DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have native off, but yet you really can not channel surf, as it takes 4 or 5 seconds to move from channel to channel. With the HR10-250 i do not recall the problem being this bad

:confused:

thanks

· Legend
212 Posts
Oh that is because this box is just light years ahead of the 10-250 and has so much potential that someday it could be great. So just sit back, wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and wait, and enjoy.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
No... part of it is the changing of transponders on the two newer SATs... And the initilizing of the decoding and the buffers.

Plus the MPEG-4 decoding isn't comparable, but does seem about on par with what was experienced with the H20

None of the DVRs (TiVo powered or DVR+) line, have been "acceptable" for channel surfing... Even in comparison to some of the oldest of non-DVR receivers.

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
No... part of it is the changing of transponders on the two newer SATs... And the initilizing of the decoding and the buffers.

Plus the MPEG-4 decoding isn't comparable, but does seem about on par with what was experienced with the H20

None of the DVRs (TiVo powered or DVR+) line, have been "acceptable" for channel surfing... Even in comparison to some of the oldest of non-DVR receivers.
is this something that D* will improve with this DVR ?:confused:

· Legend
159 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I have noticed that even channel surfing through SD material that doesn't involve big sat jumps, this unit is much slower than the R10 was. For instance, starting at 201 and just going through channels with the channel up function, my R10 takes about 2 seconds to switch. The HR20 takes somewhere between 3 and 5 seconds usually, and on one particularly bad day I saw it take up to 8 seconds between channels. I guess I have two questions:

1. Is this something that might at one point improve with time and future upgrades? For me, it's not a huge annoyance as I watch virtually no live television but it does tie into...

2. I'm curious if some of the slow channel switching might be responsible for some of the partial or unwatchable bugs, as I outlined in another thread that sort of sank quickly without much notice.

What sort of average channel-change times are other HR20 users finding? Do people with powered or solid-state multiswitches find their units running faster than those with passive multiswitches?

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
deecee98 said:
is this something that D* will improve with this DVR ?:confused:
No. Pretty much *any* DVR will have a small delay when channel changing. It's just the nature of what a DVR is, having to buffer the channel and all. Add to that switching from SD to HD which may incur yet more dealy. Having said that, my channel changes aren't more then a couple seconds. But then a DVR isn't made for channel surfing. ;)

Oh, if you have Native video mode set to "on" you may see 4-5 seconds for channel changes. Turn native off to eliminate that.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Do I think it will improve?

Possibly... but I think a lot of it has to do with the new dishes and multiswitches involved... most people when going from the older units (HR10, R10) ect... have also had dish and switch upgrades.

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Do I think it will improve?

Possibly... but I think a lot of it has to do with the new dishes and multiswitches involved... most people when going from the older units (HR10, R10) ect... have also had dish and switch upgrades.
I do & have native set to off

my non high def DVR (D* TiVo) i can easily channel surf, yet with the HR20 it takes 4-5 seconds to change channels & get a picture - which is very frustrating :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.