DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· AllStar
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to order Dish the other day (online), had it all set up-installation time and all, when at the very end they hit me with almost $400 in one time fees for an HD DVR and a regular HD...What the hell is this? I thought they gave atleast ONE free receiver to new customers? Needless to say I went with D* (which wasn't my first choice, didn't even want it) and got charged $0 upfront.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
A quickie config at the Dish website shows no charge for an HDDVR+HD receiver.

Where did you see that charge?

· AllStar
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same thing happened to me. It showed no charge, until the VERY END, like right before you have to confirm the install, etc. It added it to the 1st monthly total on the right hand side. Also which I thought was odd was the package was supposed to be $39.99 (AT 250), which they didn't add into the math, I know it's a "rebate" but it left us (Wife and I sat down together to order) confused and wondering why it was $49.99. Atleast D* added it into there math, with a * that said "With instant rebate" or something to that effect.

I found the Dish ordering process (online atleast) very confusing and frustrating, leaving me with alot of questions and pondering. I like the new website, but I think it's confusing to navigate, and actually doesn't say anything about free receivers.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Did you choose a 2 year commitment OR no commitment? IF you chose no commitment, then you have to pay the installation fee up front.

Did you choose a fancier HD DVR like a 922? There may still be a charge to get that HD receiver instead of a default one.

How is your credit? If you have a low credit rating, Dish might not waive some of the fees they normally waive for new customers.

Without more detail on your specific experience, it is hard for anyone to guess why you were seeing more up front charges.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
You can't order a 922 online at the moment and based on other info, I doubt you'll be able to order them at all going forward.

· Godfather
363 Posts
Stewart Vernon said:
How is your credit? If you have a low credit rating, Dish might not waive some of the fees they normally waive for new customers.
This is my guess. People with poor credit ratings are not eligible for DHA contracts and are put on Flex 24 contracts which require you to pay the full receiver fee for HD equipment upfront. SD equipment is still free.

· AllStar
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It didn't mention anything about bad credit. Like, "Because of poor credit, you will have to pay receiver fees". It just put the fees in afterwards. Kinda disappointed, Dish had ALL of my favorite channels in HD. (Happy with D* though)

· Godfather/Supporter
2,029 Posts
F1aReD said:
It didn't mention anything about bad credit. Like, "Because of poor credit, you will have to pay receiver fees". It just put the fees in afterwards. Kinda disappointed, Dish had ALL of my favorite channels in HD. (Happy with D* though)
No it won't say that. If you're happy with Direct you're all set!

· Icon
678 Posts
Poor credit would have been the most obvious answer to this.
If it werent for the fact that he was able to get D* so easily, most people who can only get flex24 usually dont pass D*'s credit check =/

· Icon
1,018 Posts
If this was done online, and you encountered upfront fees, a call to Dish or the support chat would probably have determined what the issue was and whether it could have been resolved instead of merely seeing what Direct would do. Specially if there were channels that you feel your missing, now you more than likely have a multi-year commitment to Direct..

It was your choice, but a "little" more checking on your part might have resolved the issue. Online ordering is not the only way.

· AllStar
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If this was done online, and you encountered upfront fees, a call to Dish or the support chat would probably have determined what the issue was and whether it could have been resolved instead of merely seeing what Direct would do. Specially if there were channels that you feel your missing, now you more than likely have a multi-year commitment to Direct..

It was your choice, but a "little" more checking on your part might have resolved the issue. Online ordering is not the only way.
Yeah you're probably right, but, it's to late to go back now.

· Banned
3 Posts
It was because of bad credit most likely they charged me and still will if I want any new receiver 400 or more. Evidently if you have 600-710 you still get horrible credit with them. Meaning most likely you need great credit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.