DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Forbes:

Why 'Batman,' Not 'Star Wars,' Was The Box Office Blockbuster That Ruined Hollywood
Today is June 23, 2019, making it the 30th anniversary of Tim Burton's Batman. It's no secret that the 1989 blockbuster was my favorite movie growing up and remains among my favorites to this day. Whether the Nolan movies (especially the first two) or Burton's own Batman Returns remains the superior live-action Batman movie, the Michael Keaton/Jack Nicholson gothic action fantasy still holds up as a one-of-a-kind blockbuster spectacular. But it's also the movie that, as I've noted here and there over the years, is responsible for many of the trends that led the theatrical industry to its current impasse. Looking back at its success, I maintain that Batman, not Star Wars (and certainly not Jaws), is the movie most responsible for the current Hollywood blockbuster.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

·
Hall Of Fame
2,008 Posts
Hollywood has been run by accountants for the last thirty years. It’s a much safer investment to take known characters and plots from TV or Print material that is already proven rather than to take a shot in the dark with an unknown story. Just like the stock market their safe bet system can sometimes be blown out of the water by companies willing to take a chance on something new and original. I would use Stranger Things as a good example of that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.