DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Legend
Joined
·
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading this forum for a few months now and been biding my time trying to decide if I want to stay with Direct and get a HR20 or if I want to switch to Dish and get a VIP 622. I really have been waiting for something to catch my eye that just sends me over the line one way or the other, but it hasnt happened yet. I read about dish and how they have 30 hd channels of which yes I would watch most of them, but then I read about the customer service probelms and how they treat thier customers.

Then I read about Direct and how they bend over backwards for you, but the hr20 has been having a lot of problems and how they will have the most HD content " at some point in the future". The new sats have already been pushed back from march to may and who knows when they will get active and when D* will sign the contracts with the channels to carry them. Need less to say its less than a one step process.

A lot of what Ive read has people who signed with D* did so because of Sunday Ticket. I like football but most of my teams games are carried on locals and if I miss a game not a big deal (especially the way the bengals last 3 games have played out).

I cannot get OTA HD because I live too far away from the stations and in a valley and though D* carries Columbus in HD i live too far away for anything but the SD signal.

My question is why did the people sign up for a 24 month contract with Direct other than ST? Maybe by knowing the reasoning of others it will help me decide.
Thanks for your input.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,985 Posts
I have been a DirecTv customer for a long time and have overall been extremely satisfied with their service - both as a satellite programming provider and with their customer service.

I do not shy away from a two-year commitment with them because I intend to remain with them for a long time to come.

I initially chose them because of Sunday Ticket, but they have done nothing in the years that I've been with them to make me want to switch.

I am also a DVR addict. TiVos are my first love, so to speak. I did get a deal on the HR20 and went with it. I realize I am an "early adapter" and am not happy with the preformance issues I'm experiencing right now. I am leaning heavier on my other TiVos as back-up for what I may miss on the HR20, but am sticking with it to see if they can get it working properly. Patience is a virtue in my book.

I was sorely disappointed with cable back when I had that so I switch to D*. I had Voom for a while when I got my first HDTV and the HR10-250 was not available yet. Great picture and all, but after the "AHHH" effect wore off, I found that I didn't even watch Voom channels anymore. Not interested in extreme sports or C-movie Monster movies.

If that is what gives E* the HD advantage, that's not enough to sway me. Plus I had read over the years about the horror stories associated with roll-outs of some of the E* equipment (similar to HR20 stories now) and especially the "sorry, we are no longer carrying this channel because we can't agree to terms with them" fiascos. There is no green grass on E*s side of the fence for me (and that is just my personal opinion and is not meant as anything more than that - certainly no offense intended to people who are happy with E*).

I also believe that D* is making investments in their future and over the next year I am hopeful that my patience and loyalty will be rewarded with expanded offerings in HD content.

Sorry, I relize that has gotten quite long. Bottom line for me is that I have been very happy with D* and expect to be for quite some time. Others opinions may vary :)!
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
I have distant CBS & FOX from D*. That means that I also have the HD feed and those are 2 HD networks my local cable co., Time-Warner, can't provide.

Since I frequent satellite boards like this I'm aware of the situation with E* and DNS, so why would I go from a situation where I do have distants to one where I won't? Plus no YES.

Now, I do have an interest in FIOS whenever that becomes available and I'm interested in how the whole IPTV thing will shake out. For right now, I'm where I want to be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Elistan98 said:
I have been reading this forum for a few months now and been biding my time trying to decide if I want to stay with Direct and get a HR20 or if I want to switch to Dish and get a VIP 622. I really have been waiting for something to catch my eye that just sends me over the line one way or the other, but it hasnt happened yet. I read about dish and how they have 30 hd channels of which yes I would watch most of them, but then I read about the customer service probelms and how they treat thier customers.

Then I read about Direct and how they bend over backwards for you, but the hr20 has been having a lot of problems and how they will have the most HD content " at some point in the future". The new sats have already been pushed back from march to may and who knows when they will get active and when D* will sign the contracts with the channels to carry them. Need less to say its less than a one step process.

A lot of what Ive read has people who signed with D* did so because of Sunday Ticket. I like football but most of my teams games are carried on locals and if I miss a game not a big deal (especially the way the bengals last 3 games have played out).

I cannot get OTA HD because I live too far away from the stations and in a valley and though D* carries Columbus in HD i live too far away for anything but the SD signal.

My question is why did the people sign up for a 24 month contract with Direct other than ST? Maybe by knowing the reasoning of others it will help me decide.
Thanks for your input.
Hopefully by the end of next year DirecTV will make up to 150 national HD channels available, on top of many more local market in HD. On top of that they may be implementing indemand for free movies like Comcast. Most of the problems should be corrected with the new HR20 once the software has been perfected. On top of that many members who have had problems are getting multiple discounts monthly for the troubles they have had. I'm getting $40.00 in credits for 12 months, and free HD package for a year, and free Starz/Showtime for three months. Also getting service plan free for 3 months.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
864 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Hopefully by the end of next year DirecTV will make up to 150 national HD channels available, on top of many more local market in HD. On top of that they may be implementing indemand for free movies like Comcast. Most of the problems should be corrected with the new HR20 once the software has been perfected. On top of that many members who have had problems are getting multiple discounts monthly for the troubles they have had. I'm getting $40.00 in credits for 12 months, and free HD package for a year, and free Starz/Showtime for three months. Also getting service plan free for 3 months.
This is actually a tall story at the present time. If anyone can list the 150 HD channels out there, I would like to see this list shown here. If there were 150 HD channels available they would be up and running on some system in this country.
All the providers like to say this is coming or that is going to happen. But at the present time it DOES NOT EXIST anywhere. The most HD available at the present time is on DISH NETWORK, period.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
I've been with DTV for over 10 years now, long before they ever offered the NFL ST. I had been with Comcast in two different counties in MD prior to getting DTV. Dumping Comcast was the best thing I ever did and I never plan on going back with them. The quality of DTV's signals has clearly diminished since I originally subscribed with them, mostly because they're trying to satisfy the demand for new channels using the same bandwidth, resulting in overcompressed signals with noticeably inferior picture quality.

I would agree that overall their customer service is good. The one major failing is that the CSRs are never kept up to date on what's happening with their own company. DTV customers that frequent forums such as this are much more knowledgeable than the CSRs could ever hope to be.

I switched to HDTV over a year ago and I've become very disappointed with the HD offerings from DTV. I realize it takes them time to upgrade their infrastructure but they really need to get off their collective a$$es and get things moving.

Verizon is installing FIOS in my area and I've been told it will be activated sometime in the very near future. I'm currently entrenched in the 2nd year of a 2-year commitment with DTV but I plan on making a break for FIOS when it becomes available. I can't wait to sever my last ties with Comcast and ditch my cable modem for FIOS. I like DTV but when they stopped making DTivos I started to become very disgruntled with them.

The HR20 sounds like a decent DVR but right now I get more OTA channels in HD using my HDTivos than I could ever get in mpeg4. If DTV gets the new mpeg4 sats online and signs on more HD channels then I might reconsider, but I figure I'll give FIOS a shot first since they don't require any commitment. When DTV started holding a gun to their customers' heads and demanding a commitment to their service, it was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. If they were still offering a quality product as they once did then I wouldn't have a problem with a commitment. The lack of decent HD programming and diminished picture quality on their standard def channels just doesn't justify such a requirement. The worst part is thsat now that I have a HDTV set, viewing standard def DTV channels has become almost unbearable.

I also get most of my local NFL team's games via OTA. Frankly, I've been quite satisfied with Cincinnati's performance lately seeing as how I'm a Ravens fan.:D OTOH, I was very disappointed to see Carsen Palmer get hurt in the playoffs last year. I was really hoping to see them in the Super Bowl instead of the Stealers. I really felt they had a shot if he had stayed healthy. I was also a Boomer Esiason fan since he was a QB at Maryland.

FYI - I have never even considered Dish as a content provider. Their DVRs are crap, or at least the ones I've used personally weren't worth the time to program them. The newer models may have improved but I'm still leary of them. I've just never liked Charlie and don't care to do business with him or his company.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
Dave said:
This is actually a tall story at the present time. If anyone can list the 150 HD channels out there, I would like to see this list shown here. If there were 150 HD channels available they would be up and running on some system in this country.
All the providers like to say this is coming or that is going to happen. But at the present time it DOES NOT EXIST anywhere. The most HD available at the present time is on DISH NETWORK, period.
What I said was that DirecTV will have the capacity to provide UP TO 150 National HD. Not that they will have that many at that time.;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
captain_video said:
I've been with DTV for over 10 years now, long before they ever offered the NFL ST. I had been with Comcast in two different counties in MD prior to getting DTV. Dumping Comcast was the best thing I ever did and I never plan on going back with them. The quality of DTV's signals has clearly diminished since I originally subscribed with them, mostly because they're trying to satisfy the demand for new channels using the same bandwidth, resulting in overcompressed signals with noticeably inferior picture quality.

I would agree that overall their customer service is good. The one major failing is that the CSRs are never kept up to date on what's happening with their own company. DTV customers that frequent forums such as this are much more knowledgeable than the CSRs could ever hope to be.

I switched to HDTV over a year ago and I've become very disappointed with the HD offerings from DTV. I realize it takes them time to upgrade their infrastructure but they really need to get off their collective a$$es and get things moving.

Verizon is installing FIOS in my area and I've been told it will be activated sometime in the very near future. I'm currently entrenched in the 2nd year of a 2-year commitment with DTV but I plan on making a break for FIOS when it becomes available. I can't wait to sever my last ties with Comcast and ditch my cable modem for FIOS. I like DTV but when they stopped making DTivos I started to become very disgruntled with them.

The HR20 sounds like a decent DVR but right now I get more OTA channels in HD using my HDTivos than I could ever get in mpeg4. If DTV gets the new mpeg4 sats online and signs on more HD channels then I might reconsider, but I figure I'll give FIOS a shot first since they don't require any commitment. When DTV started holding a gun to their customers' heads and demanding a commitment to their service, it was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. If they were still offering a quality product as they once did then I wouldn't have a problem with a commitment. The lack of decent HD programming and diminished picture quality on their standard def channels just doesn't justify such a requirement. The worst part is thsat now that I have a HDTV set, viewing standard def DTV channels has become almost unbearable.

I also get most of my local NFL team's games via OTA. Frankly, I've been quite satisfied with Cincinnati's performance lately seeing as how I'm a Ravens fan.:D OTOH, I was very disappointed to see Carsen Palmer get hurt in the playoffs last year. I was really hoping to see them in the Super Bowl instead of the Stealers. I really felt they had a shot if he had stayed healthy. I was also a Boomer Esiason fan since he was a QB at Maryland.

FYI - I have never even considered Dish as a content provider. Their DVRs are crap, or at least the ones I've used personally weren't worth the time to program them. The newer models may have improved but I'm still leary of them. I've just never liked Charlie and don't care to do business with him or his company.
If Fios becomes available in my city, then I will make the switch. I don't think I need to wait very long because already 22 towns and cities in Massachusetts have it.:)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
I'm still here cuz I need NFL ST and cuz I've got a butt load of DTivo units that work just fine. Soon as I need to drop those then it's down to just ST.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
90 Posts
Because I haad been with them forever with zero probleams and thought nothing of it, on one or two occasions when I had minor problems sometimes they had asked me for a six month or ayear commitment to get a free service call, sometimes no, and so I did not even blink an eyelash, and them BOOM, theis thing is a POS and their new Ka/Ku is a POS and their service tunrs into a POS and I find a board laughably full of obviously sent out by DTV employees to provide info. but also berate people who point out it is a POS and complain about their bait and switch on the commitment and their POS box??? Some brilliant minds at work at DTV. Hope they fix this POS soon and get it working to include OTA or they will no longer be the leader that they clearly absolutely always were, and believe me they were by far and away.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
captain_video said:
I've been with DTV for over 10 years now, long before they ever offered the NFL ST. I had been with Comcast in two different counties in MD prior to getting DTV. Dumping Comcast was the best thing I ever did and I never plan on going back with them. The quality of DTV's signals has clearly diminished since I originally subscribed with them, mostly because they're trying to satisfy the demand for new channels using the same bandwidth, resulting in overcompressed signals with noticeably inferior picture quality.

I would agree that overall their customer service is good. The one major failing is that the CSRs are never kept up to date on what's happening with their own company. DTV customers that frequent forums such as this are much more knowledgeable than the CSRs could ever hope to be.

I switched to HDTV over a year ago and I've become very disappointed with the HD offerings from DTV. I realize it takes them time to upgrade their infrastructure but they really need to get off their collective a$$es and get things moving.

Verizon is installing FIOS in my area and I've been told it will be activated sometime in the very near future. I'm currently entrenched in the 2nd year of a 2-year commitment with DTV but I plan on making a break for FIOS when it becomes available. I can't wait to sever my last ties with Comcast and ditch my cable modem for FIOS. I like DTV but when they stopped making DTivos I started to become very disgruntled with them.

The HR20 sounds like a decent DVR but right now I get more OTA channels in HD using my HDTivos than I could ever get in mpeg4. If DTV gets the new mpeg4 sats online and signs on more HD channels then I might reconsider, but I figure I'll give FIOS a shot first since they don't require any commitment. When DTV started holding a gun to their customers' heads and demanding a commitment to their service, it was the last straw as far as I'm concerned. If they were still offering a quality product as they once did then I wouldn't have a problem with a commitment. The lack of decent HD programming and diminished picture quality on their standard def channels just doesn't justify such a requirement. The worst part is thsat now that I have a HDTV set, viewing standard def DTV channels has become almost unbearable.

I also get most of my local NFL team's games via OTA. Frankly, I've been quite satisfied with Cincinnati's performance lately seeing as how I'm a Ravens fan.:D OTOH, I was very disappointed to see Carsen Palmer get hurt in the playoffs last year. I was really hoping to see them in the Super Bowl instead of the Stealers. I really felt they had a shot if he had stayed healthy. I was also a Boomer Esiason fan since he was a QB at Maryland.

FYI - I have never even considered Dish as a content provider. Their DVRs are crap, or at least the ones I've used personally weren't worth the time to program them. The newer models may have improved but I'm still leary of them. I've just never liked Charlie and don't care to do business with him or his company.
They have had NFL ST for 12 years..lol Since they started.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
JLucPicard said:
I have been a DirecTv customer for a long time and have overall been extremely satisfied with their service - both as a satellite programming provider and with their customer service.

I do not shy away from a two-year commitment with them because I intend to remain with them for a long time to come.

I initially chose them because of Sunday Ticket, but they have done nothing in the years that I've been with them to make me want to switch.

I am also a DVR addict. TiVos are my first love, so to speak. I did get a deal on the HR20 and went with it. I realize I am an "early adapter" and am not happy with the preformance issues I'm experiencing right now. I am leaning heavier on my other TiVos as back-up for what I may miss on the HR20, but am sticking with it to see if they can get it working properly. Patience is a virtue in my book.

I was sorely disappointed with cable back when I had that so I switch to D*. I had Voom for a while when I got my first HDTV and the HR10-250 was not available yet. Great picture and all, but after the "AHHH" effect wore off, I found that I didn't even watch Voom channels anymore. Not interested in extreme sports or C-movie Monster movies.

If that is what gives E* the HD advantage, that's not enough to sway me. Plus I had read over the years about the horror stories associated with roll-outs of some of the E* equipment (similar to HR20 stories now) and especially the "sorry, we are no longer carrying this channel because we can't agree to terms with them" fiascos. There is no green grass on E*s side of the fence for me (and that is just my personal opinion and is not meant as anything more than that - certainly no offense intended to people who are happy with E*).

I also believe that D* is making investments in their future and over the next year I am hopeful that my patience and loyalty will be rewarded with expanded offerings in HD content.

Sorry, I relize that has gotten quite long. Bottom line for me is that I have been very happy with D* and expect to be for quite some time. Others opinions may vary :)!
Agree 100% and the HR20 is awesome.:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,884 Posts
geaux1 said:
... and I find a board laughably full of obviously sent out by DTV employees to provide info...
Most of the people on this board who make positive comments are not DirecTV employees. Typically, when a DirecTV CSR does show up on these forums, they are easily identified by what they don't know as opposed to what they do know. There are some who are very knowledgeable and provide excellent information - this isn't meant as a shot against DirecTV emplyees that participate here.

However, there are many, like myself, who (a) have a lot of knowledge and enjoy helping others sort out problems, (b) try to be objective or neutral in our assessment of equipment, problems, and issues, and (c) Do not, never have, and never will work for DirecTV or anyone associated with them.

I have two R15's, one R10, and one D11. With rare exception over the past full year, all have worked very well. One of my R15's does go screwy every once in awhile, and I have had to do a reformat on it two or three times now which I agree is very frustrating, and unacceptable. I hate to loose a number of shows and movies I have recorded but not yet watched. I do believe the R15 was released prematurely, and I also believe DirecTV is having a very hard time sorting out all the bugs and issues.

On the other hand, I really do like the R15. I much prefer the user interface over that of the R10/Tivo. The guide is much easier to use and much faster. The picture in guide is great. The one touch recording in the guide is great. There are many great features about the R15 that, in my mind, set it apart from the Tivo. Just because I say that does not make me a DirecTV employee or a shill for them any more than someone else saying "Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread" makes that person a Tivo employee. We all have our likes, dislikes, preferences, etc., and each of us has as much right as the other to express them without being accused of being "a DirecTV employee being sent out to provide info".

Carl
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
540 Posts
I have been with D* for just 3 years. I switched from E* because they were unable to provide a working two tuner DVR at an acceptable price and because of them delivering only a few of the locals from the main slots. When I called to cancel, E* just said "Goodbye, and remember if you come back we will charge $25 to reconnect you". Guess I won't go back then if that's the way you care for your customers.
I have been happy with D* till now and when I look into the future I do not see much of an alternative. If Comcast will ever run the mile of cable needed to reach our area, they seem not to have enough bandwidth for HDTV. They now broadcast selected sport event from FOX in HD but to do it they turn off INHD. Sounds familiar? At least D* has plan to significantly expand their bandwidth in a very near future.
About the problems with their new DVR, I think they have pockets deep enough to be able to pay to have them fixed, in a way or another, and very soon. I am not in a hurry. There is so little HD content of interest out there that I can wait for a while.
 

·
Icon
Joined
·
808 Posts
They have had NFL ST for 12 years..lol Since they started.
Really? I had no idea it had been around for that long. I guess that was in between NFL franchises for Baltimore so I didn't pay it much heed at the time (but let's not go down that road again;) ). I signed up with DTV because I was sick of the poor service and lousy picture quality offered by Comcast at the time. DTV proved to be far superior once I made trhe switch.

BTW, if you're only commenting on a specific statement made in a previous post, which I assumed to be the case since you highlighted said passage, it's really only necessary to quote that passage rather than the entire post. It just makes for less clutter in the thread and does a better job of getting your point across. Just an observation.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
393 Posts
i first subscribed to D* back around 1996. from november 2003 to april 2004 i dropped D* and tried E* because it was cheaper and i got more movie channels for the money as well as superstations. when the leaves come out in spring it blocks the 119 sat and E* was of no use to me. if it wasnt for the trees, id choose E* for their encore theme channels and the movie channel in their AT180. sports was never an deciding factor. the cable company here is horrible, they charge $42 per month for 30 channels. I love the D tivo, its GREAT! i also have the r15 ... its not so great :-(

i think D* has *better than average* customer support. ive never had an issue they didnt bend over backwards trying to make right.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,199 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top