DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two cents on why DISH Network / Echostar is heading "down the tubes".

The most recent example is the asinine marketing survey I received today.
Here is the survey:

To start we would like to know how you feel about DISH Network's Digital Video Recorder (DVR). Please read the questions below and select the answer that best fits your opinion.

Which do you love more?
My dog
My DVR

Which do you love more?
My DVR
A good night's sleep

Which do you love more?
Chocolate
My DVR

Which do you use more?
My DVR
My oven

Which do you use more?
My DVR
My Shower

Which do you use more?
My alarm clock
My DVR

If you were forced to choose between the two items below you would choose:
My friends
My DVR

My MP3 player
My DVR

My DVR
My vacation

And my email reply to [email protected]:

This is the stupidest survey I have ever seen. How can you expect to gain any useful attributes for future marketing from this? Are you going to try to convince people to love their DVR more than their dog, or friends? Are you going to try to convince them that using a DVR is more important than a shower or cooking?

These comparisons are apples and oranges and would not give you anything useful for future marketing campaigns that cultivate the customer relationship or increase the lifetime value of your customers. You should fire your marketing person, and hire someone that will build your customer relationships with products and services that increase the customer lifetime value.

What if I don't have a dog?
What if I hate DISH Customer Service? (an oxymoron in itself)
What if I hate DISH satellite quality?
What if I have DISH because my only other option is Direct TV, or Over the Air Television?
In your never-ending competition with cable TV, how will you retain customers after Cable TV is made available in their area?
How will you rise above your competition to become the best Satellite TV company in the U.S.? Then, how will you become the best source for TV in the U.S., even better than Cable TV?

Just my two cents.

Sincerely,

Roozter

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
hehe, some 1st post.... :D

Don't think DISH will be out of business in 5 years though.. unless they merge with somebody of course (but that still would not mean that they are completely out of business.. even if they would not have a Total control) ;)

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darkman said:
hehe, some 1st post.... :D

Don't think DISH will be out of business in 5 years though.. unless they merge with somebody of course (but that still would not mean that they are completely out of business.. even if they would not have a Total control) ;)
True. I should amend my post. DISH will be acquired and dissolved, or merged, or out of business in 5 years.
This is assuming they do nothing about the current major disconnect between the company and their customers.

Thanks for the compliment on my first post!

I have used this forum for info over the last year, and decided I had to join and express my feelings this morning.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Roozter said:
True. I should amend my post. DISH will be acquired and dissolved, or merged, or out of business in 5 years.
This is assuming they do nothing about the current major disconnect between the company and their customers.
I don't think so though..

Pretty sure DISH will still be around in one way or another...

Come back in 5 years and we'll see :D

(You also welcome to stay meanwhile as well of course) ;)

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Darkman said:

Thanks for the invite.
However, since I want more programming than provided by OTR channels, my only other choice would be DirectTV.
Then due to my contract (with DISH) I have no choice until, at least Feb, 2007. Finally and sadly, I don't think DirectTV is much better.

I view the Satellite companies in the same way as 'ol Ma Bell. An oligopoly on their particular service. They see no need or have any desire to be world class in their industry. They choose to be below average so they can maximize profits and don't really care about anything else because they are the only two companies providing this service.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Blount said:
I doubt if that's a real survey from DISH. Who did you receive that from?
I know, I was thinking this has to be a joke!
However, I received it from [email protected]
The email has all the standard DISH branded logos, colors, and includes a link to the survey.

I did not complete the survey just in case it is not legit, but it sure looks legit on first inspection.

I can forward the email, or even post screen shots of it. (but I will remove the link from general public view because I don't want someone else completing it for me).

-Roozter

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
I could be wrong now..

But they possibly were mentioning something like this survey on one of the Retailer Chats.. (during their talk about advertising etc)

Again... i could be wrong though.. can't remember for sure now..

But in any case.. one should just take this with sense of humor.. (cuz it's more like a Joke anyhow.. one can see it) .. or simply just discard it ..and don't pay any attention to it.. (simply treat it like some unwanted flyer that got delivered in your mailbox) :)

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darkman said:
I could be wrong now..

But they possibly were mentioning something like this survey on one of the Retailer Chats.. (during their talk about advertising etc)

Again... i could be wrong though.. can't remember for sure now..

But in any case.. one should just take this with sense of humor.. (cuz it's more like a Joke anyhow.. one can see it) .. or simply just discard it ..and don't pay any attention to it.. (simply treat it like some unwanted flyer that got delivered in your mailbox) :)
True, I caught the joke tone. And I have seen other companies try to do similar things. However, it usually works better to be light-hearted, and funny when things are going really well, and you have hundreds of thousands of die-hard fans that want to laugh with you (for example, TiVo, Ipod, BMW customers).

It didn't come across so well to me when I am extremely dis-pleased with customer service reps in India that can't help, service appts that don't fix problems, or are cancelled altogether, and top of the line technology (ViP622) that has picture and audio stutters and cutouts.

Forgive me if I don't let out a jolly giggle, or laugh at this attempt to be funny and "DVR crazy" with DISH.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Legit or not, all one has to do is 'read' the survey to get the point. It is not so
subtly suggested that we elevate (and equate) the DVR to a level of importance
on par with other objects of significance in our lives.

Many of us already have.

Welcome to the fray! :)

·
Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Roozter said:
True, I caught the joke tone. And I have seen other companies try to do similar things. However, it usually works better to be light-hearted, and funny when things are going really well, and you have hundreds of thousands of die-hard fans that want to laugh with you (for example, TiVo, Ipod, BMW customers).

It didn't come across so well to me when I am extremely dis-pleased with customer service reps in India that can't help, service appts that don't fix problems, or are cancelled altogether, and top of the line technology (ViP622) that has picture and audio stutters and cutouts.

Forgive me if I don't let out a jolly giggle, or laugh at this attempt to be funny and "DVR crazy" with DISH.
Hehe..

Got ya :)

Nice reply actually... :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
Believe it or not this is a real survey. I got it as well and immediately thought it was a hoax, spam, or phishing e-mail. I contacted DISH Network about it and they confirmed it was from them. Very very strange survey.

·
Legend
202 Posts
Darkman said:

Two years ago, it looked like DirecTV would be the one to go out. Now it looks the other way. It's called the business cycle. They're the only two competitors (to speak of) in the US DBS market. They each have their pros and cons - DISH has better HD programming and marginally better recievers IMHO. DirecTV has better customer relations and seems to be a better corporate citizen at the moment.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,422 Posts
akron05 said:
Two years ago, it looked like DirecTV would be the one to go out.
Clearly, DirecTV is focusing much of their attention on allowing News Corp to unload their controlling interest. To that end, it appears that they will say and do anything to keep the stock value up.

Rumors continue about a Dish Network buyout of DirecTV but seldom the other way. DirecTV is certainly positioning themselves to be competitive once the new satellites are handed off, but a case could be made that they aren't at the moment.

I think that until something new comes along with more than a small percentage of market penetration, there will be room for DBS broadcasters in the mix. The BUD market has long had a thready heartbeat and the terrestrial carriers aren't going to be running hundreds of miles of fiber into Wyoming any time soon.

·
Icon
522 Posts
Ahhhh.

I have a more scientific approach than "what I think, will come true." I used it just as I was finishing reading your predection--I looked at the tea leaves in my cupa (yes I actually use tea leaves in the cup). With out a doubt, Dish lives past 2012!

Bob

Whew! that was a close one! What would we do without Dish in 2011?!

·
Legend
106 Posts
That is really scary coming from such a large company as Dish Network? But then again, look at the way they've been treating their customers.........maybe think we'd rather be out playing with our Dog ? :sure:

·
Banned
11,498 Posts
Even though this is obviously BS, I have to say the DVR wins hands down for me.

Which do you love more?
My dog
My DVR

My DVR, I don't have a dog

Which do you love more?
My DVR
A good night's sleep

My DVR, I function with about 4 hours a sleep a night

Which do you love more?
Chocolate
My DVR

My DVR, I'd rather have pizza and wings over Chocolate

Which do you use more?
My DVR
My oven

My DVR, I can't cook and eat out a lot

Which do you use more?
My DVR
My Shower

My DVR, I take a shower every morning, I'm in for about 15 minutes, that’s 105 minutes a week compared to about 760 minutes of programming I record on my DVR every week

Which do you use more?
My alarm clock
My DVR

My DVR, I use my alarm clock 413 minutes a week, again 760 minutes of DVRed programming

My friends
My DVR

My DVR, friends turn on you, you always have good TV. (I'm anti social)

My MP3 player
My DVR

Tough call but probably My DVR, since my DVR does have a cable tuner, I can listen to the Music Choice channels

My DVR
My vacation

My DVR, vacations are okay, but they eventually end, good TV doesn't

·
Banned
61 Posts
i kinda agree, i think you won't see the dish logo anymore, like you
don't see the tivo logo on the D or E recorder's, but in general
all 3 do the same thing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status