DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why when I set up a series link for Conan O'Brien at 12:37am as first run only, it records the 12:37am show AND the 3:04am repeat.

I've completely removed the series link and reprogramed it for the FIRST RUN 12:37am show and it still records both shows. How can I stop it from recording both shows aside from what I've been doing, which is manually remove the 3:04am show every day.

This is as much work as programming my local football team to record every week. I have to program that in every week manually so I don't get the other 30 shows with my team's name in the title.

Automation at it's finiest. :mad:

·
Legend
219 Posts
My understanding is that sometimes the program guide does not list a show as a first run. If it doesnt then the dvr will record all instances of it to make sure you dont miss anything.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
it is because the networks don't provide enough data for the 1st and 2nd airings. They don't mark the 2nd one as a repeate, they probably just did a cut and paste.

It happens every night for my local news as well. (Even on the TiVo system).

Do you also watch it pretty quickly? If you watch it and delete it before the 2nd airing, the unit's "don't re-record what is on the hard drive" doesn't kick in. but that only works if there is enough guide data there to identify it as the same episode.

·
Legend
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
it is because the networks don't provide enough data for the 1st and 2nd airings. They don't mark the 2nd one as a repeate, they probably just did a cut and paste.

It happens every night for my local news as well. (Even on the TiVo system).

Do you also watch it pretty quickly? If you watch it and delete it before the 2nd airing, the unit's "don't re-record what is on the hard drive" doesn't kick in. but that only works if there is enough guide data there to identify it as the same episode.
That's odd. My SA Tivo never did that. I would think it should record by name and time slot, not just name.

I don't watch quickly and that's part of the problem. I want it to hold a max of 5 recordings. So I had to bump it to 10 in case I don't get in there to manually remove the second recordings everyday. :( The second recording is not the same show as the first recording anyway. It's some taping from a week ago or older usually.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
DJConan said:
That's odd. My SA Tivo never did that. I would think it should record by name and time slot, not just name.

I don't watch quickly and that's part of the problem. I want it to hold a max of 5 recordings. So I had to bump it to 10 in case I don't get in there to manually remove the second recordings everyday. :( The second recording is not the same show as the first recording anyway. It's some taping from a week ago or older usually.
Ahh... so that is why the logic to not record something that is already on the drive, isn't kicking in.

The HR20 is simpy not identifying it as a repeat recording.

The only thing I could suggest to get around it, is setup two 1 minute recordings on two different channels, with a higher priority then conan.

·
Legend
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oddly enough, after I posted about this happening, it's no longer doing it. I didn't change anything, but I'm not complaining. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.