DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Godfather
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a noob query, but why the heck would i want OTA function on my dish when i can just get them all through the normal programming??

I mean, i get all my local channels through Directv, why do i need to worry about getting OTA, i can't imagine they are better quality, i just picture me trying to rabbit ear in HD, damn, i can't even get normal tv in with rabbit ears!:hurah:

·
Legend
129 Posts
Browse the board.
There are plenty upon plenty of topics pertaining this exact question.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
teebeebee1 said:
Sorry if this is a noob query, but why the heck would i want OTA function on my dish when i can just get them all through the normal programming??

I mean, i get all my local channels through Directv, why do i need to worry about getting OTA, i can't imagine they are better quality, i just picture me trying to rabbit ear in HD, damn, i can't even get normal tv in with rabbit ears!:hurah:
Most people report at least a slightly better PQ via OTA channels, and some people see a bigger difference - so that's one reasons.

The indoor antenna solution is iffy, at least it is here. I don't have another yet, and not sure myself if it's worth the effort. But they can pull in the digital channel clear as day while the analog channels are all snow.

Also, depending on where you are, there may be channels you can pick up that aren't delivered via the sat.

·
Legend
162 Posts
The chances are if you are able to get the OTA signal, you will be very happy with the increased number of channels available to you. The most DTV HD locals you can get at this point is 4, unless there are some PBS locals transmitted now, but as far as I know, there are not. Also, there are an awfull lot of people that are not even able to get the HD Lil's yet, since we are not in one of the supplied markets as of yet. As far as PQ, OTA is most likely the better format, and as such would be desired, and very little chance of rain fade to boot. So, basically, OTA=GOOD
Kevin

·
AllStar
51 Posts
I know the reasons we are all excited about OTA (which I am, can't wait for the update to hit my house) but isn't it funny that all of us with satellite are pshyched for the ability to use our over the air antennas (rebirth of the bunny ears!).

I think it's pretty funny. Oh well I'll go back to my cave and wait for 0x104. :)

·
Legend
148 Posts
dogface - it is absolutely hysterical
As a D* customer for nearly 10 years and as a TV Director at a PBS station that has been broadcasting digitally for almost 4 years it was a great feeling to climb on my roof two months ago when i first got this box.

The future of TV is really up in the air, pun sot of intended, and the idea that people can use a simple antenna again is fascinating. One it is free (minus the antenna) and two the quality is superior. How many things can say that anymore?

The government required the stations to broadcast digitally which caused alot of concern over the cost but also over the theory of content delivery since in most areas 85% of viewers actually get the programming from a source that didn't involve these million $ transmitters we were putting up.

I think D* is in an interesting position that at the same time they are expanding all of this local content carriage they are also producing this box which makes it sort of moot. It would be an interesting marketing campaign to say buy our services and box and you get your local stations for free. How would cable answer?
Presumanbly to make a similar box. Then maybe both cable and sat stop carrying local and expand other services in their given capacity. That part is probably impossible as the single into home/apartment cable has become ingrained but it sure is interesting to see people talking about antennas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.