If it were heat, it should have cone up with an onscreen message you can't dismiss. Agree it wasn't an update though.
My old R15 would just reset on me. Took me a bit to realize that it was the temp being too high. As soon as I moved it to a more ventilated area, the resets stopped.

- Merg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.