DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean my neighbors can watch Sixers playoff games on Comcast Sports Net, but when I tried to watch the Sixers game 4 vs Boston, on TNT on Dish Network, it was blacked out :(
What's the point of having satellite if you can't even watch anything?
This really sucks. I guess this is the reason that my family's the only family in the neighborhood that has dbs. EVERYONE else has cable.
My neighbors always mention how dbs really sucks because it has bad picture quality because of too much compression, and if I ask them if I can watch the Sixers game with them, then I'll never live it down and they'll really rub it in how I made the wrong decision.
I'm not a happy customer to say the least. Game 5 would have been the most exiting game of the season, and I'm going to miss it :(

·
Fromer Member
1,113 Posts
Too bad. In your case your RSN (Which you can't get on E*) had the rights to show it in your market so E* had to black it out. It's a shame.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
yes it is a shame. Com Cast owns your RSN. They do not appear willing to seel this product to DBS----which explains the low market penetration there.

Do NOT take this the wrong way. But if local sports are important to you cable is your only alternative. In this case I think Comcast is the bad guy but I so understand your frustration.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
IIRC, Comcast owns several Phiadelphia sports teams, including the 76ers. They are utilizing a loophole in the program access laws by delivering the RSN by terrestrial means only. Thus, while the programming is available on several neighboring cablecos, it is being denied to both Dish and DirecTV.

Of course, Charlie is complaining about this during the comment period of the AT&T/Comcast merger, suggesting that the Philadelphia RSN be made available to DBS providers as a condition of the merger.

The net effect? Of the major metropolitan areas, Philadelphia has the LOWEST DBS penetration rate.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Is it on a local channel? If so, just subscribe to Basic or Lifeline cable to get your locals.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by DarrellP
Is it on a local channel? If so, just subscribe to Basic or Lifeline cable to get your locals.
Comcast Sports Net is a basic cable channel, and it would probably cost about $40 a month to get it since you have to get basic cable to get it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its the same with YES in nyc. When espn or other channels show yankees games. they are all blocked.

·
Icon
731 Posts
Originally posted by Z'Loth
IIRC, Comcast owns several Phiadelphia sports teams, including the 76ers. They are utilizing a loophole in the program access laws by delivering the RSN by terrestrial means only. Thus, while the programming is available on several neighboring cablecos, it is being denied to both Dish and DirecTV.

Of course, Charlie is complaining about this during the comment period of the AT&T/Comcast merger, suggesting that the Philadelphia RSN be made available to DBS providers as a condition of the merger.

The net effect? Of the major metropolitan areas, Philadelphia has the LOWEST DBS penetration rate.
I thought of the above while watching the NHL Center Ice preview on Dish earlier this month. One of the games shown was a Flyers game covered by Comcast Sportsnet. If Comcast allows their programming to be distributed by satellite for NHL Center Ice (and I would guess the NBA and MLB packages as well), can't Dish use this as the reason to force CCSN to sell access to their channel?

·
Icon
731 Posts
Originally posted by Curtis0620
Only available out of market. Philadelphia area would be blacked out.
The reason that the FCC and courts will not force CCSN/Philly to be carried on DirecTV or Dish is that CCSN is not delivered by satellite (it is delivered by gound-based systems). Whether or not the games are blacked out in Philly, CCSN is allowing their programming to be distributed by satellite to cable systems, DirecTV, and Dish as part of the NHL / NBA / MLB sports packages - which means to me that DirecTV and Dish should have a shot to carry the channel as well.

(Of course, I'm sure there is a well-paid-for-by-the-cable-lobby exception somewhere in the rules that will ensure that this channel never gets to DirecTV / Dish. Oh well.)

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
Too bad, I really can't say Comcast Sports Net Philadelphia looks bad on the cable, because it looks quite nice.

BTW: Comcast Sports has announced they will be doing Sixers, Flyers and Phillies in High Definition next year, They did not say all games, but did mention away games as well.

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
DISH went to court to force Comcast to distribute their games to satellite providers. they lost. This explains why Philly has one of the lowest satellite penetration rates and probably why Philly got stuck with the Telstar solution for locals.

·
Legend
181 Posts
FCC requires broadcasters to negotiate in good faith (meaning they have to offer their channel), but hasnt been effective in making cable companies (that operate programming that has rights to local professional sports and some cases owns the teams) to negotiate in good faith.

Instead they renewed program access laws(see link here) but made no changes to it. FCC has made many changes over the years such as to broadcasters (their duopoly rules changed, their # stations they can own has changed various times.)

But Comcast can use their loophole stilll. I'd think FCC should look at RSNs and clustering of cable companies closely as many make more revenue than broadcasters. The MSG Network makes more revenue in advertising alone than many over the air stations. FCC has rather harsh laws for broadcasters, but the cable industry is given all sorts of breaks and the cable industry is the one that can do most damage. There needs to be a new set of laws specifically for RSNs with specific detail to cable operater owned RSNs.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last year I had cable and I always watched sixers games and now I have DirecTV and I havn't seen ONE sixers game this whole season. I DON'T KNOW what channel I can watch sixers games on for FREE. DOES ANYONE KNOW?? IM LIKE DYING WITHOUT SIXERS GAMES!!! WHAT CHANNEL?!!!! WHAT CHANNEL ON DIRECTV CAN I WATCH SIXERS GAMES ON FOR FREE????

·
Icon
815 Posts
HELP said:
Last year I had cable and I always watched sixers games and now I have DirecTV and I havn't seen ONE sixers game this whole season. I DON'T KNOW what channel I can watch sixers games on for FREE. DOES ANYONE KNOW?? IM LIKE DYING WITHOUT SIXERS GAMES!!! WHAT CHANNEL?!!!! WHAT CHANNEL ON DIRECTV CAN I WATCH SIXERS GAMES ON FOR FREE????
I can understand why you can't find the sixers game, it appears that you are not very perceptive. This is a Dish Network Forum not a DirecTV Forum. I believe the channel that the sixers are on is exclusive to Comcast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.