DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllStar
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HR20 connected to a 50" Panny Plasma via HDMI. I have the DVR set to 1080i and native set to "off" as was recommended by many on this site. When I look under "setup" and general information (cannot remember the tab name) it says TV is 480i. I don't really understand what this informational is supposed to mean or why it would say it. Thoughts?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
What does your front panel read? Which light is lit up.

I'll have to check mine when I get home, but I think the 480i listing in your System Information, is the lowest compatible value... so the HR20 knows what mode to use when it is starting up... (guessing here)

·
AllStar
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will have to check when I get home, but I am pretty sure I was watching HD content and the light was on a higher res (likely 1080i). I will double check this point and post back.

Thanks for the quick response.

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
When you went through the setup, you probably checked 480i. That's all it means. The options you check during setup only make a difference in the resolutions you can select when you use the Format button on the remote. The RES button on the front of the receiver will always allow you to go through all resolutions.

·
AllStar
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeremy W said:
When you went through the setup, you probably checked 480i. That's all it means. The options you check during setup only make a difference in the resolutions you can select when you use the Format button on the remote. The RES button on the front of the receiver will always allow you to go through all resolutions.
Actually at the suggestion of others on this site, I only checked 1080i on the section about what your TV supports. My TV does support all, but this was the recommended approach.

·
AllStar
92 Posts
C6Silver said:
Actually at the suggestion of others on this site, I only checked 1080i on the section about what your TV supports. My TV does support all, but this was the recommended approach.
Boy, am I now confused! My hdtv supports 1080i - Should I set my HD20 to just 1080i (unchecking 4801, 480p and 720P) and turn off Native? Actually being a newbie I'm not exactly sure what Native does?

Anyway can anyone educate this neophyte to this stuff?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
jfolliard said:
Boy, am I now confused! My hdtv supports 1080i - Should I set my HD20 to just 1080i (unchecking 4801, 480p and 720P) and turn off Native? Actually being a newbie I'm not exactly sure what Native does?

Anyway can anyone educate this neophyte to this stuff?

Thanks.
Yes, that would be a an acceptable way to do it. Just make sure when you are finished, that you verify on the front panel that the 1080i LED is lit.

Native passes through the source resolution and requires your TV to re-sync and rescale the image (adds processing time).

Native off tells the HR20 to do all the scaling and send out 1080i to your TV all the time.

I have mine set that way (except I use 720P, the native resolution of my TV) and it works very well. (HDMI)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Biut if you do it that way what well happen when there is no 1080i signal? Sorry I just got my HR20 today and as much as I have read here I still have a long way to go

:D

hasan said:
Yes, that would be a an acceptable way to do it. Just make sure when you are finished, that you verify on the front panel that the 1080i LED is lit.

Native passes through the source resolution and requires your TV to re-sync and rescale the image (adds processing time).

Native off tells the HR20 to do all the scaling and send out 1080i to your TV all the time.

I have mine set that way (except I use 720P, the native resolution of my TV) and it works very well. (HDMI)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Mixer said:
Biut if you do it that way what well happen when there is no 1080i signal? Sorry I just got my HR20 today and as much as I have read here I still have a long way to go

:D
The HR20 will convert any signal to 1080i regardless of what format it receives it in if you use this setting.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
C6Silver said:
I have the HR20 connected to a 50" Panny Plasma via HDMI. I have the DVR set to 1080i and native set to "off" as was recommended by many on this site. When I look under "setup" and general information (cannot remember the tab name) it says TV is 480i. I don't really understand what this informational is supposed to mean or why it would say it. Thoughts?
I was confused about this at first as well. I discovered that the Setup information reports whatever resolution is currently tuned on your tuner. So if you are watching a show in 1080i and go to setup, it should say that your TV is 1080i. Likewise for the rest of the resolutions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.